Why are taxi drivers the worst drivers?

Soldato
In London I find this reasonably true but if we isolate Addison Lee, it gets miles worse. Any time I see a cabbie driving not just badly but actually dangerous or downright aggressive/rude, it turns out to be AL. Ignoring amber lights, pushing across junctions, squeezing into spaces and lanes by cutting people off...

Interestingly i know several people (including my receptionist who books all our work transport) who prefer them for professionalism towards the client. I wonder how related it is? Does trying to treat people as if they're important mean drivers are ***** to other road users?

Soldato
In London I find this reasonably true but if we isolate Addison Lee, it gets miles worse. Any time I see a cabbie driving not just badly but actually dangerous or downright aggressive/rude, it turns out to be AL. Ignoring amber lights, pushing across junctions, squeezing into spaces and lanes by cutting people off...

In London amber means go... or at least that seems to be the case... Invariably if I don't move off on red-amber I'll get beeped or almost driven into.

Apparently it's also ok to go through a red if it's only been red for a few seconds.

Associate
I did once book a Startline (private hire) from MK to Stansted, the driver stopped in the hardshoulder of the M25 because he though he had a flat tyre when he was driving over the concrete sections!

Soldato
Uber just seems to be full of fresh off the boat ignorant drivers, or home grown idiot drivers.

Pretty much this. It seems in some of the cities the bus drivers just use their bus as a weapon, but the taxi's are a joke. Mind you, Durham's Ubers are excellent, although there are only about five of them and about three drive a Model S. :D

Soldato
i get the feeling taxi drivers think they are immune to the law when it comes to driving and just do what they want
on the other hand the roads are a stupidly busy place these days and everyone is being forced and rushed into making bad decisions

Soldato
Was in a taxi going to the airport a while ago, private hire, not uber.

Was a big minibus mercades thing, had my back to the driver. He kept hitting the cats eyes on the side of the motorway, eventually I turned around to see him with a newspaper up on the steering wheel and him reading it! Thankfully he put it away when I asked what the **** he was doing...

Reported him, but didn't hear anything from it.

Soldato
Taxis in Italy are fun.
100% took one in Rome and it was quite scary.

My friend used one in Rome too, said as a bunch of people were crossing the road he accelerated towards them, then slammed the brakes on, looked at them sitting in the back and said "Strike!".

Soldato
Myself and 3 friends, all not the smallest people, got a cab in Porto a couple of months ago. The guy turned up in a Renault Zoe! He actually apologised for having such a small car. I can't fathom why you would think that was appropriate for an uber, but there you go - it's not.

Soldato
It's probably because they drive all the time and take short cuts of the rules.

I find lorry drivers are the same, speeding around like they are driving a car.

Soldato
I find most lorry drivers fine, the only thing that they routinely do that ****** me off. Is when you're on a dual carriageway and it gets to a bit that's 50, roadworks or whatever. They will plod on at 56, and won't slow down, so you're just doing the speed limit, in lane 1 and they'll tailgate the **** out of you. Rules apply to you too. Idc if you'll lose momentum from 56 to 50, don't speed.

One place this is really evident is M25 clockwise coming up to the QE2 Bridge at dartford crossing. It goes from NSL to 50.

Soldato
You'd think being their day-to-day job they'd be pros.

I feel the same about lorry drivers - I would expect people who drive for a living, to be a cut above the commuters - professionals as you put it. But alas, some of them really aren't - drifting into the hard shoulder, pulling into your lane when you're alongside their trailer, all sorts.

I guess that all the time on the road, just makes them blase.

Soldato
They're not the worst drivers, but........
........ they spend their time on the road, so they think they can lord it over casual users.
^ This.
But then they really can lord it over most casual uses, because their experience and skillset is far wider. Just be assertive and don't let them bully their way past you, is all. Once they realise you'll kick back, they'll behave themselves just fine.
Never had a problem with black cabs, executive taxis HGVs or professional white van drivers.

For me, it's usually a Corsa driver, self-drive white vans, SUV and 4x4 drivers, BMWs and Audis, with the occasional **** in whatever fancy car he's dicking around in... Last one was a matte-black Bentley sporty thing weaving through fast moving traffic, who didn't think a dented old Škoda could even keep up with him, much less overtake and flash him a look of scathing reproach.

Sho

Sho

Soldato
Yup taxi drivers are bad around here. They think they own the roads around here:rolleyes:

For me it's usually 4x4 driver, BMW and Audi drivers. They all think
"I'm driving an expensive car, give me way. I have more right then you. I'm the better driver" attitude.

Back
Top Bottom