• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is my GPU dying?

Associate
I've only installed my 3900x today but have since had the following all evening whilst trying to play pubg...

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
As posted in another thread, the CPU was at 50 degrees or under showing all cores at 4175 according to hw monitor when it happens. Totally standard setup, no overclocking just xmp on my ram.

I have recently been seeing fairly frequent crash to desktop (on 2700x pre upgrade) with a pubg crash log generated. Usually I attribute this to the game, but it might happen 3 to 4 times in an evening. This above however is happening anything up to 15 minutes into a game...

Temps are low, rarely go above 40 when really pushed, no artefacting etc, just bsod or even black screen followed shortly after by rebooting.

All drivers are up to date, with all mobo and chipset drivers, windows is a fresh install (1903). GPU not overclocked, just running 120% power limit as it boosts to 2126mhz regardless...

Is my GPU dying or could this be ram, what's the best way to test and check before painful RMA process?

Associate
My previous experience with the WHEA error found it to be related to RAM being unstable or it had errors on it. Might want to run some diagnostics on the RAM to see if they are clear of errors and faults.

Soldato
Is the BIOS updated? Make sure no overclocking is being done, including RAM, it's possible if you've got XMP running that your CPU isn't capable of running it. Memtest could help find RAM issues.

Soldato
I've only installed my 3900x today but have since had the following all evening whilst trying to play pubg...

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
As posted in another thread, the CPU was at 50 degrees or under showing all cores at 4175 according to hw monitor when it happens. Totally standard setup, no overclocking just xmp on my ram.

I have recently been seeing fairly frequent crash to desktop (on 2700x pre upgrade) with a pubg crash log generated. Usually I attribute this to the game, but it might happen 3 to 4 times in an evening. This above however is happening anything up to 15 minutes into a game...

Temps are low, rarely go above 40 when really pushed, no artefacting etc, just bsod or even black screen followed shortly after by rebooting.

All drivers are up to date, with all mobo and chipset drivers, windows is a fresh install (1903). GPU not overclocked, just running 120% power limit as it boosts to 2126mhz regardless...

Is my GPU dying or could this be ram, what's the best way to test and check before painful RMA process?

Thats the error PCIe error on the 4.0 motherboards and the 3000 Ryzen while using NV card with the latest BIOS.

Use the previous 3.40 to see if the error exists.

Associate
OP
Okay I've installed 3.40 bios and still the same issues... just browsing the web and installing aida64 and crashed again, bsod with same exact error. PC was not being taxed in any way at the time.

Soldato
Okay I've installed 3.40 bios and still the same issues... just browsing the web and installing aida64 and crashed again, bsod with same exact error. PC was not being taxed in any way at the time.

Did you hard reset the BIOS settings? Have you uninstalled ALL AMD drivers in safe mode, install them again and THEN flash the BIOS, as per Asrock instructions?
Whats your RAM? X470 Taichi has issues with Trident Z when DOP is used with latest BIOS

Also do you have any GPU around to test, preferably non Nv one

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I didn't hard reset, just flashed back to 3.40, then loaded defaults.

When you say hard reset you mean remove the cmos battery?

I'll try that shortly, I've just put ram back to non xmp and running memtest64 on 20 passes.

Associate
OP
Aah yeah okay, can't do that... it will put me back to a non ryzen 3900x compatible bios and my mate put my 2700x in his PC already.

20 loops of memtest passed without errors but running at 2400mhz... going to do some super position runs to stress the GPU and see if it falls over. Then xmp on and same tests again?

Soldato
Aah yeah okay, can't do that... it will put me back to a non ryzen 3900x compatible bios and my mate put my 2700x in his PC already.

20 loops of memtest passed without errors but running at 2400mhz... going to do some super position runs to stress the GPU and see if it falls over. Then xmp on and same tests again?

Asrock and MSI have said new bios fixing bugs next week.

Soldato

I thought once you flashed a BIOS then that became the default?

That's certainly the behaviour of my old motherboards.

In other words, once I flashed a BIOS it remained even through battery removal/jumper reset.

Have things changed now?

Associate
OP
Asrock and MSI have said new bios fixing bugs next week.

Next week can't come fast enough! There's no rhyme or reason to it, crashes in games but even doing it in windows when it's doing nothing... then it's ran memtest64 without error. I've gone out and left it on at the desktop doing nothing. If it's okay when I get back then I'll enable xmp and run tests again.

Soldato
Next week can't come fast enough! There's no rhyme or reason to it, crashes in games but even doing it in windows when it's doing nothing... then it's ran memtest64 without error. I've gone out and left it on at the desktop doing nothing. If it's okay when I get back then I'll enable xmp and run tests again.

What was the version of bios before the 3.43 you updated?

Did you follow the step by step guide?
Update guide for 3.40
1.Supports AMD next generation Ryzen™ processors
2.Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1
* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
* If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.
* User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.
* If the current BIOS version is older than P2.00, please update BIOS to P2.00(PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.6) before updating this version.

Update guide for 3.43
1.Support SMT mode disable.
2.Change AMD PBO rule with Pinnacle CPU.
* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
* If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.
* User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.
* If the current BIOS version is older than P2.00, please update BIOS to P2.00(PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.6) before updating this version.

I know you do not have APU, however can you follow the steps to log in safe mode and remove the Nvidia and it's drivers and reflash the bios?
Do you use DDU with the setting to block windows from updating drivers automatically?

If you updated from earlier than 2.00 version (December 2018), do you have access to a Ryzen 1000/2000 series? If so, update to the earliest BIOS possible, hard reset everything in BIOS.
Then install 2.00 and all consequent BIOS updates one at the time after successful reboot. Then after you install 3.43, put the Ryzen 3000 on the board?

Associate
OP
@Panos I was using 3.20 then did the instant flash on boot which put 3.43 on in June or whenever it came out.
Just as a side note, when i put the 3900x in I did a fresh install with 1903 and the first thing I did was put the chipset drivers on followed by nvidia drivers.

I can ddu nvidia drivers, but I'm wondering if it's my ram, as so far since using default none xmp it's been fine. Trying to get it to crash but multiple unigene superposition runs, memtest64 and aida64 extreme stress tests and not a single crash... thinking of trying some gaming later when I'm back home and if still stable, ram issue?

Soldato
@Panos I was using 3.20 then did the instant flash on boot which put 3.43 on in June or whenever it came out.
Just as a side note, when i put the 3900x in I did a fresh install with 1903 and the first thing I did was put the chipset drivers on followed by nvidia drivers.

I can ddu nvidia drivers, but I'm wondering if it's my ram, as so far since using default none xmp it's been fine. Trying to get it to crash but multiple unigene superposition runs, memtest64 and aida64 extreme stress tests and not a single crash... thinking of trying some gaming later when I'm back home and if still stable, ram issue?

Look. Leave ram at stock speeds. And play games etc. ignore stress tests.
if is not crashing set DOP. If it crashes then wait for new bios next week.

Back
Top Bottom