Bruges

Associate
I went on a mini cruise there. The town is pretty compact, but there's plenty to do. There absolutely loads of chocolate shops, I can't remember but think it's like 80 in the old town, they are all pretty much the same.

This bar is good

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra..._Beer_Wall-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html

They do taster trays for 10 euros (I had the local beers) but they also do a "light" and "strong" selection

You can go on a boat trip for 8 euros. There are 3 or 4 breweries that you can tour. Have a coffee in the square overlooking the clock tower.

Food is pricey but does get a bit cheaper if you move out from the square.

Another option to get there would be a P&O Cruise from Southampton, I think we paid just over £200 each (in November) for two nights, I think you can get 3 night trips that goto Amsterdam aswell

Last edited:
Soldato
Loving the 'In Bruges' references :D

I usually drive as it's easy. Book a table at Ribs n Beer as well.

Yep, just don't use it as a tour guide. Went to touch the blood and it was filmed in a different church to where the blood actually is. Ended up spending a couple hours walking out to the actual film location church afterwards which was actually a pretty cool place :p

Commissario
We had the first EuroDonnyDo in 2002 and went to Bruges (along with quite a lot of other places).

79kpf6x.jpeg
feUSwYS.jpeg
P48Tzob.jpeg
9l9af5Y.jpeg
w4RHA6q.jpeg

We even found an Internet cafe (this was long before phones had the internet and we didn't take any laptops or anything like that) and banned some people :D

Soldato
Ooh, ooh, can i share some of my pics?

15930413132_ea0ccb9656_b_d.jpg

15745320887_ff84e4b6ee_b_d.jpg

15743636098_9cb722f744_b_d.jpg

Actually, that's all i can find on flickr, i have them on my hard drive somewhere though, i loved Bruges, the architecture, the beer, the food, i could happily live there!

Associate
I went about 5 years ago and I got the Eurostar to Brussels you can get some good deals if you book well in advance , I then got a train from Brussels to Bruges , again cheaper to book in advance , its a very small place so keep that in mind and there isnt loads too do , its a lovely little place to relax , also its not the cheapest , Enjoy,.

Associate
Lovely city, though I prefer Ghent. Absolutely beautiful city. Highly recommend a day or two there if you get the chance. Also if the weather is nice, get to Ostend.

I love Belgium. Best chips I've ever had and you have to get a dirty Bicky burger after a few beverages!

Soldato
OP
Thanks Guys (and girls if there are any!)

I have booked the ferry, 4 people with 2 cabins and brasserie breakfast and dinner outbound with kitchen buffet inbound came to £732. fri depart, arrive sat, sat night air bnd, sunday return, monday arrive back in hull
Tijl's place AirBnB £153

£220 including food which is about the same cost as flights and trains alone and not including the Saturday night. Flight / Eurostar just seems like too much hassle, too many changes and waiting around

Sure my dad will like it :)

Soldato
Thanks Guys (and girls if there are any!)

I have booked the ferry, 4 people with 2 cabins and brasserie breakfast and dinner outbound with kitchen buffet inbound came to £732. fri depart, arrive sat, sat night air bnd, sunday return, monday arrive back in hull
Tijl's place AirBnB £153

£220 including food which is about the same cost as flights and trains alone and not including the Saturday night. Flight / Eurostar just seems like too much hassle, too many changes and waiting around

Sure my dad will like it :)

Nice one. Enjoy:)

Soldato
OP
Got back today, incredible time. I love Bruges and could see myself living there someday. One of the only cities I could actually, including Copenhagen.
Very few cars, lots of dogs, no cats, great food and drink. We did a 30 min river trip which was great, beer tasting, flea market ate truffles and waffles. The ferry from Hull was also fun and way better than the train or cheapo airline

Commissario
Sound like you had a really nice time in Bruges, it's a fairytale town full of canals, bridges, cobbled streets and all those beautiful, fairytale churches. Did you see the swans?

Soldato
OP
Sound like you had a really nice time in Bruges, it's a fairytale town full of canals, bridges, cobbled streets and all those beautiful, fairytale churches. Did you see the swans?

I did, lots of swans. and dogs too, lots of dogs, no cats mind

I'm just glad he got to see it before he died

Eeeeeeeer, thanks I guess. Strange comment, should I be wary of something?

Back
Top Bottom