Help please new build fails to install windows 10 / update now sorted

Associate
As above built my new pc today ryzen 5 3600 and msi b450 tomahawk max mobo.

switched computer on everything fine have a usb drive in with windows 10 install on made by using the media creation tool, i have used this method before, with no issues.

Usb stick fires up select language etc, accept terms choose location to install ( i have a samsung 860 evo ssd 500gb ) usb stick continues and create the partitions ie rescue etc and at the next stage is where its all going wrong

stage 1 copying windows files gets a green tick

stage 2 getting files ready for installation is where its crashing at different percentages and then it starts the process over again?

bios is ver E7C02AMS.300 dated 7/11/19

not sure what to do next except try another media creation.

and its windows 10 home

cheers

Soldato
The latest BIOS (02/09/2019) is 7C02v32. If your BIOS version is dated 7/11/19, then that's probably 7C02v30.

Some of the notes mention memory compatibility, which might be the issue you are facing.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the replies, my gut feeling was the media creation tool. So i had rufus and as suggested above i downloaded an iso and used rufus this got me up and running, however i did run into a few crashes during the actual setup, i think this was just windows itself been windows :)
I did not have any other drives installed they were all fitted just not plugged in until after the installation. Finally got windows installed and also downloaded and installed all the relevant mobo and graphics drivers. I have unplugged it for tonight and will continue tomorrow before i go to work.
I hate flashing the bios at the best of times, but i think i may just have to on this mobo

So thanks for the replies.

Soldato
however i did run into a few crashes during the actual setup, i think this was just windows itself been windows :)
Crashes during the install? I wouldn't be shrugging that off as nothing.

I've installed Windows many times over the years (back to Windows 3.0) and have only had crashes because of bad installation media or hardware faults (usually memory).

Soldato
Crashes during the install? I wouldn't be shrugging that off as nothing.

I've installed Windows many times over the years (back to Windows 3.0) and have only had crashes because of bad installation media or hardware faults (usually memory).
Agreed, when it crashes installing, it's the usb, the hard drive or the memory.
If you have more problems I can send you a genuine Windows usb you can install from, you would need a code of course. Let me know

Associate
stage 2 getting files ready for installation is where its crashing at different percentages and then it starts the process over again?

bios is ver E7C02AMS.300 dated 7/11/19

What CPU temperature is the BIOS reporting? Look a bit high? Is the heatsink seated properly?

RAM instability? Drop RAM timings from XMP (if applied) to JEDEC 2133 base? Try using a single stick at a time?

Write memtest86 to a USB stick and run that for a bit, any lockups/errors?
Download and write a Linux LiveCD onto a USB stick with rufus, use that for a bit, browsing/youtube etc, any lockups/errors?

Thats an early BIOS revision going by the date. You could try updating to the latest one, though if the system is unstable you risk the flash going wrong.
MSI boards have flashback built-in so you should be able to recover in the event of a failure?

Associate
OP
ram was at 2400 now at stock 3200. cpu temp is steady at 32.

The crashes were not a blue screen of death crash it was more of certain parts of the install it would start again for example where it asks you make a pin to login and also where i entered my windows password it would just reboot and restart.

everything is like 1 day old and all seated correctly, my son has a genuine windows install usb will borrow that from him :)

once again thanks, got to wait for a longer bloody ethernet cable now :(

Soldato
I remember now, I had this issue with my RAM and installing windows... The RAM was unstable and caused crashes... I set it to stock speeds and it installed with no problems at all, once Windows was done I then enabled XMP profile and it runs smooth with no errors or crashes

Associate
OP
I remember now, I had this issue with my RAM and installing windows... The RAM was unstable and caused crashes... I set it to stock speeds and it installed with no problems at all, once Windows was done I then enabled XMP profile and it runs smooth with no errors or crashes

see i had the issues with ram at stock speed of 2400, so that leaves the bios next

Associate
OP
Just a small update, flashed the bios this morning and re-installed windows everything went smoothly with no resets,crashes or anything else.
thanks everyone for the replies

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom