Win10 benefits vs Win7 pro ?

Associate
Ive often wondered and had a little play on another drive yet fail to notice any benefits.

I've heard some notice their PC running slower. I've also noticed Win10's annoying habit of not letting you chose which updates to install.

Also any luck or failures upgrading 7 to 10 ? (keeping all your apps, settings, save games etc). How can you tell if your Win10 cd/image is an upgrade or fresh install version ?. I would want to upgrade not clean install hence need to be sure.

Last edited:
Associate
The LTSC Win 10 I use at work has the feel of Win 7. No apps, no annoyances. Updates are not as intrusive.

For home use you need to tweak Win 10 a lot to kill everything you don't need and shut up telemetry processes. And even after that it will be twice as heavy as Win 7. But thats not a choise with new hardware

I do recommend Simple Firewall. Its a spiritual successor to TinyFirewall and is able to keep most of Windows update/telemetry stuff from accessing network.

Soldato
I think the best way to describe it is when you go out and buy yourself a new laptop or prebuilt from an OEM and when you first turn it on it's loaded down with their own spyware and bloatware - well Windows 10 is the operating system equivalent of that. Except, where OEMs do get criticised for doing it, Microsoft not only seems to get a free pass from end users but we get people in threads actively defending them!

I'm starting to think a large portion of the PC userbase has completely taken leave of their senses.

Man of Honour
Yeah I don't understand it - especially a few years ago if a popular application had a major update that behaved like Windows 10 all hell would break loose.

Soldato
Yeah I don't understand it - especially a few years ago if a popular application had a major update that behaved like Windows 10 all hell would break loose.

I'll admit i've had a bad night sleep wise so i'm probably very grumpy but I stand by what I said - I absolutely cannot understand why Microsoft get a free pass in this regard. I mean imagine if you're one of the people not eligible for a free upgrade and actually had to pay to be spied on! Crazy and terrifying in equal amounts.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Pro: 10 will eventually be more secure when 7 stops getting patches in the very near future.
Con: 10 owns you. You don't own 10.

Maybe in an out of the box/off the shelf configuration for the general person. But anyone here (especially here) installing 10 will likely already know about how to initially choose the correct options at setup and control what is doing what once settled in.

The first part is not true. On any half decent machine Windows 10 is faster, not slower. The only time it's slower is if you don't have the component resources to begin with. As in an underpowered computer. Windows 10 also makes use of various CPU technologies for turbo boost etc which Windows 7 does not, so 10 will naturally perform better under demanding applications like gaming/editing etc.

Associate
OP
Windows 10 also makes use of various CPU technologies for turbo boost etc which Windows 7 does not, so 10 will naturally perform better under demanding applications like gaming/editing etc.

Incorrect. My Win7 installation is happily using turbo boost to push my CPU to 4Ghz when needed.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Incorrect. My Win7 installation is happily using turbo boost to push my CPU to 4Ghz when needed.

Yes turbo boost in general but I read a while back that Windows 10's latest updates introduce more improvements with multi-core CPUs especially in regards to scheduling of favoured cores which didn't exist in previous OS versions resulting in better performance, lower latency and better battery life (where laptops are concerned). This is only since the November update.

Back
Top Bottom