Samsung KS7000 55" > LG OLED 55"?

Soldato
Just annoying if I was buying 65" TV use it for gaming I'd be worried with a long gaming session, I have my gaming pc, PS3 and Xbox 360 connected to my pc LCD monitor not the plasma tv

Soldato
Just annoying if I was buying 65" TV use it for gaming I'd be worried with a long gaming session, I have my gaming pc, PS3 and Xbox 360 connected to my pc LCD monitor not the plasma tv

Its not even a long gaming session you have to worry about, 6 x 1 hour sessions degrades the panel just the same as 1 x 6 hour session. The affect is cumulative.

Associate
And yet it still happens in 'normal' use cases. If its a non issue, I still say it should be covered under warranty.
No disagreement there. From what I've read, so please correct me with relevant articles if there are any, the amount of time you have to be on the same content without damaging is in the 1,000s of hours not the 10s?

Soldato
* Close your curtains, otherwise TV is not bright enough
* dont watch any news
* dont play too many games
* dont watch any sport with static scoreboards
* Babysit your TV
* Enjoy fighting your retailer when you get burn in

I think that covers most of it :p

The TV is plenty bright, but it sounds like your lounge is on your lawn

And yet it still happens in 'normal' use cases. If its a non issue, I still say it should be covered under warranty.

My extended 4 year warranty covers burn in. Burn in is also covered when you buy an OLED from several retailers in the USA.

Haters always going to hate regardless. I used to be like you, frightful of change - it's normal human nature. But once I went OLED, I couldn't believe I didn't do it sooner. 300 hours of gaming later, not a single issue with image retention or burn in at all and the image quality blows QLED away.

Soldato
Do you mean QLED? Not yet, amusingly taking a similar path to you, selling KS7000 as I type (hence throwing it in MM) but going down Samsung QLED route 65" (just suits me more then OLED atm) with it arriving next week so shall see in regards to Apple TV as it has it also and can give feedback if no ones does before hand.

Soldato
OP
Do you mean QLED? Not yet, amusingly taking a similar path to you, selling KS7000 as I type (hence throwing it in MM) but going down Samsung QLED route 65" (just suits me more then OLED atm) with it arriving next week so shall see in regards to Apple TV as it has it also and can give feedback if no ones does before hand.
Yeah I did, phone corrected it. I've been reading some reviews of the Apple TV app and people complaining about films only playing in SD because the TV doesn't recognise the film in UHD.

I think I'll stick with OLED for now and keep my Apple TV 4k as it has Dolby Atmos and Dolby vision support with the OLED DA/DV. :)

Soldato

My extended 4 year warranty covers burn in. Burn in is also covered when you buy an OLED from several retailers in the USA.

Haters always going to hate regardless. I used to be like you, frightful of change - it's normal human nature. But once I went OLED, I couldn't believe I didn't do it sooner. 300 hours of gaming later, not a single issue with image retention or burn in at all and the image quality blows QLED away.

Test how LG is send them a email saying you have left a videogame on pause for 3 days and now it has screenburn. See what the reply is.

Soldato
Test how LG is send them a email saying you have left a videogame on pause for 3 days and now it has screenburn. See what the reply is.

At the same time, I'll call my insurance and tell them I left the stove on for 3 days while I was away, and I left my car windows open and unlocked for 3 days while I was away.

Soldato

Well done, your new ££££ TV has lasted 300 hours?

Caporegime
* Close your curtains, otherwise TV is not bright enough [I only have to do this on a really bright sunny day (and usually only with HDR content as I want to get the full contrast experience of really bright highlights and dark areas) and even then, you'll have to do this with the vast majority of TVs and in fact, OLED are actually slightly better than most of the LCDs in this area due to them being better when it comes to the reflections as someone posted in a video on the previous page in this thread or another]
* dont watch any news [I don't as I got no interest in it, anything worthwhile reading, I'll see on my google news feed]
* dont play too many games [I play loads]
* dont watch any sport with static scoreboards [no interest in watching sports so can't comment here]
* Babysit your TV [ I did this at first for the first month or 2 but then realised there was no need to]
* Enjoy fighting your retailer when you get burn in [not had this happen]

But other than that enjoy all these perks of OLED:

- FAR better response times i.e. motion clarity in terms of the lack of ghosting/trailing
- amazing contrast ratio with true deep blacks, which you also get in SDR content, unfortunately people don't quite understand just how much of a difference this makes to the overall IQ until they see one for themselves in a proper home environment
- perfect viewing angles
- lifelike picture, anyone who owns one always describes it like looking through a window
- no issues with halo'ing or blooming in HDR content

I think that covers most of it ;)

I think that covers most of it :p

But on a more serious note.

