Bought undeclared Cat N car is there anything I can do?

Associate
Bought yesterday from private seller. Just did an HPI check and shows as Cat N. Used bank transfer to pay, added car reg to transfer notes. Seller refuses to refund says they didn't know it was Cat N. Doesn't saw Cat-anything on the log book. Car is sitting uninsured on the grass (or still on his insurance).

Any solutions to getting money back?

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Is there any way I can find out when the car was purchased by him? The accident is noted as being on Dec 2018 and he said in a call he was the owner for over a year... but then came back in a text to say he bought it in Jan 2019. Is there any way I can find out his actual purchase date/transfer of ownership? I have the call recorded.

Associate
OP
Regardless of whether they knew, unless the advert said 'not a write off' there isn't much you can do about it anyway. You'd need to prove he deliberately lied about it to get anywhere in small claims court and from what you've said here, I don't think you've got enough to prove that.
He stated in the recorded call that he didn't know it was Cat N. Accident happened Dec 2018. If I can prove he owned the car during it getting catted that is proof he is lying.

Associate
OP
Problem with private seller, as you must do the right questions. A whole different thing if it was a dealer.
The car document should show when he registered it? Also the original listing, any mention to no accident or general condition?
I went with my friend who's bought loads of cars and the first thing he said when he saw the log book was that it ain't registered as a Cat so I took that for it. Seller also agreed with this.

Also how would asking questions matter if it wasn't recorded? Someone can just say he explicitly stated it's not a Cat N and have whoever they were with back them up.

Associate
OP
Which website HPI check will show the date of last owner change cos the one I did didn't mention it? Also since the form was sent off on Tuesday I'm probably not down as the new owner yet.

Associate
OP
I checked last keeper date... aquired March 2019.

So looks like he bought it as Cat N.

Sold date before him shows as 19th Dec which is the date of the write off... So if he genuinely didn't know it was Cat N maybe the company who sold it to him should be liable?

Associate
OP
Can you tell where it has been repaired? I.e. what kind of accident it was in?

Cat N is typically just superficial damage isn't it?
Is there anyway I can find out what was damaged? If he bought it from salvage place it would be in their database right? I can't tell from looking at it. I mean there is damage... like the boot don't close which I found was a wobbly strike plate... but don't think this would cat n it unless someone tried to break in.

Associate
OP
Did you like literally buy this car without really seeing it in person or test driving it. I know its a cheap car but every car I've purchased from a £700 banger to a 150k super car I thoroughly checked over, HPI, checked all doors open, boot, checked everything works, drove it to make sure it drove as it should and performed.

This almost feels like you see advert, buy it over phone, handed cash over and then drove it home. should have just walked away at first sign of damage, be plenty more for sale.
Desperation cos my original car is pretty much scrap. I work 7 days a week and I did test drive it and knocked the price down a few hundred.

Associate
OP
https://www.vcheck.uk/ is the best check to use. It scans salvage records for everything including non categorised write offs and ex-taxi searches etc. Plus you'll get to see pictures of the damage etc if it was fairly recent.

The amount of hpi clear cars that are totally destroyed in a previous life is pretty staggering. Have a look at their social media for some examples.
That site is wicked. So he tells me in a text he bought the car on Jan 31st 2019 and in a call that he didn't know it was in an accident.

Then I find these pics:

gs1oInP.jpg

Sale date Jan 26th? So this was the state of the vehicle 5 days before he bought it? Looks like he knew it was Cat N, or even bought it as damaged to fix up?

Associate
OP
He regrets buying the car and is looking for any reason he can find to try and bully/harass the seller into giving him some money back.

He's exactly the type of buyer that has made webuyanycar so successful, nobody wants the potential of dealing with this sort of nonsense trying to sell a cheap old car.

No I believe I was conned as more and more evidence is pointing to him knowing the car was Cat N but didn't list it as such. The guy has connections in Luton, he could have bought it and had it repaired there for resale. I am thinking about making him swear on his religion that he's not lying (Muslim) because he seems pretty devout judging by his FaceBook.

Associate
OP
You weren't conned, you just didn't bother checking anything until it was too late - ie the point at which you started regretting it and looking for a way out imo.

Nope. I dunno if I mentioned earlier but I did the HPI check after I found issues with the boot being misaligned and started to think it was crashed into. I was actually pretty excited to refresh the car and mod it a bit before this.

Back
Top Bottom