BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
How long is your line?

It’s short. The g.fast pod is just round the corner. However can confirm if there is an online measurement tool.

I was quoted:

Minimum guaranteed speed

110MB

Typical download speed

128.0 Mb to 147.0 Mb

Typical upload speed

26.0 Mb to 28.0 Mb

Soldato
Have you tried resetting your router

Just tried a full reset of my Asus router and it hasn't helped. I'm still not getting over 100MB, I found that my QoS settings where capping my speed with that disabled I'm still only reaching this over CAT6 on my iMac.

According to TalkTalk my line is sync'd at 160Mbps according to their systems. I disconnected my Asus router and connected up the TalkTalk router, I could only run a speedtest over wifi on my iPad but it was 110Mbps.

Could I be correct in thinking that my Asus router might be underpowered now or perhaps dislikes g.fast connections?

Soldato
Just tried a full reset of my Asus router and it hasn't helped. I'm still not getting over 100MB, I found that my QoS settings where capping my speed with that disabled I'm still only reaching this over CAT6 on my iMac.

According to TalkTalk my line is sync'd at 160Mbps according to their systems. I disconnected my Asus router and connected up the TalkTalk router, I could only run a speedtest over wifi on my iPad but it was 110Mbps.

Could I be correct in thinking that my Asus router might be underpowered now or perhaps dislikes g.fast connections?
Have you got another device to check on eg ps4 my wifes laptop shows lower speeds about 95 yet all other devices show 145 so could be that especially as wifi is better up load looks about right

Soldato
Just had my TalkTalk g.fast 150MB service installed. However I'm only getting speeds similar to my previous plusnet fibre package.

Any ideas what's going on? I'm using my Asus RT-AC66U router with the recommended third party router settings from TalkTalk. According to the Openreach engineer who did the install the speed to the g.fast modem is working correctly.

First things first, speedtest is not a definitive test, I can get wildly different results from auto to actually selecting ‘local’ servers or running my own dedicated test server. Testing via wifi is a waste of time, connect the TT router, connect physically to it using a known food cable and test multiple servers.

Soldato
First things first, speedtest is not a definitive test, I can get wildly different results from auto to actually selecting ‘local’ servers or running my own dedicated test server. Testing via wifi is a waste of time, connect the TT router, connect physically to it using a known food cable and test multiple servers.

Thanks. I actually found that it was the QoS on my router that was capping my speed with my original Speedtest Results you quoted.

The connection is now faster, however still not what I was expecting.

Soldato
Thanks. I actually found that it was the QoS on my router that was capping my speed with my original Speedtest Results you quoted.

The connection is now faster, however still not what I was expecting.

If the modem is syncing at 160Mbit, you’ll be capable of doing that less overheads via a wired connection, DLM still plays a part with g.fast, so give it a chance to settle down.

Caporegime
Have BT given up rolling 300Mb+ connections now?

my area has been stuck on only having up to 50Mbps for years now, there’s no competition on price to virgin now because they don’t offer the same speeds. The next street along on the next estate gets 300Mb on BT but not on my street.

Soldato
Got a letter with "Your best deal enclosed" and it just said "Renew by (some date in January) to pay the same price you currently do"...

Is this just common tactics or will I not be able to get a better deal after January, or even a worse deal? My contract ends in March. I have Superfast Fibre 2 and I'm paying £25.99 for it due to getting this deal when the price hikes came in. Should I hold out till late February and ask for like £23.99? What deals do other members have on here for this package? Can any other company actually beat £25.99 without using cashback deals and such?

Edit: Apparently TalkTalk has a very similar package for £21.95, £60 voucher and a free backup router. Found on uswitch

BT would only offer me Infinity 2 for £29.99.

I've said I'm off and weighing up switching to EE with £100 cashback and an extra 5gb data on my phone plan.

Just waiting for a call from retentions......

Associate
So I originally ordered the 150mb broadband from the website for £40.

Few days later I managed to get 150mb, tv with bt sport for £42.99.

Goodbye virgin.

Soldato

Sorted my problem. I noticed over the weekend that the WAN port on my router was only sync'd at 100MB.
I had a closer look at the cable and noticed it was an old bit of CAT5, replaced the cable with a new bit of CAT6 and the WAN port instantly sync'd at 1Gbps.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and help.

Soldato
My address is showing ‘FTTP coming soon’ on Openreach.com, don’t think these are Fibre?

Update: my area (St Albans) has been showing as FTTP ‘coming soon’ since July 2019. I’ve just checked roadworks.com and there are now loads of BT roadworks planned in my area for “locating and clearing duct blockages” and “ROAD CLOSURE TO ALLOW OVERHEAD CABLING WORK AND TREE CUTTING”

seems to suggest they’re planning to start running fibre!

Back
Top Bottom