The Sony A73/A7R3/A7S3/A9 Thread

Associate
Hey chaps. I’m off to Iceland in December and will of course be taking my A7R3 kit with me. Any tips and suggestions to ensure that it’s not utterly destroyed by the elements there? I’ve used my kit in light rain before but never in really harsh conditions.

Soldato
Hey chaps. I’m off to Iceland in December and will of course be taking my A7R3 kit with me. Any tips and suggestions to ensure that it’s not utterly destroyed by the elements there? I’ve used my kit in light rain before but never in really harsh conditions.

I never had any confidence in the A7RIII dealing with the elements, feel a little more comfortable with the IV but still made sure my insurance covers it :)

Iceland can be harsh at times but isn't as bad as some make out.

Buy some op/tech rainsleeves and you should be fine (or a more expensive version like a ThinkTank rain cover). Also do the normal when it comes to Climatise the gear when you go from warm/cold conditions. Keep lens changes to the minimum when out or make sure to keep you back to the wind to offer some shelter.

Soldato
New Sony A7Riii owner here. Been wanting to make the switch to FF Mirrorless, from Canon DSLRs and with the recent launch of the A7RIV, the price of the A7Riii seemed just right. For lenses, i went with the Tamron 17-28 f2.8, 28-75 f2.8, Sony 85mm f1.8, GM 24mm f1.4 and for giggles i went ahead and bought the Laowa 10-18mm. For video i picked up A Ronin SC and a couple of Polar Pro variable ND's. The funny thing is (apart from the Laowa which has its own ND system) all my lenses are 67mm. So instead of using a step down, i just went with two 67mm ND's.

Caporegime
Really? Wasn't the plan to announce 3/4 new cameras across a few weeks, finishing a month or so ago? Exciting though :D. With this - just a revision of the A7Siii to go.

Caporegime
Incremental.com but no doubt a great camera for e.g. someone getting into the high end Sony mirrorless ecosystem. The original A9 can be had for as little as £2.5k so definitely not worth ~£2k to upgrade from that.

And

And

Associate
What's going on with the UK price? More than $1200 above the US.

Incremental.com but no doubt a great camera for e.g. someone getting into the high end Sony mirrorless ecosystem. The original A9 can be had for as little as £2.5k so definitely not worth ~£2k to upgrade from that.

Caporegime
The number you see for US do not include sales tax, plus the pound is really weak.

Even then its strange pricing and the EU price is even more off.

Taking US retail price = £4,371.60 but we get charged £4,799

In Europe the converted price is 4911 euros and they get charged 5,400 euros (assuming a 20% vat rate, there are a lot of EU countries with less than 20% VAT)

Caporegime
Even then its strange pricing and the EU price is even more off.

Taking US retail price = £4,371.60 but we get charged £4,799

In Europe the converted price is 4911 euros and they get charged 5,400 euros (assuming a 20% vat rate, there are a lot of EU countries with less than 20% VAT)

Probably a precaution for the pound to tank to go below parity with the US dollar after Brexit.

Caporegime
Probably a precaution for the pound to tank to go below parity with the US dollar after Brexit.

That i could understand for the UK but the European price is out by even more. Even worse for low VAT Eu countries. Normally you can save some money getting it from the EU and shipping it to the UK but not this time.

So why are they setting the price so high for the EU?

Back
Top Bottom