Samsung KS7000 55" > LG OLED 55"?

Caporegime
OLED also comes with banding, near black crush and so on if your trying to insinuate they dont have panel issues as well.

Yup you're not wrong there, the banding in 5% grey areas is bad but once again, it is a highly overblown "issue" imo, let the TV do a few compensation cycles and it is very hard to notice in "normal usage" i.e. the main times you'll notice it in are the "torture" tests, which generally last only a few seconds, if that and one of the most well known torture tests for this i.e. marco polo is terrible quality anyway where other issues i.e. all the noise in the sky are actually more distracting than the banding itself. Still I rather have that over the colour/gradient banding LCDs can have at times. No doubt, my panasonic plasma was better here for the uniformity in low grey scenes.

Black crush? Another thing, which people overblow and don't actually really understand what they're talking about, yes, it was a bit of an issue on the first gen oleds but not really since the 2017/2018 models, just because detail is there in the source doesn't mean it is meant to be seen, you just have to read this article to understand more about it:

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-tx-65cz950-4k-uhd-oled-review.11860

The final side-by-side had us looking at an image area I feel too many people misunderstand and that is shadow detail and what you should be able to see in a given scene. Sowa highlighted this with Morgan Freeman’s introduction in Oblivion, where he lights a cigar and then his face disappears into the darkness. You should just make out the very left edge of his face and his eyes. Everything else should be in complete black.

The LG was showing too much of this scene where we could actually see the back wall behind Freeman. Just because that data might be in the image when mastered and brought out with incorrect gamma or panel brightness, it doesn’t mean you are supposed to see that detail. This is important in a scene like the one being highlighted as it can completely change the feeling and mood towards the character. He no longer looks menacing if you can see him clearly, like he was displayed on the LG. Again, we had no control over this aspect of the demo, but it did make sense and highlighted the expertise of the old plasma technicians managing to get the gradations between absolute black and just above correct. There were other examples shown where the CZ950 handled shadow detail without clipping and in a more dynamic way.

My panny plasma may have showed more detail in dark scenes but it wasn't "accurate" or better yet, the way the content was meant to be viewed in the first place....

And if you really want to fine tune this sort of thing then use madvr, this will give you complete control over highlights, dark areas and so on.

As I always say, the one thing which LCD is great for is for low quality content as it "masks" all the issues in the source with its low contrast ratio and so on i.e. noise, banding, gradient banding and so on and can maybe make the image look "cleaner" than on an OLED.

Soldato
I disagree with that, LCD is never good with low quality sources either low resolution and/high compression video. It needs hd and low compression. Plasma does far better looks great with sd.

Back
Top Bottom