• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

3700x question

Associate
Hi

I am currently running the rig in my sig.
On stock settings my cpu goes upto 1.5v and mid to high 50's during gaming which I think is rather high for a cpu being cooled with a ekwb custom loop with a 360 rad.

I can run this cpu at 4.3oc on all cores at a voltage of 1.325v with offset at turbo setting so goes up to 1.35 under load and the cpu is mid to high 40's during gaming.

I have read that a ot of people say it is no point manually overclocking the 3700x as the gains are not massive etc etc

My question is is it ok to run my cpu with the manual oc for everyday use or am i harming it by having a manual voltage of 1.325 all the time or is there a better option with my set up

The temps in the dynamic case are not brilliant and my gtx1080ti was getting upto 84c during gaming and I have been trying different configs with the raditor and fans to see if I can get better temps and I am now with a top mounted rad with fans dragging air out of the case through the rad and 3 side fans and 2 bottom fans as intake, this as helped the gtx as i am at 75c during gamingnow so much better.

Any views or ideas would be most appreciated

Last edited:
Associate
I am currently running the rig in my sig.
On stock settings my cpu goes upto 1.5v and mid to high 50's during gaming which I think is rather high for a cpu being cooled with a ekwb custom loop with a 360 rad.

I can run this cpu at 4.3oc on all cores at a voltage of 1.325v with offset at turbo setting so goes up to 1.35 under load and the cpu is mid to high 40's during gaming.

IIRC, Rob Hallock from AMD suggested that 1.4v is absolutely fine for normal use. I don't know that I would be happy with one running 1.5v consistently - when you say when gaming, is it just the occasional spike or does it pretty much sit there at 1.5v? Might be worth adjusting the auto voltage in the BIOS to a manual 1.4-1.45 and see how that goes.

Be worth your while trying to find the post from AMD, but that was more for Ryzen 2000 series I think...

Soldato
1.5v is absolutely fine under light load. Stock the voltages are dynamic dependant on clocks and load.

Periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies is fine, it should also go sub 1.0V as the at idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also. Dynamic voltages of 1.2-1.5V are perfectly ordinary for Ryzen under load conditions (games, apps, whatever). Even at the desktop using windows background tasks.

IIRC, Rob Hallock from AMD suggested that 1.4v is absolutely fine for normal use.

Have you got a source for that? Because I don't believe AMD have given any info to the affect of a specific static voltage being considered "safe".

Might be worth adjusting the auto voltage in the BIOS to a manual 1.4-1.45 and see how that goes.

This is a terrible idea.

Last edited:

ljt

ljt

Soldato
0.2 to 1.5v on stock settings is within the normal operating voltages for Ryzen. It normally only jumps to 1.5v on single/dual core loads, after that it goes down to about 1.2v for a all core full load.

So if your CPU is stock, don't worry about it. Look at latest version of Ryzen Master for temps as it gives a more accurate overall CPU package temperature now. Other programs are still showing brief peak millisecond temperature spikes that aren't really indicative of actual temperatures

Associate
This is normal behaviour for those cpus. Mine goes over 1.5v at times with stock settings.
On light loads they need huge voltage to be able to boost one or two cores to 4.4Ghz or thereabouts.

Associate
OP
thanks guys, I know that it is behaving normally at stock but the pc is much cooler when using the manual oc but was wanting to know if it is ok to run it at manual oc for everyday use or would it have any downside to the cpu by doing so as in will it shorten the life etc etc

In other words..are you guys running at stock or are you overclocking it manually :)

Associate
Associate
thanks guys, I know that it is behaving normally at stock but the pc is much cooler when using the manual oc but was wanting to know if it is ok to run it at manual oc for everyday use or would it have any downside to the cpu by doing so as in will it shorten the life etc etc

In other words..are you guys running at stock or are you overclocking it manually :)
Check your voltage under full load like cinebench and if it's like you said 1.325 or lower than you should be fine.
Temperatures will only be higher with stock settings compared to your overclock under low load as under full load stock voltage is around 1.2-1.25.

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
Neither of which are AMD. Even despite the fact they claim 1.35v, which I believe is probably actually from The Stilt's speculation that did the rounds (Not AMD).
Yes, I acknowledged that and said I couldn't find the original AMD post. Anyhow, upto the OP what they want to do and my 2700x is sat here quite happily. Cheers :)

ljt

ljt

Soldato
Yup that looks fine to me. You might not hit the 4.4ghz single thread with latest AGESA (1.0.0.3 variations) as AMD seem to have messed with the parameters for boosting. Hopefully they will have it sorted by the next release.

Associate
**I implore people not to take TangoEchoAlpha's advice regarding Zen 2 voltage.**
OK, I am certainly up for being corrected if I am wrong. Is accepted wisdom still to let the motherboard run an automatic voltage? Didn't Hardware Unboxed fry a Ryzen 3000 chip with leaving it set to auto and the boost going =>1.5v?

Associate
OK, I am certainly up for being corrected if I am wrong. Is accepted wisdom still to let the motherboard run an automatic voltage? Didn't Hardware Unboxed fry a Ryzen 3000 chip with leaving it set to auto and the boost going =>1.5v?

this was on pre realase bios and he overclocked it using auto voltage and increased LLC so not stock.

Soldato
On my 3800X I decided in the end to go with a manual overclock, 4.325ghz, I have 1.37v set in the bios for light loads, but ive set the LLC up so that under heavy load it droops to 1.328v, the recommended is 1.325v so im close enough.

Although with the manual overclock im loosing some single core performance, as it used to boost to 4.5ghz single core, I getting much better multicore performance as at stock it would drop to 4.1ghz heavy loaded, but now sits at 4.325ghz all day long.

Back
Top Bottom