TVs in the corner

Soldato
Every sales photo of a big screen (50" +) TV shows it on a flat wall, surrounded by the perfect configuration of sofas in a flipping massive open room.

Is it just me, or this configuration pretty impractical for most UK sized living rooms?

Every house I have owned or lived in, and all of my family and friends houses that I can think of, have the TV in a corner.

What ideas do people have to make this work? A 60" TV is over 1.5m wide. Thats a lot of dead space behind if you have to put it in a corner.

Soldato
I don't think any of my family have a TV in the corner any more, aside from my Nan who has a 28" LCD in the corner of a very small room!

A 50"+ TV in the corner sounds silly to me unless the room gives you no choice but to do that.

Soldato
I don't think any of my family have a TV in the corner any more, aside from my Nan who has a 28" LCD in the corner of a very small room!

A 50"+ TV in the corner sounds silly to me unless the room gives you no choice but to do that.
Yup, large TVs are going to create a relatively large amount of dead space behind them. Not like in years gone by when TVs were much smaller and nearly fit snugly in a corner.

Soldato
OP

Unless you've either removed fireplaces completely (a real shame) or have the TV 6 feet up in the air over the fireplace (stupid) then I don't see how people avoid corners to be honest.

A typical living room will have a fireplace on one wall, a window on another wall, an interior door and perhaps a radiator on the third wall and you need the fourth wall to put your sofa up against. How do you avoid the corner?

And even if you have removed a fireplace, unless you only have one sofa then you'd always have one sofa perpendicular to the TV and suffering from poor viewing angle.

Example 2 sofa + fireplace layout.

FuAcbtZ.png

If you put the tv in the bottom right corner, both sofas have a good viewing angle. If you put it on flat bottom wall, left hand side sofa has poor viewing angle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have this problem atm, my house is a Victorian terrace, the back sitting room has the entrance on the left , the chimney wall opposite has 2 alcoves around 4ft wide each, the left hand wall has a radiator and the right hand wall has a large window next to the alcove. My options are a tv in the corner (which I dislike), tv on Cheney breast above multifuel stove (probably not a great idea and again something I dislike) or mount it on the same wall as the entrance , this would look good but leaves a problem then of where to put furniture

the room is currently stripped bare and needs some chased parts replastered so adding a tv point and sockets is no biggie , it’s just where to put everything else

Soldato
OP
Mostly being pedantic but also pointing it out in case you're measuring up for a new TV: 60 inches doesn't mean 60 inches wide, it means 60 inches diagonally corner to corner. So a 60 inch TV is actually nearer 1.3m wide.

Fair point, thanks.

Mines on the short sided wall of a rectangle, fireplace on long side. No way would I have tv in the corner or above fireplace.

Where are your windows, doors, rads, other furniture?

If you have sofa opposite fireplace, you'll be end on to TV. If you have sofa opposite TV, you'll be end on to fireplace. You can't win.

Magazine living rooms hardly ever show TV in them. https://www.google.com/search?q=per...ECA4QAw&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=Y6OImVkk7epe9M

Soldato
Windows on short side, behind TV and on back wall. Very thick curtains.

Fireplace on the right side half way between speakers and sofa. Rads on the left side opposite fireplace, second one half way between back wall and sofa.

When I was looking for a house having home cinema in the lounge was one priority, so if there was a fireplace where TV was to go, wouldn't have bought the house.

Pretty much perfect room. Also not a square which is bad for room acoustics. Quite large and not open to other rooms (has door to kitchen and landing)

Soldato
OP
I am going to have a similar dilemma when(if) we exchange on our new home.

Where to put 55" tv in the living room?

I have a very similar room to this, be interested to see how you do it. Do you put TV in bay window, or sofa there? Then tv can only really go on opposite wall to bay window. If you put TV in bay, you can have sofa's on both walls but the TV will restrict your curtain options.

Soldato
I have my 65incher (matron!) In the corner

pLS1PTTl.jpg

Jt6go0Dl.jpg

Biggest problem I had (due to the legs being on the right and left rather than central stand) was finding a cabinet wide enough to accommodate it.

Ended up putting it on a wall mounted bracket, removing the legs and positioning it just above the cabinet to look like it was on (or just floating above) the cabinet despite being wall mounted

Soldato
I am going to have a similar dilemma when(if) we exchange on our new home.

Where to put 55" tv in the living room?

Personally I'd mount it above the fireplace. Would be a shame to block out the light/view from the bay window.

We've got ours above the fireplace as it maximises the available space in our living room. Thankfully our living room isn't small that we'd have to look upwards in order to view the TV. Would rather do that than waste the space in the corner.

Permabanned
I have my 65incher (matron!) In the corner

pLS1PTTl.jpg

Jt6go0Dl.jpg

Biggest problem I had (due to the legs being on the right and left rather than central stand) was finding a cabinet wide enough to accommodate it.

Ended up putting it on a wall mounted bracket, removing the legs and positioning it just above the cabinet to look like it was on (or just floating above) the cabinet despite being wall mounted

I do not ideally like those type of legs for same reason you mentioned but some can slide in and out to be more on the middle.

Associate
Same here, absolute PITA for the TV so I’ve just started the process of removing the chimney breast. Should hopefully be down by the end of the week.

Also had a nuisance door in the living room which opened into the bay window. We’ve remedied that by converting it to a pocket door.

Soldato
Personally I'd mount it above the fireplace. Would be a shame to block out the light/view from the bay window.

We've got ours above the fireplace as it maximises the available space in our living room. Thankfully our living room isn't small that we'd have to look upwards in order to view the TV. Would rather do that than waste the space in the corner.

Yes, with a 4yr old and an incoming newborn in May the TV will be best suited above the fireplace.

Back
Top Bottom