I have had my e7 for 3 years this October/November iirc.

About 2500 hours on it now, usage be mostly gaming, films and tv shows, most of the time, it has been HDR content and still not a single sign of burn in or even temporary image retention and I definitely haven't been baby sitting it, only thing you might consider baby sitting is if I know I am going to be away from the TV for longer than 30 minutes, I'll just turn it off, but I've done this on all my previous LCD and plasma TVs too....

TV still plenty bright enough, so much I don't use more than 40% OLED light setting for SDR content as I have a proper setup with regards to where my TV is and the windows etc.

Who exactly would leave their TV on pause screen for 3 days????? :rolleyes:

And either way, it still wouldn't happen because the LG TVs have:

- screen dimmer that drops the oled brightness to 0% after inactivity on the PC/consoles (handy if you don't use a screensaver)
- screen saver that kicks in automatically after 5 minutes
- TV will power off after 4 hours of inactivity

Sony and Panasonic probably also have stuff similar to that.

Soldato
Not the same at all. Screenburn is when a static high contrast image is left on screen either through one single instance or (seemingly with oled on this one)- through smaller multiple increments. If the warranty specifically states it protects against screenburn, and you have it, either through accident or using normal extended use on sources that naturally have bright images, where 72 hours in one sitting is the norm and not that unusual (ie in 24 hour arcades or business use) then test the warranty claim, send them a email.

Whenever someone states their screen is burn proof or have "warranty" to protect them , I ask them to prove it with their own expensive TV by leaving it on for the weekend.

Would I be happy to prove it and leave my pioneer plasma on pause? Nope.

Would I be happy to prove it and leave my Samsung qled pc monitor on pause? Yep.

Would I believe insurance protection claim on burn in warranty on plasma and oled panel? Nah.

72 hours is not unreasonable, say if left on BBC news, and falls under normal use.

On your desktop or phone you have the same images they do not get screenburn even after months of use.

Soldato
Well done, your new ££££ TV has lasted 300 hours?

Relax bro, only so many hours in the day I can play games, many thousands more to come

Not the same at all. Screenburn is when a static high contrast image is left on screen either through one single instance or (seemingly with oled on this one)- through smaller multiple increments. If the warranty specifically states it protects against screenburn, and you have it, either through accident or using normal extended use on sources that naturally have bright images, where 72 hours in one sitting is the norm and not that unusual (ie in 24 hour arcades or business use) then test the warranty claim, send them a email.

Whenever someone states their screen is burn proof or have "warranty" to protect them , I ask them to prove it with their own expensive TV by leaving it on for the weekend.

Would I be happy to prove it and leave my pioneer plasma on pause? Nope.

Would I be happy to prove it and leave my Samsung qled pc monitor on pause? Yep.

Would I believe insurance protection claim on burn in warranty on plasma and oled panel? Nah.

72 hours is not unreasonable, say if left on BBC news, and falls under normal use.

On your desktop or phone you have the same images they do not get screenburn even after months of use.

Actually screen burn in is very common on Samsung AMOLED Galaxy S phones. But it's caused by people who don't have the auto screen off function, they just leave the screen on sititng there doing nothing for hours

Associate
If that's your normal use then yes burn in is a threat and OLED is definitely not for you. :)

"Update 05/31/2019: The TVs have now been running for over 9000 hours (around 5 years at 5 hours every day). Uniformity issues have developed on the TVs displaying Football and FIFA 18, and are starting to develop on the TV displaying Live NBC. Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV."
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Soldato
Relax bro, only so many hours in the day I can play games, many thousands more to come

Actually screen burn in is very common on Samsung AMOLED Galaxy S phones. But it's caused by people who don't have the auto screen off function, they just leave the screen on sititng there doing nothing for hours

Take note what the screen is on those phones. Oled. Not lcd

Soldato
I still would and have chosen OLED because perfect blacks and amazing contrast ratio is worth the potential for some screen burn. Far better than having to deal with LCD's backlighting issues.

Caporegime
I still would and have chosen OLED because perfect blacks and amazing contrast ratio is worth the potential for some screen burn. Far better than having to deal with LCD's backlighting issues.

Yup exactly.

It is absolutely painful using LCD displays now due to milking blacks, haloing and blooming.

Back
Top Bottom