• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Buyer's Remorse: Just purchased a second hand 1080ti...

Soldato
You, specifically, said that the 2070S is "ahead of" the 1080 Ti "for the most part" now, in response to a post saying the 1080 Ti was faster. You mentioned frame rates in the same post, so it's very clear what you were talking about. Just admit that you were wrong and stop the furious backpeddling and deflection. :)

Nope, I know what I said. And I know what I meant. Here is a quote from my post in another thread, just an hour before, where I was talking about the performance of the 1080Ti vs the 2070 Super.

The simple truth is that they are about equal in performance. The only difference is that Nvidia will continue to optimise for the 2070 Super and not the 1080Ti. So the going forward the 2070 Super will improve but the 1080Ti won't.

Andrew used the 3GB extra Vram as something the 1080Ti has over the 2070 Super.

Which it has, but, as an overall experience, the 2070 Super is ahead of the 1080Ti. Your own link suggests that. Second hand 1080Ti's would only tempt him if they were $350 or less.

Soldato
Wouldnt have paid £400 for a used one myself when the 5700XT new is the same price and same performance.
Agree. Not sure OP even said how old the 1080 Ti is either? I hope they've haven't paid £400 for a 2.5 year old GPU. I'd have gone with the 5700XT personally, brand new, iron clad new buyers warranty.

Does make me laugh somewhat. We hear people complaining about NV and AMD pricing yet the used market (private individuals) shows similar overpricing behaviour of used goods :).
Don't pay silly money for used GPU's and the used prices will come down...…...

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Agree. Not sure OP even said how old the 1080 Ti is either? I hope they've haven't paid £400 for a 2.5 year old GPU.

Does make me laugh somewhat. We hear people complaining about NV and AMD pricing yet the used market (private individuals) shows similar overpricing behaviour of used goods :).
Don't pay silly money for used GPU's and the used prices will come down...…...
Sellers only charge as much as buyers are willing to pay... If no one buys at the silly prices a price drop will come. Never understood why people were paying close to brand new prices for 1080 Ti's.

The buyers are the issue here, both in the brand new and second hand market they are driving prices up. Can't blame nvidia and amd for jacking up prices in the end.

Associate
OP
Wow, it seems like I've stirred up quite a discussion here... Here's my update on the card.

The card arrived on Thursday and went straight into the Dan Case: surprisingly easy to fit in there for its size. I used Afterburner to undervolt it (to keep things cool - something I did for my 1070 too) and put it through its paces, playing all the games I normally would: No Man's Sky, HITMAN 2, ARMA 3, Witcher 3, Skyrim SE (+100GB of mods), Civ 5, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and a couple others which I can't remember. Paraphrasing Soldier from Team Fortress 2: "I have done nothing but play video games for three days". Also stuff to do with a 5,000 mile move, but, hey, who needs sleep?

Anyway, I managed to turn up all the sliders in most games without any problems. I'm running at 1440, and Freesync keeps it between 60 and the max 95, only dropping lower if I supersample like mad in games that allow it. The temps peak at 70 ish when pushed, but stay in the 60's normally. Honestly, I play for a couple of hours at a time normally (when I have other things to do besides waiting to have something to do), so whacking things on max and playing for hours at a time is the closest I can get to a synthetic benchmark without actually downloading or buying one. After about 10 minutes of checking temps constantly, I was back to getting my arse kicked as if nothing had changed from a week ago, albeit with more frames and pixels. I think I'll be happy for a long while.

As for the warranty, I think I got seriously lucky. I registered the card on EVGA and uploaded my eBay receipt. On my product page, it shows "Days Left: 679"! Nearly two years of warranty left - not too shabby! Even if the card craps out sometime soon, I should still be in a good position!

Maybe a 5700 XT or 2070S would have been a better option - I sure would have loved to go team red again after a long period of being green. However, I've got 2/3 the whole warranty, performance which makes me happy (doesn't take much, honestly), and a little bit of peace of mind that I can keep playing in the coming years. Hopefully by the time this card ***** the bed, AMD and Nvidia's RT will be more mature.

Thanks for the advice and discussion, guys!

Soldato
Good news that you has nearly 3 years warranty.

I been read many EVGA owners RMAed GTX 1080 Ti cards since September 2018 received EVGA RTX 2080 so hopefully when your card fail within 679 days warranty and you will receive EVGA RTX 2080 or EVGA RTX 3070. :)

Soldato
Wow, it seems like I've stirred up quite a discussion here... Here's my update on the card.

The card arrived on Thursday and went straight into the Dan Case: surprisingly easy to fit in there for its size. I used Afterburner to undervolt it (to keep things cool - something I did for my 1070 too) and put it through its paces, playing all the games I normally would: No Man's Sky, HITMAN 2, ARMA 3, Witcher 3, Skyrim SE (+100GB of mods), Civ 5, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and a couple others which I can't remember. Paraphrasing Soldier from Team Fortress 2: "I have done nothing but play video games for three days". Also stuff to do with a 5,000 mile move, but, hey, who needs sleep?

Anyway, I managed to turn up all the sliders in most games without any problems. I'm running at 1440, and Freesync keeps it between 60 and the max 95, only dropping lower if I supersample like mad in games that allow it. The temps peak at 70 ish when pushed, but stay in the 60's normally. Honestly, I play for a couple of hours at a time normally (when I have other things to do besides waiting to have something to do), so whacking things on max and playing for hours at a time is the closest I can get to a synthetic benchmark without actually downloading or buying one. After about 10 minutes of checking temps constantly, I was back to getting my arse kicked as if nothing had changed from a week ago, albeit with more frames and pixels. I think I'll be happy for a long while.

As for the warranty, I think I got seriously lucky. I registered the card on EVGA and uploaded my eBay receipt. On my product page, it shows "Days Left: 679"! Nearly two years of warranty left - not too shabby! Even if the card craps out sometime soon, I should still be in a good position!

Maybe a 5700 XT or 2070S would have been a better option - I sure would have loved to go team red again after a long period of being green. However, I've got 2/3 the whole warranty, performance which makes me happy (doesn't take much, honestly), and a little bit of peace of mind that I can keep playing in the coming years. Hopefully by the time this card ***** the bed, AMD and Nvidia's RT will be more mature.

Thanks for the advice and discussion, guys!

That is what matters in the end. Play games and have fun. The hardware shouldn't be something you think about all the time. It should just work and it seems it does for what you require of it. Congratz buddy and Happy gaming.

Back
Top Bottom