Leather Noblechairs Hero

Associate
I have a tendancy for verbosity, so if you can't be bothered to read my post, then please read this paragraph and the last one. In a nut shell the post resolves to [blah blah blah] I don't get on with PU leather and I'm finding £579 for the real leather Hero fractionally beyond my budget [blah blah blah] I wish it had been in a sale [blah blah blah] what should I do now?

Background
So for months I was convinced that I was going to get a charcoal blue SoftWeave SecretLab Titan as soon as the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales started. However, just before those sales started the chair I wanted went out of stock and all I could do was pre-order. Just before I was going to do that, I saw a post explaining that once they get your money they won't willingly give it back even if there is a failure at there end and the order hasn't been fulfilled. I don't think I've ever cancelled an order before and don't ever plan to, but that post didn't give me a lot of confidence in the integrity of Secretlab. That post got me curious though and I started looking into Secretlab a little more; I was hoping it was a one-off bad review but what I found was a whole host of Secretlab customer service nightmares (at least, enough to make me think twice before buying from them). It seems that in general, their chairs are really good, but their reputation is somewhat spoiled by bad sales policies/customer service.

So I started looking elsewhere which led me to Noblechairs and noticed that the customer service from Noblechairs and Overclockers looks to be really good.

What I'm after
I've sat on PU leather seats before, and well, although they are much better than PVC as much as I want to like them, I've noticed myself getting a little hot and sticky with them after an hour or so (not much, but enough to be a distraction - I'm easily distracted with things like that). For that reason and also my concerns about the longevity of PU leather, I've decided to rule out PU. So that leaves me with leather. The good thing is that I had real leather seats in my old car and I've also sat on friends real leather sofa's and not really had any issues with them, the bad is the additional cost.

I'm 6ft exactly, medium build and would really like the lumbar support that the Hero has. So for those reasons, I'm thinking the real leather Hero is the way forward. So far so good...

Why I haven't pressed "Buy" yet?
As explained above, the only option that I think I can go for with Noblechairs is the leather Hero at £579 which is significantly more than my intended purchase of a Softweave Titan (especially at the sale price they had). Ever since the Cyber Monday week, I've been checking pretty much every day for a sale on the leather Hero and have not seen even a penny off of it. I checked pricespy history and over the black friday/cyber monday/Christmas/January sales there were price drops last year, but seemingly not this year. My question is, did I miss something? I guess I have written all this, because I'm finding £579 a touch too far... I know it might sound ridiculous, but even a small sale (say 10%) would probably have been enough encouragement for me to buy it.

So after all of that, what would you do in my situation? Would you "risk" going for the Softweave Secretlab Titan with their seemingly bad service? Or should I go for a PU Leather Hero with the danger that I'm expecting I won't get on with the PU. Or should I do something else? My budget is £400 or £500-ish at a push. I'm 6ft and the feature that I'd really like is lumbar support. This is for home (at work I have a Hermon Miller Aeron - it's great and all, but I can't afford one for the house and plus I like the look (and features) of the Hero).

Associate
I was in your situation last August, when I decided, screw it, I deserve a leather office chair and after doing significant research, I found the Hero to be the best value high grade leather office chair with multiple functions and adjustments, not even just in the gaming genre, I'm talking leather office chairs in general.

I'm also someone who is careful with spending a ton of cash so I did my research extremely thoroughly before buying it.

Many cheaper leather chairs are out there but they use leather scraps formed into a composite that is useless and rubs away after a few years like a cheap 'leather' sofa does from DFS or similar. High grade is the real deal, real sheets of quality leather.

I work from home self employed so the full price was harsh but at least I get some VAT back come taxes time. I got it at a very busy time of work for me and did multiple 60+ hour weeks on it and have worked on it full time plus gaming ever since, I've truly battle tested this chair and it's just as good as the day I got it.

I think the Secretlabs chairs look tacky by comparison, just being honest, whereas the Hero in black leather could grace any office, and I honestly think any high powered CEO would be very happy with it.

The leather is very good quality and the free included cleaning kit absolutely revitalises it to make it look even better than new. Once every three months and it'll look fantastic.

Now I didn't know this when I bought it but Chug Norris does sometimes do deals on chairs - I've seen the black leather with red thread as low as £525.

However, the black leather with black thread is so desirable that it's very rarely is on sale.

For the leather vs PU thing, just compare a good pair of leather shoes to some PU trainers, pretty much the same deal, what's more some PU chairs are advised not even to get wet by the manufacturers, good luck not spilling a drop of drink here and there when working - no problem for real leather.

OcUK Staff
It sounds like the noblechairs Black Edition is for you.

It has a hybrid material that's actually manufactured in Germany. It takes the benefits of PVC, PU and Real Leather (hard-wearing, breathable and also a softer material).

The good thing with buying through Overclockers UK is that you get their support with noblechairs which is UK based.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noblechairs-black-edition

Soldato
What you need to do is release a series of youtube videos with songs begging fiveub for a chair.

More seriously, I have the leather Hero and it is excellent. I think you just need to ave up a bit more money.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for your responses, much appreciated.

PC777 (and bazzabear), thanks for your input on the real leather chair, I've found it really helpful to the point that my heart is well and truly set on the real leather Hero, but, I'm currently trying to figure out how I can stretch to it. My problem is I'm using an old dining chair at my desk at the moment that over time has been hurting my back more and more. I'm now at the point where I really need to order something sooner rather than later.

So, I'm weighing my options. fiveub, thanks for pointing me to the Black Edition, I didn't realise that it has a new more breathable PU. That said, I'm still concerned about going for PU. So, I'll ask some questions that you may or may not be able to answer with any degree of confidence... i) Is the Black Edition PU roughly as breathable as leather? ii) What about longevity of the PU vs leather? iii) What if, as PC777 says, I drop a drink on it, if I wipe it down within a minute or so, will it be ok (from a material strength/integrity point of view)? As I say, I'm definitely concerned about going for PU to the point that If I can't stretch to the leather Hero, then I'm thinking I might have to go for the Softweave Titan (which if I drop a drink on it, it would possibly be permanently stained, but probably ok aside from that). That said, I'd far rather have the good customer service of Overclockers... why is buying a chair so difficult lol?

Associate
Had my PU noblechairs epic since november 16 (just checked), still looks brand new and I use it a lot/carted it around to a few LANs/chucked in the back of a van. Don't have any issues getting sweaty etc.

I have seen what you mean with other PU chairs peeling, so far touch wood it's been perfect.

Only thing I would say is they're quite firm, but I think the hero is slightly less from what I've read.

Associate
OP
Thanks Webzta, I must admit, I was very tempted by the Hero Black Edition, it would probably have been fantastic and all I needed. In the end though, I ended up ordering the leather one.

Thanks everyone for your input, I've really appreciated it.

Associate
Thanks Webzta, I must admit, I was very tempted by the Hero Black Edition, it would probably have been fantastic and all I needed. In the end though, I ended up ordering the leather one.

Thanks everyone for your input, I've really appreciated it.

Nice hope you enjoy it, it's an investment really, it should last ages. I was shocked upon checking that I'd had mine that long, it really does still look new and I haven't even cleaned it. Should be good for a fair few more years.

Associate
OP
Thanks. The chair arrived at 5:30pm and I'm sitting in it now. It's as comfortable as the Herman Miller that I have at work and the build quality is fantastic! I'm really enjoying it already and am very pleased with the purchase. :)

Back
Top Bottom