Virgin Media Discussion Thread

Associate
I am currently paying £72 out of contract for Phone(Never plugged in), mix tv and 350 broadband.

But i can't really play the cancel game, as looking at the checker i can get upto 6Mbps through ADSL.
DQ9iPmB.png

Man of Honour
I am currently paying £72 out of contract for Phone(Never plugged in), mix tv and 350 broadband.

But i can't really play the cancel game, as looking at the checker i can get upto 6Mbps through ADSL.
DQ9iPmB.png

Of course you can, just phone up saying you'd like to cancel and they will immediately drop the price. If you want further discounts, proceed with the cancellation and they'll chase you on the phone with a better deal. You can always cancel the cancel before it goes through :)

Associate
Of course you can, just phone up saying you'd like to cancel and they will immediately drop the price. If you want further discounts, proceed with the cancellation and they'll chase you on the phone with a better deal. You can always cancel the cancel before it goes through :)

Ah :D I actually re-looked at Sky and they now have FTTC as an option for me of 40-60 speeds which will do me fine and over half the price, so just going to make the jump now.

Soldato
I was offered £62.50 a month for staying on our existing 350/35, 200 channel and talk weekends bundle post the September upgrade so that seems expensive.

I had actually phoned up just asking for options for an upgrade so I wasn't exactly pushing for a deal on the existing package and eventually went with an upgrade package also with a discount. So either they're tightening up on discounts or perhaps you got someone at the end of a long day or the wrong call centre.

Yep, I feel its too much. Around 50 nearer the mark but we will see, as I said, I don't want the game starting now as it will hit me early Jan when I don't have the time to react if they call my bluff ;)

Soldato
I'm using a Super Hub 3 and the boot times are outrageous compared to the Super Hub 2. Can you request a Super Hub 2 over phone or will they just say no?

They will say no. If you push hard, they'll probably say they don't have any left in stock. Why are boot times a problem? It's recommended that you leave a Superhub on all the time, so you shouldn't need to be rebooting it very often.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
If you are using it as a router, then don't since you are rebooting it means you are overworking it to the point it needs to power cycle. Buy a better router and put hub 3 in modem only mode instead. A far better option that gives actual benefits to your LAN.

Associate
They will say no. If you push hard, they'll probably say they don't have any left in stock. Why are boot times a problem? It's recommended that you leave a Superhub on all the time, so you shouldn't need to be rebooting it very often.

Recommended, a link please?

A problem because the waiting is excessive.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
But then why is there a need to ever reboot it? It takes a few minutes to boot up and connect to VM which is fine in the rare once or twice a year need to do so because of an outage or update etc.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
VM won't give you a SH2 as there is no fault and connections above 200Mb won't work on hub versions below v3 anyway. The hub is meant to be connected at all times, it's also how VM push out updates to it during the late night hours. If it's a costs savings effort, then the draw figures for the SH3 are between £16 (idle) and £22 (load) per year if it is left powered on 24/7 365.

Soldato
Recommended, a link please?

A problem because the waiting is excessive.

It's been the case for many years as VM like to see the equipment staying on the line so they can balance and resource your part of the network. It also means your Superhub and Tivo box (and any other smart devices) will get updates and continue to work as necessary, your wi-fi will work over night, and you won't have to put up with long start times every day when you switch it on. For instance, you'll get Superhub firmware updates at night, instead of waiting for that on top of the normal boot time when you switch it on in the morning.

I'm sure you can drop their support people a message on their forums if you want a definitive answer.

Caporegime
I mostly turn it off when not is use. Not timed it, but it's 5 minutes plus.

lolwut?

Why do you turn it off?

also why not just buy a smart plug and turn it on 5 minutes before you need it?

do you not have stuff which needs wifi on all the time?

I have a smart doorbell, smart smoke detectors, smart cctv, smart thermostat, the list goes on and on. therefore internet is on 24/7.

Soldato
lolwut?

Why do you turn it off?

also why not just buy a smart plug and turn it on 5 minutes before you need it?

do you not have stuff which needs wifi on all the time?

I have a smart doorbell, smart smoke detectors, smart cctv, smart thermostat, the list goes on and on. therefore internet is on 24/7.

Yeah sounds crazy.

Associate
Virgin Media have really peed me off today,

Internet has been dodgy all week,Keep going on/off,I taken no notice as it seemed to resolve itself but past couple of days its been going off and keep "restarting" so i phoned up and the guy in India couldn't fix the problem on his end saying my box in the house was not responding, so set me up with an engineer visit today between 12-4,5 clock came still no engineer.

So i phoned support again waited 20 minutes for them to answer the phone to then be told my engineer had been cancelled,as you can imagine im furious at hearing this because not only have i had to loose a day work but take holiday from work to stay in for this,i couldn't go out or do anything between 12-4,i then asked why it was cancelled and why nobody bothered to let me know he wasn't coming.

he made out an "ingenious" engineer found that the problem was actually a problem in the area in the main box so when thats found out they cancel any near by home engineer visits,i said right okay BUT dont you guys bother to let your customers who are waiting in know they wont be coming? and he said someone should have..i said well they didn't.

So annoying,i bet if i was to stop paying my bill they'd soon make an attempt to call me.

They did a similar thing to me. I told them I wanted to claim the automatic missed engineer visit of (I think) £30. They fought me on this claiming that they had sent a text informing me that the visit was cancelled - which they indeed had done. The problem was it was sent 24 hours after the appointment was scheduled to take place!

They tried to spin me a line that if there was a problem in the area the visit is automatically cancelled and they had informed me.

When faced with my evidence of the timing they still fought it even when I escalated it and said my next port of call was OFCOM.

To cut a long story short, after two weeks and about three or four phone calls, they eventually paid up. I suggest you take the same tack.

Good luck

NB

Soldato
Nevakonaza said:
Virgin Media have really peed me off today,

Internet has been dodgy all week,Keep going on/off,I taken no notice as it seemed to resolve itself but past couple of days its been going off and keep "restarting" so i phoned up and the guy in India couldn't fix the problem on his end saying my box in the house was not responding, so set me up with an engineer visit today between 12-4,5 clock came still no engineer.

So i phoned support again waited 20 minutes for them to answer the phone to then be told my engineer had been cancelled,as you can imagine im furious at hearing this because not only have i had to loose a day work but take holiday from work to stay in for this,i couldn't go out or do anything between 12-4,i then asked why it was cancelled and why nobody bothered to let me know he wasn't coming.

he made out an "ingenious" engineer found that the problem was actually a problem in the area in the main box so when thats found out they cancel any near by home engineer visits,i said right okay BUT dont you guys bother to let your customers who are waiting in know they wont be coming? and he said someone should have..i said well they didn't.

So annoying,i bet if i was to stop paying my bill they'd soon make an attempt to call me

Claim your £25 asap

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/automatic-compensation

Soldato
Had my first proper encounter with the foreign call centre today, normally been able to get through to the UK retentions team straight away but they were adamant that I can't speak to them.

Was like talking to a brick wall, just kept repeating the same thing over and over again and when I asked to make a complaint I was told there was no point :eek:. I wasn't being aggressive or anything either just found it frustratingly funny.

Will try again later, to me its very straight forward as I was told the price increase wouldn't affect my new contract and yet it has gone up, I know the time and date so they can just check the recording and hear what I was told.

Back
Top Bottom