Should I take promotion?

Associate
I used to work in one department, which i enjoyed but moved to an admin department for the pay increase. I love this new department but I have been offered a promotion in the other department as a lead. It's enough of a pay increase to make me consider it but I think I prefer my current department at the moment and feel comfortable there. However, there doesn't seem to be any opportunities for promotion in my current department.

I don't know whether to stay in the job I enjoy and am comfortable in or to take a chance and improve my CV. Also a work friend of my has applied for the promotion too but I've basically been guaranteed the promotion if I apply. He doesn't know this yet

I'm really stuck and don't know what to do.

Associate
OP
What are the current duties?
What would the new duties be?

Is there any change of travel location?
It's in the same hospital. At the moment I'm doing administration work but the new role will be lead porter. I will be doing normal portering i.e. transporting patients but will being doing rotas and statistics too. It shouldn't be too hard - I'm more worried about taking the job from my friend and whether I will be a good supervisor.

Permabanned
It's in the same hospital. At the moment I'm doing administration work but the new role will be lead porter. I will be doing normal portering i.e. transporting patients but will being doing rotas and statistics too. It shouldn't be too hard - I'm more worried about taking the job from my friend and whether I will be a good supervisor.

One of the questions I would be asking myself is what would I do with the extra income?
Is it worth having more money than I am on now?
Would I enjoy that role more than what I enjoy now?
Is there any progression if I take the new role?

Associate
OP
One of the questions I would be asking myself is what would I do with the extra income?
Is it worth having more money than I am on now?
Would I enjoy that role more than what I enjoy now?
Is there any progression if I take the new role?

Those are good questions. I would definitely benefit from the extra income as I'm struggling with what I'm on at the moment.
I feel like it would be progress if I took the new role and there are further opportunities for progression through this path, while there aren't for my current role.
I can't tell whether I would enjoy it or not, but I'm enjoying myself in the role I'm in at the moment - maybe I'm too comfortable

Permabanned
Would there be a possible chance to trial the new position for a month or two with a guarantee that you could move back into your old role if you didn’t like it?

that’s what I would ask. It sounds like it could be an opportunity for pastures new. However from my previous work history sometimes the grass isn’t always greener on the other side.

I have been through something similar myself. :)

Soldato
Those are good questions. I would definitely benefit from the extra income as I'm struggling with what I'm on at the moment.
I feel like it would be progress if I took the new role and there are further opportunities for progression through this path, while there aren't for my current role.
I can't tell whether I would enjoy it or not, but I'm enjoying myself in the role I'm in at the moment - maybe I'm too comfortable

lol do it...

You need the money
opens up doors

who cares if you don't like it for the short run - it will progress you

OR struggle with same money
no progression.

No pain no gain.

Back
Top Bottom