local characters

Caporegime
When I was growing up in Kings Lynn you had Juggling Jim. I think he recently died and the streets were lined to honour him at his funeral. Everyone said he was a secret millionaire or that he used to be doctor but an operation went wrong and he went crazy from it.

Check out the neck on the guitar!

Associate
there a bloke called allan walks around certain parts of Sheffield wearing a full football refs kit whistle and all arms aloft cheering at passing cars , seen him on one occasion and drivers going past were like wtf. :p

and there a guy called john burkill who collects for McMillan cancer Charity always out and about wears green wig and pushes a small trolley around he's raised 250k from what i have read.

Soldato
Nice to see the Durham ones. The A19 had/still has a lorry man, who would wave from one of the bridges and sometimes use a cb to talk to the drivers. Apparently started as a kid, as he would wave to his Dad's truck.

Soldato
Norwich used to have a wonderful chap known as Marigold. Used to stand in/alongside the road and direct traffic while wearing marigolds.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/people-of-norwich-pay-their-own-tributes-to-marigold-1-4068620

Coincidentally, there was an old chap up this way who always wore yellow marigolds, along with a military beret. He used to march around the place mumbling about "the Japs".

There was another bloke too, his house was absolutely covered in TV aerials and he'd hand painted "The Prince of Wales" down the side of his car.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
There's a podcast called Gossipmongers with Joe Wilkinson where they share listeners stories about local characters etc. It is rather crude however, not one for the kids.

Soldato
so how many of these people actually HAVE been eccentric millionaires? it seems to be the default assumption, reading the replies above. my default assumption is that they're just nutters.

Associate
there a bloke called allan walks around certain parts of Sheffield wearing a full football refs kit whistle and all arms aloft cheering at passing cars , seen him on one occasion and drivers going past were like wtf. :p

and there a guy called john burkill who collects for McMillan cancer Charity always out and about wears green wig and pushes a small trolley around he's raised 250k from what i have read.

Not see the ref but John is a Sheffield hero, always give him a few quid when I see him.

Soldato
There was a bloke in Leigh Park everyone called 'Pigeon Pete' because of his walk, his head bobbing like a pigeon.

And we also had 'Bus Stop Cat', a Ginger cat called Missy that would lounge around at the No39 bus stop and was bit of tart letting anything and everyone pet and stroke her, she would even get on the bus. Sadly she was put down due to injuries, first suspected of being beaten and then believed to have been hit by a car. A bus driver of that route started a JustGiving page and raised enough money for a memorial plaque.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-36460980

Back
Top Bottom