• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Threadripper 3 confirmed

• Thread starter Deleted member 209350
  • Start date

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
The 64 core 3990X has been announced, it's just not available yet.

What the hell.. Has it? Not sure how I ended up missing that, I only seemed to see the 24 and 48 core variants.

But that does leave a lovely nice set of 4 TR chips though, 24, 32, 48 and 64 cores... All at over 4.3ghz clock speeds as well, its almost frightening

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Too expensisive. Not enough benefit over a 750 quid 3950x. Crappy boost clocks. Killed the upgrade path for existing x399 users.

I'm out.

Associate
Too expensisive. Not enough benefit over a 750 quid 3950x. Crappy boost clocks. Killed the upgrade path for existing x399 users.

I'm out.

Probably same here, I will either just pick up a 2950 that some one has sacked off though the meagre improvements over what I have make me reluctant as I don't need cores, just a desire for more speed, or pick up Intels HEDT if it hits good clocks. I may be able to make a 3950x work but i'd basically be maxing it out at time of purchase and have no where to go interms of extra drives etc.

Last edited:

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP

I'm out.

lol? Crappy boost clocks? How high did you expect chips with a minimum of 24 cores to boost upto then?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Still on the fence - I may or may not buy one as an upgrade to 1950x.

Not really an upgrade though is it - it's a new system as you'll need a new mobo - and TR mobos aren't cheap.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
lol? Crappy boost clocks? How high did you expect chips with a minimum of 24 cores to boost upto then?
At least match the highest boost clocks in the existing Ryzen line - which is 4.7ghz. The 2950x beats the 2700x boost clocks (4.4ghz vs 4.35ghz) and the 2950x has double the cores of the 2700x. TR's have always used cherry picked cores but this time it looks like the cherry picked cores are going in the 3950x. If and when AMD put the best cores back into TR, then maybe I'll come back to the Threadripper camp. For now, I'm looing at what Intel are going to do.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
At least match the highest boost clocks in the existing Ryzen line - which is 4.7ghz. The 2950x beats the 2700x boost clocks (4.4ghz vs 4.35ghz) and the 2950x has double the cores of the 2700x. TR's have always used cherry picked cores but this time it looks like the cherry picked cores are going in the 3950x. If and when AMD put the best cores back into TR, then maybe I'll come back to the Threadripper camp. For now, I'm looing at what Intel are going to do.

Intel in the HEDT space are garbage compared to Threadripper

Man of Honour
Not really an upgrade though is it - it's a new system as you'll need a new mobo - and TR mobos aren't cheap.

There is that and when you already bought 3x x399 boards because ESXI then its pretty pricey but if you want the best of the best then you pay the monies. Like you id require a minimum of 3x nvme, enough space for 6 or so sata, 4 gpu's etc. I'm not sure I will now "downgrade" to AM4 as then half my 8x8gb 3466 bdie ram will be useless. I need at least 16 cores for work so its either stick with 1950x or go with TRX40.

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

OP
It’s a massive upgrade, light years ahead of Intel. The TR40 platform is immense.

Its not even fanboyish to make this statement as its just pure facts. Intel are way way behind for HEDT chips

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
It’s a massive upgrade,

But not for existing TR users. My upgrade from 1950x to 2950x was worth it, but the cost/benefit ratio for 2950x to 3960x just isn't there. I think AMD trying to steal a march on Intel have made a mistake in cutting off the x399 upgrade path

Soldato
But not for existing TR users. My upgrade from 1950x to 2950x was worth it, but the cost/benefit ratio for 2950x to 3960x just isn't there. I think AMD trying to steal a march on Intel have made a mistake in cutting off the x399 upgrade path

TR40 is spanning the gap to EPYC (maybe including) The options PCIE 4 opens up to motherboard designs would be hampered with PCIE 3 and would no doubt bring the same issues AM4 backwards compatibility.

Soldato

You're kidding right?
What is your upgrade pathway?
From TR to potentially intel? For what role, intel will barely if at all match old TR, let alone new.
They don't stand a chance, what your multicore need?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
They don't stand a chance, what your multicore need?

I could certainly benefit from 32 maybe even 64 cores, but realistically I was looking at a 24 core upgrade but the cost is beyond what I expected them to come in at and the cost benefit ratio just isn't there.

Las week I a Python program on 8tb of observational data looking for patterns in gesture recognition, took 4 days on my 2950x at 100% usage :eek: Ran the next one on the Uni's 128 core Epyc machine - would be nice to be able to do that at home instead as it's a PITA booking machine time when you're looking at conference deadlines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom