What is your most prized possession?

Soldato
house and garden i guess

IMG-20190711-174322.jpg

Man of Honour
Yeah I genuinely couldn't give a crap about most of my material possessions. Certainly nothing I own is "prized". It helps that I own nothing expensive. Nothing at all. I like that, personally.

Stuff is variously useful, rarely hard-earned, occasionally satisfying to acquire... but none of my stuff makes me happy, and all of it I could live without. Most of it I wouldn't even miss. Might even be better off without it.

The only truly important/valuable/treasured things are living things. Even for a grumpy old tit like myself.

One problem I do find is that stuff I find that works for me, often becomes unobtainable a few years later :(

My every day shoes for instance are a pair of trainers that they've now stopped making but the looks, material quality and durability, way they feel on my feet, etc. will be very hard to replace and they just click for me. Same with the truck I got recently actually - it just clicks for me - the engine is a bit unique and they are increasingly becoming rarer - something else that will likely be hard to replace down the line which will make me sad when I have to part with it for whatever reason.

Soldato
I guess legally I kind of 'own' my mother, now she's incapable of making even the most basic of decisions for herself and I have full power of attorney. She and the dog are the only things I'd rush to rescue from a fire. Dog first, because smoke inhalation is a kinder way to go than dementia.

However to enter into the spirit of the question rather than getting all pompously New-Year's-Eve-introspective, if I get the chance the first thing I pick up in the morning and the last thing I put down at night is my guitar. I wouldn't run into a fire for it though. The world is full of great instruments and it'd be nice to have an excuse to find another.

My teddy's less easily replaced, and reminds me of when I was totally dependent upon Mum, not the other way around, but... now I'm drifting back towards being tediously introspective. So maybe I'll swing to the other extreme. My wallet! Because the cards it contains give me access to my hard-won savings and the security they offer. I'm very far from rich, but I'm very cheap to run and value security and stability above all else. Stuff is just stuff; even the stuff soaked in memories.

Oh darn... I just remembered something I'd miss. Already packed away safely after this year's festivities is the head of a damaged Santa candle Mum bought the first Christmas after I was born. That Santa was a core part of our family Christmas right up until she started to lose the plot and left him in a spot where he got badly damaged. His head survives intact, and with it lives the spirit of Christmases that will never come again.

I couldn't use it to restart my life after a fire though... just to start one. So, on balance, the wallet wins. Except I'd probably need my passport too for ID purposes. That's two things. This is hard. Maybe just the passport would do for starting again?

Ask me again at midnight after I've had a drink. Or have been asleep for an hour.

My DMX (stage) lights collection:

- 4 moving heads
- 2 par cans
- 2 floods
- 4 battens
- 7 pinspots
- 1 UV canon
- 1 smoke machine

I actually use these instead of domestic lighting and yet my leccy bill is only £25/month.

Plus my laptop which runs the above kit via USB-to-DMX interface. It also has a GTX 1660 Ti :)

Soldato
One problem I do find is that stuff I find that works for me, often becomes unobtainable a few years later :(

My every day shoes for instance are a pair of trainers that they've now stopped making but the looks, material quality and durability, way they feel on my feet, etc. will be very hard to replace and they just click for me. Same with the truck I got recently actually - it just clicks for me - the engine is a bit unique and they are increasingly becoming rarer - something else that will likely be hard to replace down the line which will make me sad when I have to part with it for whatever reason.

This is the reason why i mentioned my TV in my last post, it's a 2016 LG OLED, the last model they made before abandoning 3D. Hence if my TV breaks down then there's no way to watch my 3D blu-rays on an OLED ever again.

Back
Top Bottom