Bought undeclared Cat N car is there anything I can do?

Soldato
Haven't laughed at a thread as much as this one for a good while, wife keeps asking why I'm laughing.

So many errors in this and trying to blame the seller, as many many people have mentioned you didn't ask the correct questions so he didn't lie and now you've had your fingers burned it surely must be someone else's fault right.

Caporegime
No I believe I was conned as more and more evidence is pointing to him knowing the car was Cat N but didn't list it as such. The guy has connections in Luton, he could have bought it and had it repaired there for resale. I am thinking about making him swear on his religion that he's not lying (Muslim) because he seems pretty devout judging by his FaceBook.
Yeh and being a devout Muslim somehow makes you a more genuine person lol. I know plenty of so called “devout” Muslims who lie through their teeth and aren’t bothered in any way, shape or form about swearing on their religious book, their 10 wives and mother lol.
Just move on and let it go. Next time ffs do a hpicheck at the very least before buying the car.

Man of Honour
I'm sure you wouldn't be hiding things like this in your listings though. Like I said, the guy explicitly stated he damaged the wing mirror... but it's there damaged before he bought it. If he's lying about that he's probably lying about the Cat N thing. I bought the car with the hope I could sell it for a similar price a few months after owning it but the Cat N mark gives its value a hit. I've been driving an MOT failure for some time and had to buy something quick as I work 7 days and am too worn out for this car rubbish.
Probably, but you didn't ask therefore he's done nothing wrong and you should stop trying to harass the bloke and learn from your mistakes instead of blaming someone else.

Associate
OP
Haven't laughed at a thread as much as this one for a good while, wife keeps asking why I'm laughing.

So many errors in this and trying to blame the seller, as many many people have mentioned you didn't ask the correct questions so he didn't lie and now you've had your fingers burned it surely must be someone else's fault right.
He said in person the car wasn't in any accidents when my friend pointed at the log book being clear with no history of accidents but I don't see how that would help unless it was recorded.

Associate
OP
Is it a bad idea to get the car valued at a garage or will that make me more angry?

HPI valued it at £2,460 trade-in and £3,360 private but "This valuation does not take into account any damage history this vehicle may have."

Soldato
If you keep the pictures of the damage etc to show it wasn't serious then it might not knock huge amounts off the value.

But it will be hard to sell since Golfs aren't exactly rare. You will have to undercut everyone to shift it.

Last edited:
https://www.vcheck.uk/ is the best check to use. It scans salvage records for everything including non categorised write offs and ex-taxi searches etc. Plus you'll get to see pictures of the damage etc if it was fairly recent.

The amount of hpi clear cars that are totally destroyed in a previous life is pretty staggering. Have a look at their social media for some examples.

Thats a really good site, I was dubious but after seeing what the OP just posted it looks like an absolute bargin for what you get back.

Man of Honour
Is it a bad idea to get the car valued at a garage or will that make me more angry?

HPI valued it at £2,460 trade-in and £3,360 private but "This valuation does not take into account any damage history this vehicle may have."
What are you doing to yourself? I honestly think you need to get a grip, these are not the actions of a sane rational adult.

Caporegime
OH FFS. It's a £2.5k golf that's been repaired. if you plan to keep it for even a couple of years then stop worrying and drive the bloody thing!

Can't type for toffee
Don
Sorry mate but you dropped the ball and didnt carry out the checks you should have done.
This has absolutely nothing to do with religion so why bring it up? tbh tho if thats the type of attitude you're taking with the seller then Im surprised he hasn't told you to gtfo and blocked your number

From what I can see...
You didn't carry out an HPI check
You thought it had more power than it does
You're not happy with the boot, which clearly isn't damaged in the above pics.

A Mirror is a cheap 50 quid fix if that, was likely repaired prior to him buying it and hes subsequently caught it.

Private sale, sold as seen you have zero comebacks.

Soldato
Now? He's surely been trolling from the outset!
Well at first I thought "yeah some people do think everything is someone else's fault" but now that he involved "links to Luton" and testing his "Muslim beliefs" I gotta call troll or he's on another level and needs a good slap :D

Soldato
At this end of the market a Cat N probably doesn't make much difference to value, nor does it take much to achieve it. A few scratches and a hire car for a few days can trigger it.

But

Wow, does no one take personal responsibility these days..

Back
Top Bottom