• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GPU in PCIEX4 instead of x16

Caporegime
Tried my 1080ti in a 4X slot on my board, I was experimenting with airflow (not that I really give a crap tbh) but can't honestly say there was any perceptible difference,1-2 fps in RDR2 X-Plane 11 actually seemed much smoother weirdly! - it just looked wrong though so I put it back in the 16X slot. :o

Associate
OP
Tried my 1080ti in a 4X slot on my board, I was experimenting with airflow (not that I really give a crap tbh) but can't honestly say there was any perceptible difference,1-2 fps in RDR2 X-Plane 11 actually seemed much smoother weirdly! - it just looked wrong though so I put it back in the 16X slot. :o
I did a lot of reading online since this thread and it seems unless you have a really top end card then you will not notice a difference. I moved it anyway as it didn't look right and didn't feel right leaving it there lol

Soldato
In fairness you're comparing a PCI-E 3.0 16x slot to a PCI-E 3.0 4x slot (1/4 of the bandwidth). The OP is asking about the difference between a PCI-E 3.0 16x slot and a PCI-E 2.0 4x slot routed through the chipset (less than 1/8th of the bandwidth and will bottleneck pretty much any GPU made after 2009).

Caporegime
In fairness you're comparing a PCI-E 3.0 16x slot to a PCI-E 3.0 4x slot (1/4 of the bandwidth). The OP is asking about the difference between a PCI-E 3.0 16x slot and a PCI-E 2.0 4x slot routed through the chipset (less than 1/8th of the bandwidth and will bottleneck pretty much any GPU made after 2009).
Apologies, I hadn’t realised that, although still, I’d wager the average punter would be hard pressed to spot the difference.

Back
Top Bottom