Ducati Monster 696

Associate
Hi all

hoping someone has some experience with these, Ive been to see one yesterday at a local garage, it's a 2008 in very good nick, 13k miles, well looked after and serviced

price is reasonable too at 3k. with it being a combinations of Italian, 11 years old and air cooled Im hoping someone has some experience and can shed any light on their reliability, or any common issues to look out for.

ideally I was after an MT07, but for an extra 1.5k Id get, a fuel guage, gear indicator, ABS and probably less miles, but Im not sure id get anything extra in performance or enjoyment?

Soldato
Hi all

hoping someone has some experience with these, Ive been to see one yesterday at a local garage, it's a 2008 in very good nick, 13k miles, well looked after and serviced

price is reasonable too at 3k. with it being a combinations of Italian, 11 years old and air cooled Im hoping someone has some experience and can shed any light on their reliability, or any common issues to look out for.

ideally I was after an MT07, but for an extra 1.5k Id get, a fuel guage, gear indicator, ABS and probably less miles, but Im not sure id get anything extra in performance or enjoyment?

I don't have experience with that Ducati model specifically, but I think the motor might be the same one (or at least a derivative) of the one I had in my Hypermotard 796. Being air cooled, isn't a major issue in the UK, even with ambient temps in the mid to high 20s, my old 796 never hit any warnings around towns and other slow/congested areas.

I think the 696 Monster was a bit of a 'budget' Ducati, but I would expect that the build quality will still be high, so chances are that even being an 11 year old bike - providing it's had responsible owners; it will look decent.

A Ducati is certainly a different experience when it comes to riding - I still hold a Ducati as the "Ferrari of the bike world" - it's hard to put a finger on it, it's just more emotional I guess (certainly when you get a service bill :D). But in seriousness, the thumping v-twin, the red paint, even knowing it has "Ducati" written on the side; add to that list, the fact that women will know what you are talking about when you say you ride a Ducati - trying to explain what an MT-07 is might not be as cool :p

Of the two bikes though, I would probably go for an MT-07 - the CP2 engine sounds sublime through a nice exhaust system, it's also extremely comfortable to site on, and looks great with the dayglow wheels. Of the two, I would expect that the ongoing costs of the Yammy will be lower than the Duke, but won't be as cool.

All the best with your decision - try to blag a test ride on the Ducati at least :)

Soldato
Is this a summer toy or an all year round bike? The Ducati would fair better as a summer toy out of the two. But as said get a test ride and see which one speaks to you more

Associate
OP
well i called a Ducati dealer today to price up a 15k service since its not far off this, £650, no thank you I'll keep looking for an MT.. crazy money, I know they do the valves etc but still thats a lot

Soldato
Is this a summer toy or an all year round bike? The Ducati would fair better as a summer toy out of the two. But as said get a test ride and see which one speaks to you more

My two Ducatis were fine in the Autumn, early/late Winter, and Spring months... it's mainly about the owner's upkeep, not the brand.

well i called a Ducati dealer today to price up a 15k service since its not far off this, £650, no thank you I'll keep looking for an MT.. crazy money, I know they do the valves etc but still thats a lot

Yeah, the hourly rate at Ducati was something like £110 or 120 a few years back - the biggie is the belts, and iirc I was quoted over £600 for that job (inc a minor service); got the work done at a local independent for about £350! Unless it has a lovely Ducati warranty, then you can save a packet using independent garages :)

The MT07 is a bloody lovely bike though, I'm not too keen on the newer model's front end, but of the two you posted - I'd personally be going for a test ride on the Duke, but buying the MT :D

Soldato
Considering you're looking at £2-300 for valves on most bikes then the usual service price on top it's not that crazy a price.

Local bike place charged me just over £100 (£120 I think) to do the valves on my SV650 must be an easy bike to do it on, most other servicing I do myself.

I see people talking about how much they spend on bike maintenance it seems crazy, I reckon it costs me on average about £50 a year that's including things like brakes, chains and sprockets etc.

The only thing that is expensive is tyres and they are on top of the above costs.

Good thing with a 16 year old Suzuki. Admittedly in today's standards it ain't exactly a top of the range machine.

To the OP, the Ducati will need TLC, if you are having it as a fun, summer bike, don't mind investing time to keep it going, give it much loving then fine, if you want more of a workhorse forget it.

Associate
OP
Yeah the 696 is out of the question now. I've been looking local and there's an mt07 but it's priced abit high. A gsr750 which looks nice at a decent price too. Might give it a month and see of any prices drop when the weather turns, no rush I suppose

Also insurance seems abit all over, my current provider won't even quote me on a z650 I found yet they will on most other bikes, I can get insured on a 06 z1000 for less than a 16 plate mt07..

Back
Top Bottom