Home made burgers / Pink or well done?

Soldato
Some chains like Chili's and Red Robin and many one off boutique places where you can see, through a window, the butcher cutting and grinding the meat fresh.
interesting .. showing the preparation; I've not been to a chilis/usa for a few years, if they are amongst those who show prep .... just learned they started in Dallas, which was where I visited them.

no one on here yet commented on what the reasonably priced home meat grinder would be ?

home made from ready ground mince beef pink.
Slightly pink. I cook them to 65°C
which supermarkets mince/burgers ? ( saw the other day a lot of aldi stuff is rspca assured, but maybe that won't impact hygiene issues of e-coli ?)

Soldato
Just whatever Tesco's fresh mince.

I know I'm taking a risk but I have been fine on every occasion. Not that I have them that often.

It's only beef I like rare, although I'll eat raw fish.

Chicken has to be cooked, lamb and pork I actually prefer well done anyway, I like the fat to be well rendered through the meat and crispy if it's on the edges.

Same with duck and liver, I know both can be served rare, but I just prefer both well done.

Associate
interesting .. showing the preparation; I've not been to a chilis/usa for a few years, if they are amongst those who show prep .... just learned they started in Dallas, which was where I visited them.

Sorry, that was poorly worded on my part. It's the one off boutiques that show prep, not Chili's or Red Robin.

Man of Honour
which supermarkets mince/burgers ? ( saw the other day a lot of aldi stuff is rspca assured, but maybe that won't impact hygiene issues of e-coli ?)

Depends. Either homemade from fresh mince from my local butcher, or Lidl burgers (the 340g for two ones - can't remember what they're called)

Not had a problem with either.

Soldato
noted you can assess the ecoli risk of your supermarkets abattoir ... would make a good phone app ?

https://www.food.gov.uk/business-guidance/auditing-meat-establishments#publication-of-audit-reports
so I can see my waitrose mince/code 2045 from
2045 Dovecote Park Limited Pontefract West Yorkshire has minor infractions on

Q32 Slaughterhouse / Game Handling Establishment Hygiene: All handling and processes from slaughtering to despatch are done in a way that avoids the contamination of meat and offal entering the food chain.
Q33 Slaughterhouse / Game Handling Establishment Hygiene: Any visible contamination removed without delay by trimming or alternative means having an equivalent effect

I was hoping for a clearer percentage ranking !

( https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-basic-hygiene-checksto-prevent-contaminated/ )

Soldato
I use tesco mince but make sure its 15% fat. They do a normal tesco and aberdeen angus with this fat content. This keeps it juicy and pulls the burger together. Also use a burger press which also helps compress the burger and keep them all sizes even has a bit u can hollow out to put in a filling..

Soldato
So, I just ate a burger this morning, was cooked on a barbeque last night, left out overnight not in the fridge.

Bit into it, still slightly raw in the middle.

It was a shop bought burger, that had been in the reduced section, then put into the freezer until it was cooked last night.

I'll report back in a few days.

Soldato
I'll report back in a few days.
lol no you won't :p

(I'm guessing the temp last night was probably exactly in the danger zone for bacteria/baddies build up. Couple that with the fact it was previously frozen, never fully cooked and you're going to be a lucky boy to not get ill in my opinion!)

Soldato
57319896_2329924180666799_8475479404044379806_n.jpg

About like that

Soldato
I think this thread needs an adult/blue rating - did you bite that ?
[french film 'Raw' last night with girls sister tucking into her finger inadvertently cut off with a pair of scissors .. that burgers close]

Soldato
lol no you won't :p

(I'm guessing the temp last night was probably exactly in the danger zone for bacteria/baddies build up. Couple that with the fact it was previously frozen, never fully cooked and you're going to be a lucky boy to not get ill in my opinion!)

Nah all good, I reckon if I had got anything nasty it would be affecting me by now.

Caporegime
Hey folks, more of a home made rather than restaurant question, the likes of GBK used to ask (they may still do I haven't been there for ages) how you wanted your burger, and I used to have it medium I believe / pink in the middle.
Now obviously the rules about steak vs mincemeat are different and when you read up, it is often advised to cook the burger to well done, is there a way to make home made burgers that CAN be a little less well done ? For example, a particular mince better than the other? (Steak mince for example?)

Or should I ditch the idea and just create a burger that is properly cooked through...?

Whilst we are at it, anyone have any good ideas for home made burgers? I have a burger press and fancy using it tomorrow for dinner! (and freezing the rest)

you might want to look up hepatitis E then re-evaluate pink meat

Man of Honour
Pork cooked at 58-60°C is fantastic. Quick sear afterwards and nom.
Pork fillet/tenderloin is especially good. Sousvide at 58°C with salt, pepper, garlic powder and fresh rosemary for 1 1/2 - 2 hours depending on size, sear and slice. Beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom