• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Something super is coming...

Associate
It's different because AMD was competitive back then and did price low. Today, they are not competitive and price high.

They are competitive, just not at the high end, which is £700+ territory these days anyway. Punters will buy Nvidia even if a cheaper AMD alternative exists, that's how mind-share works.

Permabanned
They are competitive, just not at the high end, which is £700+ territory these days anyway. Punters will buy Nvidia even if a cheaper AMD alternative exists, that's how mind-share works.

People don't buy AMD today because it's way above what they are willing to spend, and for 150-200$ you don't receive substantial performance improvements over what was offered 3-4 years ago.

AMD offers competitive performance up to RTX 2070, but their customers don't buy at so inflated pricing.

Caporegime
People don't buy AMD today because it's way above what they are willing to spend, and for 150-200$ you don't receive substantial performance improvements over what was offered 3-4 years ago.

AMD offers competitive performance up to RTX 2070, but their customers don't buy at so inflated pricing.
You may think it’s inflated pricing, but it’s very competitive. 5700XT is a hundred to a hundred and fifty notes cheaper than a 2070 super.

Associate
You may think it’s inflated pricing, but it’s very competitive. 5700XT is a hundred to a hundred and fifty notes cheaper than a 2070 super.

The 2070 Super is a decent chunk better mind you, the 5700XT can near hit the stock performances of the 2070S with a huge overclock, but then again, the 2070S can be overclocked itself. I'm currently sat with an order for the 2070S but if these ASUS cards are still out of stock by the time the 5700XT AIB cards come out, I might make the order switch.

Soldato
The 2070 Super is a decent chunk better mind you, the 5700XT can near hit the stock performances of the 2070S with a huge overclock, but then again, the 2070S can be overclocked itself. I'm currently sat with an order for the 2070S but if these ASUS cards are still out of stock by the time the 5700XT AIB cards come out, I might make the order switch.

They seem quite close stock vs stock to me.
https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/amd-radeon-rx-5700-xt-8gb-review/

Permabanned
Soldato
Seems to vary from review site to review site, usually seen that it's about a 12% difference, that's the number that's in my head anyway.
Problem with the review sites is they test single samples. A ‘good’ 5700xt may get very close to a ‘bad’ 2070S and a ‘good’ 2070S may be some way ahead of a ‘bad’ 5700xt, hence all the variance.

Caporegime
I don't think any of us are fine with it mate, but the fact remains that Nvidia are responsible for the prices we see today. They tested the waters, found that people would still buy no matter how much they gouged, and then it became the new norm.

I honestly can't blame AMD for raising their own prices in this situation, and I would do exactly the same thing in their place, that's how business works I'm sorry to say. Being 50% cheaper than the competition may win you lots of goodwill, but it's not necessarily sensible for your company's long term future.

Now, as a consumer I absolutely hate the new norm, but the only way to change it is to stop buying graphics cards. I know no one else will, we've seen that clearly enough with Nvidia's RTX series, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. At that point I then need to find the cheapest option, even if it's still overpriced, and at the moment that's AMD. It's that or ditch PC gaming entirely, which I'm not prepared to do.
Whilst I am guilty of buying expensive GPUs, AMD have generally been the good guys and many of their GPUs I have bought have been superb value/performance. I bought the 2080Ti, as I had all my overtime money set in a separate account and that paid for it and whilst I am happy with the performance of the 2080Ti, I can't help but feel a bit peeved at spending £1179 on it. It has gotten to the point where I will look at a console now and happily sit in front of my TV and game. I will still keep my PC but will be like so many others and buy the cheaper options (1050/570).

For clarity, my last lot of overtime, paid for a cruise for me and the wife in October and that puts things into perspective a little.

Soldato
Seems to vary from review site to review site, usually seen that it's about a 12% difference, that's the number that's in my head anyway.

i will be doing my own testing once the 2070S Fe arrives and i also got a block coming for my 5700XT next week.

there is a trend that in games which are well programmed dx12 titles, from studios that we know produce quality code, that the balance is skewed in favour of AMD. Where we have DX11 single thread situations Nvidia is generally king.

Final Fantasy, Total War all this kinda DX11 stuff will run ok on AMD and better
on nvidia but AMD has a really good performance story elsewhere. When the 5700XT is good, it’s really good, overclocked almost 2080S speed in Forza and a couple
of other titles but you gonna need a
block or a triple fan setup.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Whilst I am guilty of buying expensive GPUs, AMD have generally been the good guys and many of their GPUs I have bought have been superb value/performance. I bought the 2080Ti, as I had all my overtime money set in a separate account and that paid for it and whilst I am happy with the performance of the 2080Ti, I can't help but feel a bit peeved at spending £1179 on it. It has gotten to the point where I will look at a console now and happily sit in front of my TV and game.

Agree @Gregster , I got a PS4 last year after an injury kept me off work for a month and was surprised how good it was. I cant see how dedicated GPUs can maintain charging so much as I foresee the PC gaming numbers dropping if the new consoles up it a notch.

Soldato
Agree @Gregster , I got a PS4 last year after an injury kept me off work for a month and was surprised how good it was. I cant see how dedicated GPUs can maintain charging so much as I foresee the PC gaming numbers dropping if the new consoles up it a notch.

Can't remember the game, Horizon or something on the PS4 (Non Pro), that looks AMAZING on my 4K TV in HDR despite only been 1080p.

Soldato
You got to think, a Console with a Ryzen 3700 and RTX2080 performance would have some next gen ground braking never before seen graphics that would make our eyes pop out.

Or... Maybe developers are squeezing all the power out of the GPU's on PC's these days, I mean look at Forza 4, amazing graphics, runs at 60 average HDR, 4K, all ultra on a 1080Ti.

Man of Honour
there is a trend that in games which are well programmed dx12 titles, from studios that we know produce quality code, that the balance is skewed in favour of AMD. Where we have DX11 single thread situations Nvidia is generally king.

I haven't seen any really good DX12 implementations personally - they generally seem to have issues like stutter or have a bloated "feel" and struggle to feel like 60 FPS until you are way over that, etc.

Soldato

Sorry can't believe you are saying this, when the RX570 is literally the best performance/fps to the dollar card at the moment according to Hardware Unboxed.

People gaming at 1080p 60Hz literally only need to spend $130~$200 to get RX570 4GB or 8GB and they can game at high/ultra at 1080p with around 50-60fps on most games; Nvidia on the other hand only had the more expensive 1050ti with only 66% the performance of the RX570, and now even on the new gen with the 1650 that is STILL slower than the RX570 4GB AND costing around 1.5x more.

Soldato
Sorry can't believe you are saying this, when the RX570 is literally the best performance/fps to the dollar card at the moment according to Hardware Unboxed.

People gaming at 1080p 60Hz literally only need to spend $130~$200 to get RX570 4GB or 8GB and they can game at high/ultra at 1080p with around 50-60fps on most games; Nvidia on the other hand only had the more expensive 1050ti with only 66% the performance of the RX570, and now even on the new gen with the 1650 that is STILL slower than the RX570 4GB AND costing around 1.5x more.

He's obviously referring to 1400p/ultrawide/4k gaming.

Back
Top Bottom