• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

Soldato
Anyone here want to help confirm the standard, stock voltage for the 9900KS ?

Hexus Chip reads 1.248v @ 5GHZ.

If true, that passes my sniff test as per the 1.25v prediction earlier in the thread.

nice one intel.

Soldato
Oddly the thread concentrates on the 9900KS and not Ryzen. We can have threads that don't have to compare Ryzen to Intel sometimes.
And oddly it was 8 Pack who largely brought up Ryzen, to which I merely countered his outburt. It is possible to talk negatively about an Intel product without AMD coming into it, which is exactly what's going on in this thread. The KS is dismissed on its own (lack of ) merits, not in comparison to any competitor.

Associate
Its hard to tell a lot of reviewers have no idea what they are doing
and arnt using intel spec 1.60 mOhms LLC & intel spec 1.60 mOhms AC/DC Load Line in reviews
so it makes it impossible to compare online reviews
also silicon lottery comes into it ofc

example kitguru said their sample used 1.38v at 5ghz
is that a bad sample or is that using bad default settings

I will post details on mine when it comes in a few days..

Anyone here want to help confirm the standard, stock voltage for the 9900KS ?

Hexus Chip reads 1.248v @ 5GHZ.

If true, that passes my sniff test as per the 1.25v prediction earlier in the thread.

nice one intel.

Last edited:
Associate
I dont see the point in this CPU. 125W TDP @ all core 5Ghz is kind of misleading as it only lasts 28 seconds and unless you professionally bench mark whats the point in the extra couple % performance in games.

This is my sole problem with Intel, no inovation, just rebranding the same CPU bumping up the clocks and the costs. How long has it been now since Intel were innovative ?

For the record it is absolutely relevant discussing the opposition brand as with out the opposition you have a limit comparison the base decisions of purchase on

Associate
They milked quad cores for years and it bit them on the ass
the ceo lost his job over it

they are awake now but it will take them a few years to get back on track
9th generation is a joke for any cpu thats not a 9900k

no ht and cut down l3 cache in anything not an i9

10th gen will bring things back inline
i9 10c 20t
i7 8c 16t
i5 6c 12t
i3 4c 8t

they really should have just bit the bullet and sold the 9900k for £350
yes it would have cut margins for 9th gen but in the grand scheme of things
it would have worked out better

I dont see the point in this CPU. 125W TDP @ all core 5Ghz is kind of misleading as it only lasts 28 seconds and unless you professionally bench mark whats the point in the extra couple % performance in games.

This is my sole problem with Intel, no inovation, just rebranding the same CPU bumping up the clocks and the costs. How long has it been now since Intel were innovative ?

For the record it is absolutely relevant discussing the opposition brand as with out the opposition you have a limit comparison the base decisions of purchase on

Caporegime

It is not 5GHz all core at 125W (at least i wouldn't say half a minute is worthy), one needs to remove the power limit to achieve it. Just seems a little shady to say it is frankly, but then that's why it says "Up to 5Ghz" i guess.

Last edited:
Soldato

Is 125W TDP at base clocks with normal boost. You have to unlock the CPU from bios to make it boost properly all core and there the power consumption goes well beyond that, with temperatures reported well into the 90s with 240mm AIO.

Soldato
Ryzen tested with 3200Mhz RAM? Nice impartial review :rolleyes:

Im 100% no one else anyone cares about the ryzen results. Everyone knows how a 5ghz 9900k performs - the KS reviews are simply to see how they overclock, what voltages they use, how much power they draw and how much heat is put out and what cooler is required.

Soldato
why are the amd fanboys in here

I love amd and love what they have done for cpu's the last few years
infact i have a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ and a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x

and expected to get the a 3000 series on launch
but many things put me off on launch that i wont get into as this thread isnt about ryzen
plz kindly go chat in another thread about your hate for intel

Ordered my KS btw..

Because AMD fanboys are always in the Intel and Nvidia threads posting negative comments. It's nothing new

Soldato
Because AMD fanboys are always in the Intel and Nvidia threads posting negative comments. It's nothing new
Talk about seeing what you want to see. By far the most rabid fanboys/trolls/shills on here represent Intel and Nvidia and jump on anything positive posted about AMD.

Soldato

And Intel fanboys are in the AMD thread, and Nvidia fanboys are in the Intel thread, and Nvidia fanboys are in the AMD thread, and Intel fans in the Nvidia thread - it's a massive circle jerk..

Soldato
Talk about seeing what you want to see. By far the most rabid fanboys/trolls/shills on here represent Intel and Nvidia and jump on anything positive posted about AMD.

to be fair as I don't currently own amd products I tend to stay out of the amd threads so I wouldn't know too much what hoes on in those

Associate
KS! aka sooo how long until 10nm? :)

..OR 3700X OR wait for the next round of AMD cpus which might be just as fast as KS at this rate!

so 4 options:
pay way over the odds (KS)
Be sensible (3700X)
Wait and be sensible (Zen 3)
Do nothing (hi)

5th option:
wait and then pay way over the odds (10nm)

Associate
From multiple summaries, seems like 5.2ghz all core on a 360AIO is peak. I'm sure you'll have outlier either side but that seem to be the case. That's a good bin all said and done. Not worth an upgrade to by any means but reasonably good overall. As long as you aren't being price gouged.

Soldato
From multiple summaries, seems like 5.2ghz all core on a 360AIO is peak. I'm sure you'll have outlier either side but that seem to be the case. That's a good bin all said and done. Not worth an upgrade to by any means but reasonably good overall. As long as you aren't being price gouged.

Out of the box 5ghz = Noctua air cooler
5.2ghz overclock = 280mm/360mm AIO
5.3ghz/5.4ghz overclock = custom loop

The numbers are really nice - all core speeds around 1ghz faster than AMD can manage on the same cooling. But in reality it doesn't mean much in terms of performance. If you were going to get a 9900k soon, buy the 9900ks otherwise wait till next gen.

Even if you compare a stock 9900k which has an all core of what 4.7ghz? Compared to a 5.4ghz 9900k the performance difference is not major. There is only so much to be gained from clock speed. What we need is IPC and more cores.

Associate
Out of the box 5ghz = Noctua air cooler
5.2ghz overclock = 280mm/360mm AIO
5.3ghz/5.4ghz overclock = custom loop

The numbers are really nice - all core speeds around 1ghz faster than AMD can manage on the same cooling. But in reality it doesn't mean much in terms of performance. If you were going to get a 9900k soon, buy the 9900ks otherwise wait till next gen.

Even if you compare a stock 9900k which has an all core of what 4.7ghz? Compared to a 5.4ghz 9900k the performance difference is not major. There is only so much to be gained from clock speed. What we need is IPC and more cores.

There are niche use cases where the frequency pays off. I do a fair bit of vr sim racing. In that clock speed is king and going from 5ghz to 5.2ghz is the difference between staying at a steady fps or dipping down into re-projection. This is mainly due to VR and sims not scaling well across cores.

But as a whole, not too much. The other exception being very high frame rates where people want 144fps+ Neither get tested for mainstream reviews so don't really show up.

Back
Top Bottom