Bruges

Soldato
We are planning on going to Bruges in Belgium for my dad 60th birthday in July

To anyone that has been from UK, what is the best way to get there? I see there are multiple options

Fly to Brussels then train from Brussels to Bruges (4 hours + airport time)
Fly to France then train / other mean to get to Bruges (?)
Train to London then Eurostar to Bruges (6 hours)
Overnight Ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge (overnight, 13 hours)

Any advice is welcome on getting there, things to do or other place recommendations

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Leeds, Parents in Doncaster. So think the only airport option really is Manchester
Car would be good but for getting to other places but would probably end up driving a lot rather than just going out for a wonder. I know my dad will hate driving for that amount of time (or driving then taking the car on the ferry)
Thanks, think Eurostar sounds like the best option

Soldato
OP
Thanks all.

P&O used to do a 2for1 on an overnight ferry + coach to Bruges from Hull. It was pretty cheap as well from what I remember.

When I try this and select buy now, ts comes out at £236 using the link below...

https://www.2for1minicruises.co.uk/deal/poferries-bruges-winter/

How is this £40 per person? Ferry sounds like fun to be fair, travel fri night I take it, arrive Sat and stay somewhere in Bruges Sat night then back Sunday overnight?

edit, found why...

Prices start from £40 per person based on Sunday to Wednesday sailings. Thursday sailings start from £43 per person. Friday sailings start from £63 per person. Saturday sailings start from £45 per person.

Soldato
OP
Thanks Guys (and girls if there are any!)

I have booked the ferry, 4 people with 2 cabins and brasserie breakfast and dinner outbound with kitchen buffet inbound came to £732. fri depart, arrive sat, sat night air bnd, sunday return, monday arrive back in hull
Tijl's place AirBnB £153

£220 including food which is about the same cost as flights and trains alone and not including the Saturday night. Flight / Eurostar just seems like too much hassle, too many changes and waiting around

Sure my dad will like it :)

Soldato
OP
Got back today, incredible time. I love Bruges and could see myself living there someday. One of the only cities I could actually, including Copenhagen.
Very few cars, lots of dogs, no cats, great food and drink. We did a 30 min river trip which was great, beer tasting, flea market ate truffles and waffles. The ferry from Hull was also fun and way better than the train or cheapo airline

Soldato
OP
Sound like you had a really nice time in Bruges, it's a fairytale town full of canals, bridges, cobbled streets and all those beautiful, fairytale churches. Did you see the swans?

I did, lots of swans. and dogs too, lots of dogs, no cats mind

I'm just glad he got to see it before he died

Eeeeeeeer, thanks I guess. Strange comment, should I be wary of something?

Back
Top Bottom