Looking for advice on first build

Associate
OP
well, not really. just needs some tweaking. spending money in the wrong places (eg waste of £50 for fans you don't need, pcie4 ssd etc)
Fair enough, what would you change in it?

I'm guessing firstly back to the 2070 super
Then, changing the ssd from the pcie4 to 2gb of pc ie.

The fans were there from a case I had, but it wouldn't fit th e 2080 super so they can be disregarded based on whatever case is suggested

Man of Honour
Permabanned
Are gsync monitors far better than freesync?

No, they are just more expensive because of royalty fees that the display manufacturers must pay to nvidia. And these fees are transferred to you and are large!

What's the problem to get a Radeon VII 16GB HBM2 and a Freesync monitor, as suggested above?

He has a £2500 budget. The 3700X is better for gaming than the 2700X. Even an R5 3600 would perform better in that regard.

The Vega 56 isn't a 4K gpu no matter how much you undervolt it or mess with it. Unless of course you like playing at 30-40fps.

Everything is digital, you don't need a DVD writer in 2019. And the case looks like it was designed by a 10 year old child.

We were discussing to reduce it in half, if you don't mind.
What do you mean by everything is digital? Many people use Audio CDs in their autos and CD Mini Audio Systems in their homes.

Ryzen 7 3700X is overpriced, 100 quid more for a not significant performance gain.

Associate
OP
Apologies I never noticed your build above.

in relation to the case, it only comes with 1 fan installed and you haven't suggested any additional case fans above the alphacool eisbaer water cooling unit, would this be suffice?

to be clear, I'm not asking in a cheeky way, completely from a first time builder noob perspective.

is the eisbaer difficult to set up?

Thanks

Man of Honour
@Deanoreido i specifically didn't spec any more fans as it's not needed :)
the case comes with 1 fan - goes at the rear to be an exhaust.
the aio comes with 2x 140mm fans - use these along with the radiator as an intake at the front.
3 decent fans are all you need.

the eisbaer comes fully set up already, you don't have to mess around with it...unless you want to add to the loop in the future

Soldato
We were discussing to reduce it in half, if you don't mind.
What do you mean by everything is digital? Many people use Audio CDs in their autos and CD Mini Audio Systems in their homes.

Ryzen 7 3700X is overpriced, 100 quid more for a not significant performance gain.

Everything is digital i.e Steam, Origin or UPlay etc. As for Audio there are lots of streaming music websites. No need to use a CD anymore.

The 2700X is also worse for gaming. Even the 6 core R5 3600 will beat it in the majority of games.

Permabanned
Apologies I never noticed your build above.
in relation to the case, it only comes with 1 fan installed and you haven't suggested any additional case fans above the alphacool eisbaer water cooling unit, would this be suffice?

:confused: :eek:

Have you heard of positive air pressure in a case? The cases come with 1 pre-installed fan in front (be careful) in order to push more air into the case, thus creating positive air pressure inside.

But maybe you already know everything and don't need our advices?!

Soldato
But maybe you already know everything and don't need our advices?!
He was asking a question not making a statement of fact - plus he led with the word - "Apologies" and ended asking, "would this suffice?"

I'm not sure he could have been anymore eloquent in relating his apologies to his lack of understanding.

Man of Honour
@Plec 4k's got me on block hence that's why he can't see my reply to @Deanoreido :)
so it was taken out of context.

@Deanoreido i suggest you take 4k8kw10's posts with a large grain of salt (or just ignore them)
they're usually pointless and not very helpful at the best of times, and at worst, confuses people (not unlike yourself) asking for advice

Man of Honour
@Plec well 4k should be on permanent forum block tbh.
adds nothing to the conversation, frequently gives incorrect advice at the best of times, twists data to fit his agenda...
...the worst kind of "help" one can offer a newbie looking for advice...
:rolleyes:

Associate
OP
I don't see his problem at all, I've genuinely took the advice and builds people are sending me... Going away and looking at the recommendations they give and coming back with queries to clear up any confusion I myself have on it.

@tamzzy I've been looking up the alphacool more since my last post and I'm finding limited reviews on it (in the past few years), has the system been superseded in 2019 by a new AIO system... Ie. Corsair, nxt etc. This is just going by basing my information on all of the 'top aio coolers ' and is there a significant increase in Cooling over air such as the dark rock pro?

Thanks again and apologies, it's a lot of money to spend to be unsure

Soldato
@tamzzy I've been looking up the alphacool more since my last post and I'm finding limited reviews on it (in the past few years), has the system been superseded in 2019 by a new AIO system... Ie. Corsair, nxt etc. This is just going by basing my information on all of the 'top aio coolers ' and is there a significant increase in Cooling over air such as the dark rock pro?
How key is relative silence to your build?

Quality air has parity with AIOs (assuming adequate case airflow) and has less points of failure and will last years - worst case scenario you swap out a fan. The Dark Rock Pro is cheaper and will give you additional funds to get a case built with relative silence if this is a factor(?) (but not crucial - you could just pocket the difference).

