The Coronavirus food recommendations thread

Caporegime
You may laugh but the Coronavirus looks like it might be reaching pandemic levels soon, so I think it would be prudent to stock up on at least 2 weeks of food in case I have to self-isolate with my wife.

However - Other than baked beans, soup and tinned tomatoes I don't really buy any canned food so does anybody have any recommendations for decent/nutritious foods? And any non-perishable food recommendations? (Rice and Pasta seem the obvious ones)

I was looking at the shelves last night in Sainsbury and I didn't realise the sheer range of things you can buy in cans (Burgers!)

Canned Burgers sound rank, so I want to buy stuff that is actually decent that I will eat eventually, whether there is pandemic or not.

Thoughts?

Soldato
I have a load of bread flour, so might be worth getting some of that and a bread tin. I have a breadmaker though which I use fairly regularly. Long life milk (I bought oat milk and evaporated milk), tinned fish. FRAY BENTOS!

Soldato
Anything long life, which unfortunately rules out a lot of healthy stuff like vegetables.
Tinned tuna, bread flour, oats, long life milk frozen foods etc

I'd also try to stick to things that you might actually like eating, otherwise things will get miserable very quickly.

Man of Honour
I’m assuming it won’t get so bad that power becomes an issue. Batch cooked some curries and soups and froze them all. Should have at least 2-3 weeks of dinner.

Also ordered a few extra bags of huel this month so I have enough calories to last a couple months.

UHT milk, long life almond milk, canned tomatoes, kidney beans, baked beans, frozen veg, frozen herbs, weetabix, 10kg rice, few bags of pasta and quinoa, canned fish, oats, honey, 5l of cooking oil, 3 5l bottles of water, all ordered for tomorrow. Worst case scenario I barely have to go shopping next month.

Soldato
We have:

Bread flour
Yeast
Powdered milk
UHT milk
Beans
Spaghetti
Plum toms
Beetroot
Pickled onions
Sun dried toms
Pesto
White sauce
Bolognese sauce
Pasta
Rice
Noodles
Smash
Oats + cereals
Peanut butter
Jams
Tea
Coffee
Stock cubes
Chutneys
Spice
Salt
Sugar
Butter
Mustard
Lemon juice
Cooking oils
Spaghetti
Tinned Spaghetti
Raviolli
Tomato puree
A plethora of soups
A mixture of tinned fish
Cordial
Tinned pulses/grains
Chips/crisps
Custard
Rice pudding
Chocolate

The garden has potatoes, carrots, strawberries and loads of herbs.

Plus we have stocked an array of household detergents and cleaning products and most importantly... LOO ROLL!

So yeah, anything long life :)

Soldato
Anything long life, which unfortunately rules out a lot of healthy stuff like vegetables.
Tinned tuna, bread flour, oats, long life milk frozen foods etc

I'd also try to stick to things that you might actually like eating, otherwise things will get miserable very quickly.
Tinned veg is pretty good to be fair.

Associate
- A good few litres of beef and bean chili in the freezer
- 20+ portions of chicken thigh teriyaki in the freezer too
- Couple bags of rice
- Cans of tuna
- Few bags of oats
- Pasta

Caporegime
I mean I've probably got a couple of months of stuff as standard anyway - though perhaps not all ideal... but generally if I counted random cans in my cupboard, bags of rice, pasta, a freezer full of stuff... things that would annoy me quick though like running out of milk I wouldn't have accounted for a couple of months supply of. Likewise bog roll, veg etc..

I've bought a load of tins of mixed veg, bags of rice and pasta and tins of tuna, sardines and some curry powder etc.. (as this could get bland quite easily otherwise) also stocked up on bog roll, UHT milk, coffee whitener a few big oversized cereal boxes and have a year's worth of multi vitamins.

Ultimately I've got more than enough rice and pasta to last for months and months... and could spread out the tuna/other canned fish. Veg is probs enough for a few months too if spread out - though would be relying on multi vitamins too I guess.

If it comes down to it I've also got a load of meal replacement stuff in bags/tins too - like a couple of big bags of Huel and some left over complan and modulin - those are all complete nutrition things.

Soldato
Depends what meals you usually eat.

But, boradly, stock up the freezer with meat, veg, and perhaps some potato products. Freeze a bottle of milk or two and some bread.
Stock up on pasta, rice.

It's really just fruit that's a difficulty. And eggs. But eggs last a couple of weeks, so just make sure to keep a decent amount in.

Back
Top Bottom