Sale of petrol and diesel cars to be banned by 2040

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
You found it before I got a chance to respond. :)

I doubt that a lot of people who post here will bother to read it, or indeed have knowledge to understand it given some of the utter tripe that gets posted about the transition from here on out.
Its interesting to me due to the position of one of my parents, BEV penetration is a bit of a hot topic when i visit them. :)

Soldato
Interesting article although a little out dated, EV sales worldwide did indeed break 2 million in 2018, and also 2019 so it's certainly on track. Cost of ownership expected to lower for EV's than an ICE vehicle from next year with government incentives or 2024 without.

Soldato
Interesting article although a little out dated, EV sales worldwide did indeed break 2 million in 2018, and also 2019 so it's certainly on track. Cost of ownership expected to lower for EV's than an ICE vehicle from next year with government incentives or 2024 without.

It's only out of date with regards to the precise numbers sold, the rest of it is more than relevant from a business perspective. The main take away, for me anyhow, is just how many hoops or hurdles incumbent OEM's face to stay successful/relevant.

I passed a copy of it to a guy in my local Mercedes showroom after having quite and in-depth discussion with regards to where they are as a brand presently. I told him they should be embarrassed by their lack of innovation, and his job is one of those that will vanish if they have no cars to sell that anyone wants anymore. They already lost my business, and it's like dominoes once it starts.

Soldato
Completely agree, and with the recent Tesla USA discussion other than the speakers being some what hostile, many of the large OEM's have left things far too late. Tesla without sounding like a fanboi are so far ahead of everyone else its crazy, they have literally set themselves up as the Apple of cars. For other companies to catch up they would need to invest vast sums of money into research and development which would likely result in significant losses until they can offer tangible products, I just don't see that happening.

You have companies like VW that are essentially on damage control following the diesel gate scandal, while the ID range look good, but is it too little too late, ID3 apparently available later on this year. In the mean time you have multiple other manufacturs (small and large) releasing vehicles that are technologically superior.

Back
Top Bottom