Hit by drunk driver :| Spec me a new car...

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
Surely that would repair?

We arent talking a little love tap here, we are talking an impact that caved the front of his car in, deployed his airbags, cracked his windscreen sent half his car parts across the road. The speed difference between the cars had to be a good 30-40mph difference. I could actually work it out roughly based on the dashcam footage.... lets see.

It's a 10 year old car, nearly 11, if the salvage cost is cheap enough then I might repair it and sell it but honestly im expecting the damage under the bumper to be quite bad and something in the drivetrain is also knackered and grinding.

Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So from a known point on the video, to the accident, was travelling at 55mph and covered 250 meters.
= 10 seconds

On the video you can see there is no car on the sliproad (150 meters long) as we pass the top of it, the corner onto the sliproad is a sharp turn that can be done at 20mph or so, but less as it was pouring with rain but lets give him 20mph as a starting figure.

so in that 10 seconds he has accelerated up, and covered the same distance including an extra 150 meters.

If we take off the generous 20mph starting figure that gives him 70mph. If we give him the more realistic 10, then thats 80mph.

Top of my head, the impact force for most airbags to deploy is circa 30mph if hitting a solid object, so that easily sticks him at 100mph, even more potentially.

Even if we take 55mph and add 30, that puts him at 85mph on impact.

Caporegime
So from a known point on the video, to the accident, was travelling at 55mph and covered 250 meters.
= 10 seconds

On the video you can see there is no car on the sliproad (150 meters long) as we pass the top of it, the corner onto the sliproad is a sharp turn that can be done at 20mph or so, but less as it was pouring with rain but lets give him 20mph as a starting figure.

so in that 10 seconds he has accelerated up, and covered the same distance including an extra 150 meters.

If we take off the generous 20mph starting figure that gives him 70mph. If we give him the more realistic 10, then thats 80mph.

Top of my head, the impact force for most airbags to deploy is circa 30mph if hitting a solid object, so that easily sticks him at 100mph, even more potentially.

Even if we take 55mph and add 30, that puts him at 85mph on impact.

I’d be glad to say goodbye to it after a job well done (by protecting the occupants)

The XC60 gets good reviews especially on crash testing :p a solid replacement imo.

Glad all ok, cars can be replaced etc.

And I’m pleased it wasn’t the Lamborghini:)

Soldato
It's a 10 year old car, nearly 11, if the salvage cost is cheap enough then I might repair it and sell it but honestly im expecting the damage under the bumper to be quite bad and something in the drivetrain is also knackered and grinding.

So it all boils down to the insurance co wanting to use brand new parts and Land Rover dealer approved work shop. Where as anyone else would pick up the parts from a breakers and use their friendly local body shop. 10 year old car after all.

Soldato
Could always go for the "rugged" look. Fix whatever is bent underneath and leave the rest. Maybe some blood decals. I bet people will give it room then :D

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
OP
So it all boils down to the insurance co wanting to use brand new parts and Land Rover dealer approved work shop. Where as anyone else would pick up the parts from a breakers and use their friendly local body shop. 10 year old car after all.

Pretty much, I think im going to get quite a pretty penny out of them for it as well, finding examples with the similar option spec and condition to mine are on the high end of the market!

Caporegime
Yep, from my last experience regarding payouts it is now a nightmare, i held out for 3 months and creamed weekly payments from them instead of getting a hire car, they didn't budge much on the car value even though i provided adverts for 2 cars on sale at the time which are lower specs.

Don
Get a defender 110

Main criteria:
-cheap to run and maintain
- Check - Can be fixed if you know a guy with a hammer.
-large and capable of being fully loaded to the hilt without struggling - Check.
-basic, dont want any fancy stuff that can throw a huge bill - As basic as they come.
-doesnt look poncy - Looks awesome

Caporegime
Get a defender 110

Main criteria:
-cheap to run and maintain
- Check - Can be fixed if you know a guy with a hammer.
-large and capable of being fully loaded to the hilt without struggling - Check.
-basic, dont want any fancy stuff that can throw a huge bill - As basic as they come.
-doesnt look poncy - Looks awesome

Game. Set. Match.

Minus that they can be nicked with a screwdriver. Or disassembled in place.

Soldato

They don't "want to". However people start complaining if they don't.

When it is someone else's fault, they want the car parts returned to new. Since the company want to avoid you going to a claims management company who will double the costs, give you an expensive hire car, whilst trying to convince you that you were injured, they don't put up much of a fight.

When it is their fault, they want to get their money's worth since they've been paying insurance for X years.

Back
Top Bottom