Sale of petrol and diesel cars to be banned by 2040

Soldato
I'm currently running the latest Gen4 Prius which is leagues ahead of previous versions so lets put a few myths to bed.

Most revues will say the Prius is good round town but no good on a motorway- WRONG- yes it can drive crawling through a towns traffic in electric mode but the battery level will drop because to keep it charged you need to be driving it with a good variation in road levels, a good downhill run will rapidly charge as does regenerative braking. On level roads it will run for miles on battery alone. There is no clutch, when you lift your foot off the accelerator the valves open so there is no engine drag and the car will coast along easily but still charges from the small generator, the engine will stay off unless it needs to bring it up to temperature occasionally.
Motorways are more often than not quite level which suits the Prius, I can drive at around 60 -65 mpg and easily get 80mpg+ on my previous Gen2 I could get nowhere near that.

Soldato
I'm currently running the latest Gen4 Prius which is leagues ahead of previous versions so lets put a few myths to bed.

Most revues will say the Prius is good round town but no good on a motorway- WRONG- yes it can drive crawling through a towns traffic in electric mode but the battery level will drop because to keep it charged you need to be driving it with a good variation in road levels, a good downhill run will rapidly charge as does regenerative braking. On level roads it will run for miles on battery alone. There is no clutch, when you lift your foot off the accelerator the valves open so there is no engine drag and the car will coast along easily but still charges from the small generator, the engine will stay off unless it needs to bring it up to temperature occasionally.
Motorways are more often than not quite level which suits the Prius, I can drive at around 60 -65 mpg and easily get 80mpg+ on my previous Gen2 I could get nowhere near that.

You see that's the bit that i don't get, doing 60-65 mph i can get 75ish mpg from my 2 litre diesel so you only get 5 or so more from a hybrid which is smaller and probably less power. I'm sure round town it must be loads better. That's why people say its better round town compared to the motorway.

Soldato
You see that's the bit that i don't get, doing 60-65 mph i can get 75ish mpg from my 2 litre diesel so you only get 5 or so more from a hybrid which is smaller and probably less power. I'm sure round town it must be loads better. That's why people say its better round town compared to the motorway.

My son drives a 2 litre Vauxhall insignia Diesel and barely gets 50mpg so the comparison against diesel is extremely variable. As for less power in a Prius I think you would be surprised with the acceleration from a standing start, it's 1.8 litre with a 3 phase electric acceleration boost and no gears to change either manual or auto so go figure.

When you say 'people' are they actual owners ? I'm an owner /driver and telling you the truth.
The biggest problem is professional revues that love to knock the Prius and give misleading or totally wrong info, a pro test drive that only managed 52mpg ? really? it's impossible to get that low mpg unless the entire test was on a circuit doing 100+mpg. Another one I've read several times is ' the transmission is a steel belt running over coned pullies' LOL it's nothing of the kind it's a sun & planet sytem.

Soldato

Even the Fiesta ST I had could manage about 55mpg on a cruise. I'd rather lose a bit of mpg to have a car with some performance tbh. The Prius might be "economical", but it is a shed. 0-62 in almost 12 seconds :|

Last edited:
Soldato
Even the Fiesta ST I had could manage about 55mpg on a cruise. I'd rather lose a bit of mpg to have a car with some performance tbh. The Prius might be "economical", but it is a shed. 0-62 in almost 12 seconds :|

Well is that not typical of lots of your typical family cars such as Mondeo etc? however the Prius is listed as 11.3 actually but in real world testing it will do 0-60 9.6 seconds

Soldato

1.6 diesel here I get 57-67mpg at 70mph (and 70+mpg if the road is flat/down hill). My car has the aerodynamics of a brick. Where hybrid probably gives it an edge is getting up hills then regenerating on the other side.

Soldato
How does real world testing make it nearly 2 seconds faster?

Maybe they test it on a rolling road but the Prius 0-60 it's been tested by enthusiasts and results posted on Toyota forums and it's to easy beat the listed specs, my previous Gen 2 Prius also had listed 0-60 as 10.2 seconds but my son and his mate averaged 8.8 on a disused airfield runway. The currrent Prius is listed in the top 10 of the worlds most aerodynamic production cars with a C02 of just 70

Soldato
The currrent Prius is listed in the top 10 of the worlds most aerodynamic production cars with a C02 of just 70
What? even with those hideous 1980's neon bar signs for tail lights? They make me lol everytime I am behind a new Prius with its rear lights on they look ridiculous.

Associate
Bit of a bump, but I couldn't find anything more recent...

As you're probably aware this ban has been brought forward to 2035.

Can we realistically create an infrastructure to support this in 15 years? Surely we are going to need to invest in ways to generate the additional power needed?

Also what are the implications for HGVs and commercial vehicles that travel huge distances? I imagine the bigger the vehicle the bigger the batteries and the longer the range, but are we really going to get there in just 15 years?

What about motorhomes, motorbikes and other leisure vehicles?

Yes I haven't don't much research, I'm being a bit lazy! :p:p

Back
Top Bottom