1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are taxi drivers the worst drivers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Russinating, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Dis86

Capodecina

Lol spot on with the 1000yd stare thing! I know it so well. It's what you normally see them doing when they cut you up/pull out in front of you at a roundabout and then you pull along side them on a dual carriageway

2. NVP

Soldato

Poor chap, ladies give me way and a smile too x

3. Russinating

Capodecina

Come again?

4. LuckyBenski

Mobster

He's kink-shaming poor old Russinating.

5. NVP

Soldato

:D

6. Lethal`

Mobster

Drivers are moving at about 0-15mph most of the time in London.

They are much slower than cyclists.

Unless cycling into a major headwind or up hill >20mph is a fairly easy effort.

7. 233

Capodecina

Run a taxi company with 30 drivers

Some are fantastic most are barely competent. Some shouldn't be allowed anywhere within 100 miles of a car

8. Dis86

Capodecina

And this, gents, is the best summary we're going to get. When the guy running a taxi company concludes most are barely competent you know he's speaking the truth.

9. Scania

Capodecina

Thankfully it’s the reverse with HGV drivers in my experience - perhaps down to training required to get the license plus periodic classroom training (driver CPC) the majority are very good, however some and I don’t mean necessarily our Eastern European friends really make me wonder how on earth they managed to get to a given delivery point, this sometimes springs to mind... :D
    [​IMG]

10. Nasher

Capodecina

We banned a few taxi companies from coming on site because their drivers were lunatics. Now people have to walk and meet them at the main entrance.

11. Dis86

Capodecina

We've done the same.

12. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

do you regularly record your taxi drivers? just seems weird

13. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

No need - Five minutes on a cyclist's YouTube channel is probably enough!

14. 233

Capodecina

what i would say regards HGV drivers if you spend any time on the motorway at night theres a heck of a lot of them struggling to stay awake

i'm guessing its tough when theres pressure on you to make schedules

i had a run to Liverpool last night but thankfully i'm in the position where i could just drop into Tebay and grab an hour before continuing up the road.

15. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

"when the police showed up and my missus had showed them the video she'd taken of him driving"

16. ttaskmaster

Sgarrista

Still not necessary as likely to have been filmed by a cyclist. I like the ones where they shout the registrations out. It's like a volunteer mobile CCTV force!

17. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

I have no real idea of what their shift patterns are like but I am assuming they do long shifts 4 days on then say 4 days off or something like that. Where it's a 12 hour shift or something.

Lets assume they need to do something and say their shift starts at 6pm til 6 am. Rather than sleeping the night before at say 9am til 4pm. They will probably be going to sleep like a normal person and waking up at 8am and taking kids to school or going to the shops, dropping stuff off at post office, etc or going to a doctor's / dentists appointment then going to work at 6pm. So come 1am they are knackered. It's normal.

What they need to do is make driverless vehicles a reality and make them either affordable or able to be rented/leased for short periods of time for peanuts. Like 1/3rd the price of an Uber ride is currently.

You then have to make them clean too. The drivers are human and have responsibilities. their shifts are more suitable for machines rather than humans.

18. Tefal

Capo Crimine

I wonder if it says social awareness thing.

Men seem much more able to predict thier speed the gap the time it takes to manoeuvre etc.

I usualy know if I flash a bloke (hehe) he will be out and gone and I wont have to adjust speed.

If I flash a woman I will have to slow down as there will be dithering.

On cab drivers from the perspective of a motorcyclist, uber etc are terrible literally like they haven't passed a test.

Black cabs outside of London are just ******** loads of uturns/no indication.

Black cab drivers in London seem decent though they will take small gaps and are confident in their ability but they do seem very aware of what's around them etc not ridden in London much but I felt far less at risk around London cabs than Manchester cabs

19. Jean-F

Wise Guy

Long time since I last drove a 44 ton artic, maybe 1988-1989, but I THINK that the max driving hours in a day are, or were, 9, and that at least a 45 minute break had to be taken after 4.5 hours of driving.
    There were some extenuating circumstances, where you could drive 10 hours per day, once or twice in a week, or two week period, but I couldn’t swear to it.

20. Scania

Capodecina

9 hour driving limit extendable to 10 hours twice per week, weekly limit of 56 hours, 90 hour driving limit over two consecutive weeks.

Shifts can be upto 15 hours in a 24 hour period you can do 3 15 hour shifts in a week the rest must be no longer than 13 hours.

I think if Joe Public realised just how long HGV drivers can legally work there would be an outcry - somebody phone the Daily Fail.... :p

@233 , add those hours to the graveyard shift and you soon understand why so many drivers are tired!