The nervous wait to exchange....

Associate
My purchase and sale have collapsed. Unfortunately the other half was let go by her work.

Better now than with the new mortgage. But it sucks.

Unlucky bud.

In general those going through the process at the moment, what are you expecting to happen in the housing market at the moment with brexit (not trying to detail just interested)

Associate
In general those going through the process at the moment, what are you expecting to happen in the housing market at the moment with brexit (not trying to detail just interested)

Nobody really knows what's going to happen. Some say they'll drop, some say they wont change.

IMO they'll stay about the same/drop slightly, then when we leave they'll drop and recover like most things usually do.

Either way, I couldn't wait around forever so just went ahead with it :D

Pet Northerner
Don
Sorry to hear, that's really **** :(

Hope she gets sorted soon and you can get looking again.
Unlucky bud.

cheers guys.

I'm lucky enough to have enough equity to release to wipe out all of our unsecured debt, so we can live very comfortably on one wage. It's not the worst situation to be in!

Soldato
When the vote went through in our area prices continued to increase as if nothing had happened, they have slowed down now because so many first time buyers are sitting on the fence waiting to see what is going to happen, but when a new development of 1-3bed properties got released here the first phase went so quick (20% above similar properties non-new build) the developer has hiked up the price for phase 2 and again for 3. I know so many people who haven't listed/moved in this area because they think properties are going to drop and they're waiting for a bargain. I've gone with a shared ownership so I've spread the risk a bit and fortunately it was on phase 1 pricing.

Got my mortgage offer through last week, but it took them until today to actually get the paperwork out to my solicitors and broker. Supposed to be exchanging in 10 days so hopefully things start moving soon.

Soldato
Been quoted £1,450 + VAT for removal costs - a 3 bed flat/house move in London. Does that sound about right?
3 bed house move from Hemel to Wakefield cost me £550. I used a company from AnyVan (A site where removal companies will bid for your custom based on information you give them about your house move).

Soldato
My purchase is pretty much done. Buyer of mine is causing all the delays though :( He's only just paid for the searches yesterday! He's an investor, so probably buying several similar properties and isn't too bothered when they get done. Very annoying!

Caporegime
Well Vendors of the house we were buying pulled out 9 days before the date THEY had pushed us to exchange on... Long story not going into it right now but what a kick in the teeth!

Oh man, that sucks :( Has it brought down a whole chain with it?

I really think that the rest of the UK should adopt the Scottish system and put a stop to this nonsense.

Caporegime
Been quoted £1,450 + VAT for removal costs - a 3 bed flat/house move in London. Does that sound about right?

£900 for a large 2-bed flat in North London to a 3-bed house in South London/Surrey earlier this year.

We used Best Rate Removals, very happy with their service, as it was 3 guys, a huge truck, and they had to make use of a slow and small lift as we were on the 4th floor.

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Moving a 3 bedroom house within the Reading area including packing was around £1200-1400, that was the average as well across multiple companies i had quotes from. Places like Doree Bonner etc will come in higher than local places, naturally.

Soldato
Wow, expensive for you guys.

Just been quoted to move out of our largish 2 bed house for £260, fully insured etc :/

That’s abnormally cheap. I can’t actually see how they are making any profit after fuel and vehicle costs unless it’s just a Luton vans worth and a single person.

Associate
Just a small company I think.

They have plenty of reviews online, most of which are surprisingly 5*, fully insured etc. Think most just use big companies and get mugged off.

One of their chaps did a 20 mile round trip just to see how much stuff we have and discuss any troublesome items etc. Does seem cheap but hey hoo, will see how they go.

Soldato
It's expensive but I feel quite happy with the company. Run by an ex-copper who used to live one road over from our new house - he knows the area well, and the neighbours too.

Two vans and four men, so I think the price is acceptable for central London.

Both excited about the move in ten days time, as well as anxious about the amount of work to do beforehand.

Then extremely anxious about the work that needs to be done on the place.

Associate
I’ve been reading this thread with interest and I can finally join the nervous wait to exchange.

We’ve had an offer accepted and there’s no chain so fingers crossed it should all progress smoothly (famous last words!).

Solicitor is instructed and is someone I know well so hopefully we won’t have any issues there. Main delay will be installation of flooring (which we’ve agreed can be between exchange and completion).

avJVUut.jpg
1zwLzJY.jpg
gTI1g8u.jpg
Kitchen / living space:
nlIedcH.jpg
Lounge:
ETrnPpO.jpg
Master bedroom:
NSBlksR.jpg
Master en-suite bathroom:
6ohi7ou.jpg

ADy3oM7.jpg
LkfV6Jw.jpg

5ePFxKZ.jpg

Excited!

Hoping to be in by the end of November - not sure whether that’s massively optimistic or not!

Last edited:
Caporegime
That looks great, congrats. :)

Slightly minor thing but they seem to have made an error in your floor plan - the gallery landing looked a bit odd here, having a pointless bit going off to the left, but on the picture you've posted there is actually a door there not marked on the floor plan.

Back
Top Bottom