That said once installed - AIOs are easy to work around and make maintenance/access to your components relatively easy compared to a house brick filling your case.

*For full disclosure i should declare i'm AIR bias.

Man of Honour
has the system been superseded in 2019 by a new AIO system
yes, it's been superceeded by the eisbaer extreme

Ie. Corsair, nxt etc.
they're basically all from the same manufacturer. they're all much of a muchness because there are only a handful of oems.
asetek makes corsair, nzxt, ocuk unbranded, evga, thermaltake
cooler master makes their own
alphacool makes alphacool, bequiet and fractal design
enermax makes their own
dont know about raijintek, silverstone

there a significant increase in Cooling over air such as the dark rock pro?
the top end air coolers perform equally to the top end aio coolers

reasons to get a air cooler:
nothing much to go wrong
(usually cheaper than an aio equivalent)

reasons to get an aio cooler:
looks better
easier to install
one might not want a 1.2kg lump of metal hanging off the mobo

Associate
OP
yes, it's been superceeded by the eisbaer extreme

they're basically all from the same manufacturer. they're all much of a muchness because there are only a handful of oems.
asetek makes corsair, nzxt, ocuk unbranded, evga, thermaltake
cooler master makes their own
alphacool makes alphacool, bequiet and fractal design
enermax makes their own
dont know about raijintek, silverstone

the top end air coolers perform equally to the top end aio coolers

reasons to get a air cooler:
nothing much to go wrong
(usually cheaper than an aio equivalent)

reasons to get an aio cooler:
looks better
easier to install
one might not want a 1.2kg lump of metal hanging off the mobo
Ah fair enough makes sense.

I'm seeing @PhilipOmnis thread as well atm (he's very similar price) and I'm in a similar boat to him.... Undecided on EXACTLY what I want.

@tamzzy @Plec you guys are both great thanks, it's just trying to get to the bottom of exactly what's the best I could do for my budget.

I really can't work out what would be the best of the two for me to go for since you make fair points about either air or aio @tamzzy

Man of Honour
I'm seeing @PhilipOmnis thread as well atm (he's very similar price) and I'm in a similar boat to him.... Undecided on EXACTLY what I want.
yeah. tbh, both of you guys could probably have the same build spec ;)

I really can't work out what would be the best of the two for me to go for since you make fair points about either air or aio @tamzzy
there's no right or wrong answer, just depends on what you need want
for example: me - all my previous builds have been either aio cooled or custom water cooled, but i've just built a small air-cooled build, because aio cooled cpu and gpu wouldn't have fitted in the case that i wanted.
see if it sparks any inspiration ;) https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tamzzys-back-to-air-cooling-itx-build.18862455/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
yeah. tbh, both of you guys could probably have the same build spec ;)

there's no right or wrong answer, just depends on what you need want
for example: me - all my previous builds have been either aio cooled or custom water cooled, but i've just built a small air-cooled build, because aio cooled cpu and gpu wouldn't have fitted in the case that i wanted.
see if it sparks any inspiration ;) https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/tamzzys-back-to-air-cooling-itx-build.18862455/

I contacted Overclockers re: LG 27GL850-B as suggested in the built you sent.

Apparently the next batch of these is not due with Overclockers until September, and the person who emailed back said that due to the amount of Pre-Orders of the monitor currently, he doubted that there would be enough stock for me to get one from that batch.

Is there any other suggestions on monitors etc? Or buying from US and getting shipped over? I've not had computer parts shipped from US before so not sure if it's safe or risky due to the shipping.

Cheers again,
Dean

Soldato
alphacool one of few companies that make radiators. asetek i believe dont own the factory where they get theirs nor do EKWB. why you find differing brands and OEM using the same radiators. only alphacool are completely different. sure they own 60% of the factory in china and it makes car radiators too .

very very expensive to actually make them , last count 7 years ago only 3 factories that made PC rads in the mainstream terms as we know off

@Plec 4k's got me on block hence that's why he can't see my reply to @Deanoreido :)
so it was taken out of context.

@Deanoreido i suggest you take 4k8kw10's posts with a large grain of salt (or just ignore them)
they're usually pointless and not very helpful at the best of times, and at worst, confuses people (not unlike yourself) asking for advice

made me laugh.

@Plec quoted Master in this build? tehe

Associate
I contacted Overclockers re: LG 27GL850-B as suggested in the built you sent.

Apparently the next batch of these is not due with Overclockers until September, and the person who emailed back said that due to the amount of Pre-Orders of the monitor currently, he doubted that there would be enough stock for me to get one from that batch.

Is there any other suggestions on monitors etc? Or buying from US and getting shipped over? I've not had computer parts shipped from US before so not sure if it's safe or risky due to the shipping.

Cheers again,
Dean

I was looking at the same monitor for mine and noticed this alternatives would be nice. Although most of the reviews state it's the best at this price range and size.

Back
Top Bottom