• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buyer's Remorse: Just purchased a second hand 1080ti...

Soldato
As it stands right now it's still not "clear" where the performance of next gen consoles stand. I get what your are concern about OP but right now it's tough to say what kind of longevity to expect out of the 1080ti, 1080, 5700/xt, etc. do to "dedicated hardware in next gen consoles". IMHO, as long as the games still "play" w/o RT I'm fine with it. IMO you should be too as the representation of RT in games right now is down right silly at best.

What does concern me is the more direct porting of games. MS was shown to have copied a console game directly for xbox and used powershell to bring that game to win10. IE: no more Game.exe files to speak of. What that means is that it's completely locked down. If Sony does announce major AAA titles to PC, IMO, that would be how they will do it.

What kind of effect it will have on CPU/GPU performance and how often it will lock you in to 60 FPS is still yet to be determined. But we would be at the mercy of the developers at that point when it comes to basic gaming options being "implemented in future updates in their console game being made available for win10". And, it's still unclear if those direct to metal efficiencies will translate to PC gaming on win10.

As it stands right now we, PC gamers, are still behind the efficiency curve when those same games are developed for on console. Sure we've made some strives with dx12, mantle, Vulkan but until we get away from DX11 entirely we still have some catching up to do in next gen gaming.

But I digress...perhaps too much... however, until the Nvidia Killer Card from AMD is actually a real thing I say you have nothing to worry about with your 1080ti. There is/was a reddit forum where someone would test drivers to make sure nothing is being gimped. Not sure if they still do that or not.

Last edited:
Soldato
What?! That seems mental lol

I don't think it's mental if he is interested in Ray Tracing. It would be a cheap way to try it out. Sell the 1080Ti, get the 2070 Super with two free games. You aren't losing anything performance wise and you are gaining RTX as well as other features that only work on Turing cards.

Soldato
Doesn't a 2070 Super cost a lot more than the used 1080ti the OP purchased?

About £100, but, the new cards come with 2 free games and a new warranty and none of the worry that comes with buying second hand. And I think the card the OP bought has no warranty, so, if it dies tomorrow, he is all out of luck.

Personally, I would have spent the extra and got the new card.

Associate
I'd rather have the extra VRAM than maybe the slight gains the 2070S and 5700XT may make in drivers. Both are behind the 1080ti as it is.

Also the 1080ti overclocks much better than a 5700XT

RTX isn't worth bothering with for another 2-3 years

The only issue is how the card was treated and what it's life span will be. Maybe consider undervolting it to increase it's life span.

Soldato
I'd rather have the extra VRAM than maybe the slight gains the 2070S and 5700XT may make in drivers. Both are behind the 1080ti as it is..

The 2070 super is ahead of the 1080ti for the most part now.

And can you show me any games where the extra memory makes a difference in frame rates?

The only issue is how the card was treated and what it's life span will be.

Totally agree and that's always the problem buying second hand.

Associate
1080Ti for £400 isn’t a bad option, combine that with a £200 sale on the 1070 then as a package then I’d say you did fine out of that.

The main thing is you didn’t get suckered into 2080 territory or worse and you can ride it out easily into the next era maybe N+2 if ur gaming at 1440p

Soldato
The 2070 super is ahead of the 1080ti for the most part now.
Nope. The 1080 Ti is still a bit faster in most games. Hardware Unboxed did a head to head between them just a few days ago actually - and actually made a fair comparison by using triple-fan MSI cards for both. Most benchmarks I see of the RTX cards versus the 1080 Ti are using the underclocked, throttling reference 1080 Ti and comparing it to factory overclocked RTX cards (which include the Founders Edition models) in order to try and make the new cards look better.
comp2rji8.png

Obviously you'd buy a 2070 Super if the prices were the same, but it's certainly not worth "upgrading" to unless you really want to play one of the handful of RTX titles. It's certainly not bad for a card that's two and a half years old now either. The real upgrade for 1080 Ti owners will hopefully be next year with Nvidia's move to 7nm, or AMD's big chip.

Soldato
T

Totally agree and that's always the problem buying second hand.

Thing is the OP has already bought the card now, so even IF it was a mistake buying for £400 (and i am not convinced it was) but now where he is at, what is the biggest risk, a working gpu failing out of warranty, OR reselling on ebay and having some twonk do a paypal dispute and ripping him off.

hopefully neither thing would happen but imo the risks of either happening may be about equal.........
OP has, or will soon have the gpu..... so long as it works, a bird in the hand and all that!

Soldato
Nope. The 1080 Ti is still a bit faster in most games. Hardware Unboxed did a head to head between them just a few days ago actually - and actually made a fair comparison by using triple-fan MSI cards for both. Most benchmarks I see of the RTX cards versus the 1080 Ti are using the underclocked, throttling reference 1080 Ti and comparing it to factory overclocked RTX cards (which include the Founders Edition models) in order to try and make the new cards look better.

Obviously you'd buy a 2070 Super if the prices were the same, but it's certainly not worth "upgrading" to unless you really want to play one of the handful of RTX titles. It's certainly not bad for a card that's two and a half years old now either. The real upgrade for 1080 Ti owners will hopefully be next year with Nvidia's move to 7nm, or AMD's big chip.

I was talking about the 2070 super as a whole been ahead of the 1080ti these days. Same performance, uses less power, better performance in VR, Features that only work with Turing cards, Ray tracing and going forward performances increases are going to come to the Turing cards not the Pascal cards. Also the two free games helps and that you can only get the 1080Ti's second hand now.

I never said it was worth upgrading from the 1080ti to the 2070 super. I only said that If I had to make a choice now between the 1080ti with 6 months warranty left for £400 and a 2070 Super for £518. I would take the 2070 Super.

The other post I replied to regarding the person who switched from a 1080TI to a 2070 Super and calling it mental. If a person with a 1080Ti is interested in Ray Tracing, I can understand why they consider making the switch to a 2070 Super.

Back
Top Bottom