local characters

Caporegime
Used to be a guy in jesmond who was fairly well known. Lived alone at the bottom of our street in a massive house. He'd lost his wife and kids in an accident and had just totally lost it. Used to chat to him from time to time and was a very nice guy but had just been ruined by a horrible hand dealt to him.

In my home town there used to be a guy who rode a pedal trike wearing nothing but shorts and sandles. He was odd.

Man of Honour
There used to be middle aged black guy in Kentish Town that wore a cowboy hat, a red codpiece (like the dude from Cameo) and kicked a balloon on a string as he walked along.

how long ago? I’m next door to Kentish Town and never seen or heard of this dude.

The only one I know is the red lady who used to be seen around Camden, haven’t seen or heard about her in a few years though.

Associate
Growing up in Dover we had a couple, firstly the obligatory Elvis, a local alcoholic and Elvis fan who'd always do a round of the pubs in his leather jacket, denim and a studded belt which he'd never fail to whip off and start cracking with only the slightest encouragement.

Also there was 'Mark', every kid knew him - he was always running, literally all the time but would stop and have a chat if you called him. He clearly had mental health issues - it was never long though before he was off again, maybe ducking behind a car then he'd be off, running away from whatever imaginary things were chasing him.

Soldato
Associate
In Finsbury Park there's a doddery old guy with a white beard who believes he will be the next Prime Minister. Sometimes you'll see him on the BBC, they've done a few stories about him.

He seems harmless enough though.

I think I have seen that guy in Nandos. He was muttering something to himself about brexit.

Man of Honour
We used to have a local character known as Chinese Elvis. Saw him all the time walking round Bexleyheath with an Elvis haircut, sunglasses and turned up collar. He owned a restaurant in Bexleyheath for a long time and used to sing to all the diners in full Elvis regalia.

He was a fixture in local pubs and turned up wherever there was a karaoke to sing Elvis numbers. He was wonderfully terrible.

Drink sadly got the better of him last year and he passed away. Sorely missed.

Sounds like Paul “Elvis” Chan, who had Graceland Palace, a Chinese restaurant in Old Kent Road, corner of Ilderton Road, Peckham, he’d belt out Elvis numbers all night in full regalia.
On another note, when I was driving a Black Cab, there used to be a character, not that old, who’d patrol Oxford St. in all weathers, carrying a carrier bag, dressed in Union Jack shorts, and an Hawaiian short sleeved shirt.

Soldato
Anyone remember the father and son preacher team that used to read from the bible in town centres around London in the 80s and 90s? Rumour was the son grew up and stabbed the dad.

Soldato
I'm sure I've forgotten a few but central Cambridge has a gent with ginger dreads down to his arse who walks around in a red velvet tailcoat, I don't think he's homeless, just extremely eccentric. Then there's the guy who cycles around the centre blaring heavy metal from a stereo in his bike basket.

Cambridge folk are on odd breed though, if you get the late train from London it's not unusual, amongst the McDonalds and upper crust, to see an immaculately presented person break out a cheese board and wine with metal cutlery.

Associate
In Swansea a few years ago we had kung fu guy. He would constantly practice his martial arts against an invisible man outside Wilkinson. I was driving past slowly in traffic once and someone beeped their horn while I was looking at him, which he mistook for my horn. He turned his gaze to me and slowly moved his air punches and kicks in my direction. Thankfully the traffic moved before he had a chance to turn me and my car into dust. One day he just vanished and I never saw him again sadly.

Soldato
Frank 'xylophone man' Robinson, died in 2004, was so well known in Nottingham, there is now a plaque where he used to sit..

Dave 'cockle man' Bartram is still plying his trade selling shellfish in the pubs

And then there is 'the joker', but he's supposed to be banned from the city centre..

Nottingham is a funny old place.

Associate
Forgot about Captain Hook from Helsinki too. Old geezer in a wheelchair with a hook for a hand. Saw him on the underground years ago. He was harassing some young pretty girls and when they got off (walking fairly quickly) he actually tried to swipe them with his hook! Fortunately since he was in a wheelchair he didn't reach, and my experience of his adventures ended there.

Soldato
Derby has the backwards man
I personally haven't seen him but heard of him plenty of times.

Walks backwards everywhere and writes bus numbers down.
Apparently never looks behind him and manages not to fall over/get run over/etc.

Back
Top Bottom