Sim racers - what are you running?

Man of Honour
What on earth has happened to the selection and pricing of pc gaming wheels? I let my nephews play on one of my setups when they are here and my brother in law was asking about a reasonably priced setup to get them for Christmas... the Thrustmaster one I let them play on has more than doubled in price and most of the competing wheels have either disappeared entirely or gone up by £100-200 :s

Man of Honour
thrustmaster t150s are upto 150. g29 150-179 . thats what you should be looking at in that sort of range.

Talking about having gone up by that much not the budget - I've got a couple of Thrustmasters that I bought at £43 (the updated model now sells around £99) and £150 (currently £360).

My brother in law is talking about spending more in the region of £40-70 which used to have a few decent options now its almost all noname brands with mixed reviews. I'm probably going to suggest I contribute some as it is a Christmas present to try and get something a little more decent but as it is younger kids he doesn't want to spend a massive amount on something.

Caporegime
get a decent used logitech DFGT if you can you can find them on ebay. just look for ones that havent been used much. still a very good wheel for the price.

Man of Honour
get a decent used logitech DFGT if you can you can find them on ebay. just look for ones that havent been used much. still a very good wheel for the price.

As it is a Christmas present I don't think he will go for anything other than brand new.

Man of Honour
hmmm there isnt nothing worth buying under £100 new. seriously save money if not open to 2nd hand.

This is my worry but being for the kids I doubt he is prepared to pay what most of the ones worth buying cost now :( its kind of crazy there used to be a fair selection of not terrible wheels around £40-60 now pretty much nothing.

Associate
This is my worry but being for the kids I doubt he is prepared to pay what most of the ones worth buying cost now :( its kind of crazy there used to be a fair selection of not terrible wheels around £40-60 now pretty much nothing.

I bought my DFGT from this very site for £59.98 in 2010. Still going.

Associate
just ordered a fanatec csl elite with f1 rim and pedals, no load cell yet but will buy it in due course...…..was trying to keep costs down a bit.

should be a decent upgrade from g29, not sure what to expect but looking forward to finding out.

Associate
OP
Nice!

My setup now consists on the following:
CSL Elite PS4 wheel base
P1 rim / McLaren GT3 rim
CSL elite LC pedals
G27 shifter with adapter
Custom made seat and pedal base

Couldn't be happier with the fanatec gear.

Associate
Nice sprints, would love a set myself but i have spent to much this year on sim gear.

New setup is :
Sim lab GT1 evo cockpit and bucket seat.
Fanatec CSW v2.5 with formula carbon a P1 rims.
Fanatec CSL LC pedals.

Associate
Recently upgraded:

Dofreality P3
4 transducers in chassis mode
Pimax 8k VR
Thrustmaster T500 with Ferrari 599 wheel
T3PA Pro pedals with load cell conversion
TH8A shifter with short throw kit

I’m still hopeful the FeelVR wheel will come good, but if that falls through I have my eye on either Sim-plicity or the accuforce v2... will probably wait until the trusty old T500 goes pop...

This hobby is addictive and expensive! Who knew?

Associate
Hey all, I'm going to be getting back into Sim Racing soon (as soon as I move out of my current flat into a bigger house) and want to upgrade my G29.

Whats the best wheel / pedal combination out there for under a grand? I don't do any F1 driving so a standard wheel set up would be prefered.

I would like a manual gear shifter but not 100% essential for now.

Would like to go DD if possible but might be a bit of a stretch for my budget.

Caporegime
cool. i mention it as many think by buying high end gear they will be faster. often its the opposite.

there is plenty of realistic gear out there just depends on the budget. do reasearch though some top end gear can have some big headaches. thats why wheels like basic logitech wheels and thrustmaster are great plug in play work. other fancy base units seem great until they dont work or something goes wrong.

Soldato
cool. i mention it as many think by buying high end gear they will be faster. often its the opposite.

there is plenty of realistic gear out there just depends on the budget. do reasearch though some top end gear can have some big headaches. thats why wheels like basic logitech wheels and thrustmaster are great plug in play work. other fancy base units seem great until they dont work or something goes wrong.
Agree better gear wont make you faster but it does make it a lot more fun.:D

Would it be best to go for something like a Fanatec Clubsport Elite wheel then? How would it compare to something like a Simplicity DD wheel?
The simplicity wheels are very good, much better than any belt driven wheel. My only concern is driver support. Basically simplicity is a one man show so support for the newest games might take a while until he gets around to sorting the drivers out.
The Fanatec elite is a good budget wheel, much better than the g29 you have now.

Back
Top Bottom