Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Soldato
Ye I have ordered some compression type ones, disappointed in the Runderwear though not many runs before they fall apart.

Also signed up for Great Ormond Street Hospital charity to run the London landmarks half marathon for next year :)

Caporegime
Out for a 10 mile today originally I was going for a half marathon but my right leg just seemed to give up for 2 miles at the 5 mile point I sunk from 8:40 a mile to 10 min miles for two miles.

I was able to regain form but I knew I wasnt beating my best time today so I packed up at 10 miles. I feel I might be going to fast out the blocks so I will look to go for about 9:00-9:10 per mile from the off in the future and try and pull back to 8 minutes later on.

I have been using them runderwear which was recommended unfortunately they seemed to start folding at the bottom when running causing chaffing they was good for a while though.

Check your paces. Try to make your first mile the slowest, the last mile the fastest, second mile the second slowest etc.

Also for the LR the pace is rrwallybirrrlevebt until you get experienced and are realling chasing these last minutes. Otherwise, you really can't go too slow as long as you have some kind of running gait.
Once you can do the distance you can work on pace.

Associate
I did a run as many 5 miles laps in 12 hours event on Saturday which was great fun. A Gin aid station popped up on one lap. I had 2 gins and 3 beers on that lap (beer at the other aid station)! It was around a cross country horse event track so the terrain was varied and technical

I did 32miles in total, running for about 5:45 hours out of the 12. The winner was a lady who did 11 laps so over a double marathon.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2509800956

Soldato
That's great running @neilw I hate "lapped" running and think i'd have got bored pretty early on. It's one of the downsides to the new course of the Manchester marathon to me.

Looking at my run from this morning i think i was too fast in places and seemed to really over-tire me and resulted in me walking a bit. Not helped by eating a LOT of fizzy sweets last night which still sat heavy in my stomach. Follows on from my Wednesday run where i ate a protein cookie in the car on the way home and that sat heavy in my stomach. My first 3 miles were all uphill too and it just killed me and resulted in walking, think my 3rd mile showed as 13:00 which is slow even for me!)

I'm liking the new Strava feature where it compares you to the previous month. Looks like i'm pretty much in line with where i was last month. However i'm aiming for a 10miler on Sunday so that should bump me up. It might be my first "perfect" 160 point month with Vitality too if things continue.

Associate
Argh! I am still messing around with this knee. To be fair, it is much improved, but I am going crazy with the enforced not running :(

Hoping things will recover well enough to restart some sort of exercise soon.

Associate
Indeed. Although, I never expected to actually enjoy it. My wife suggested it as a means to get some exercise that didn't need me to drag the bike through the house all the time. I suspect it is probably no cheaper than cycling in the long run though :)

You diet of fizzy sweets and so on sound so close to mine that it is slightly scary. I am terrible for that kind of thing.

Soldato
Anyone ever had what feels like swelling inside below the knee more to the left hand side it comes on more after a run.

I have rested it already for 7 days but it comes back it my first real injury in four years of running so I guess it was sadly going to come at somepoint.

I think im going to have to see a physio when im back off holiday next week.

Underboss
Indeed. Although, I never expected to actually enjoy it. My wife suggested it as a means to get some exercise that didn't need me to drag the bike through the house all the time. I suspect it is probably no cheaper than cycling in the long run though :)

You diet of fizzy sweets and so on sound so close to mine that it is slightly scary. I am terrible for that kind of thing.

No, I came from cycling to running, it's much cheaper, I had 2 bikes, cost me around 5k +

Associate
Anyone ever had what feels like swelling inside below the knee more to the left hand side it comes on more after a run.

I have rested it already for 7 days but it comes back it my first real injury in four years of running so I guess it was sadly going to come at somepoint.

I think im going to have to see a physio when im back off holiday next week.

Have a look at Medial Collateral Ligament injuries. This is what I am suffering with at the moment and it sounds very similar. Pain on inside of leg, just below knee?

http://bit.ly/30A606r

Soldato
Have a look at Medial Collateral Ligament injuries. This is what I am suffering with at the moment and it sounds very similar. Pain on inside of leg, just below knee?

http://bit.ly/30A606r

Thanks im not quite sure it is that though its more further down to the left hand side.

I will go to the doctors when back off holiday try and get a scan done see what the problem is.

Soldato
What’re people’s morning running routines?

I try and go first thing but find I’m much slower/struggle more if I get up and go for a run vs running after work or at weekends.

Normally I wake up and let the dogs out in the garden, have a drink and then drive to the gym (where I run by the canal), although this morning I ran from home. Thinking I might need to get up a little earlier to loosen up better.

On a separate note, think I overdid it Sunday. Wanted a last long run before a half this Sunday coming. Went out for dinner and had a huge burger and 2 pints (not ideal) around 1pm. Then got home around 5pm and did 8 miles at 9:30 pace. Which is a good 30s faster than my usual pace. My legs felt tired this morning on an easy 3 miles. Hoping they ease up before Sunday.

Think that was a factor in my poor marathon performance. I did a little too much in the 10 days before.

Soldato
I'm finally over 1,000 miles this year!

I rarely run in the morning other than parkrun. Morning club run starts at 10am and since I'm up around 7 to walk the dog I'm normally fully awake by then.

Soldato
Real frustrating times for me at the moment being injury free for years I have had to take a break because my left knee issues.

Just back running yesterday I now have a problem with my right leg (mentioned previously) it seems to have lost all coordination when running. My foot starts to bend inwards and it hard to explain but it like it gone dead. I have to stop and walk to be able to run again I never seem to have this problem in general walking. I have just been to Kiev walking for miles no issues and that up plenty of hills so I dont quite get what happening.

Forgot to add by mile four my leg seems to wake up and be fully functional again.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Saturday I destroyed myself on the Eiger 101km,6700m ascent in 17h47. It was very hot which made for a challenging race. Definitely had my lowest of lows during some the later ascents (hunched over poles dry-heaving doing a 55minute mile pace). However it seems everyone suffered equally as my ranking stayed constant the whole day.

As seems to be usual in these races for me is my quads got crushed and I had severe pain on the later downhills which limited pace . Another Brit I was running with for a couple of hours was slower on climbs and descents initially but a little later he was flying down the trails while I struggled. Don't know what I can do to make the bug descents better. I train specifically and try and adjust pace early to save my legs but it never really works out. I could have likely cut 1hr with better descents and better at the start (they changed the course last minute, I was expecting to grind to a halt in a slow forest section but we races up a road at far too fast a pace).

12hrs into the race i was going to scrap all future plans for ultra races. 36hrs later I'm looking to sign up for next year!

Given my injury and stupidly short training cycle I had a goal of around 20-21hrs..

Back
Top Bottom