F1 2020 Predictions thread

Caporegime
I guess it's time for our annual predictions thread.

My predicted top 3 drivers:

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Max Verstappen
3. Valtteri Bottas

Top 3 constructors:

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Ferrari

Other predictions:

1. Gasly impresses at AlphaTori, leading to...
2. Red Bull swap Albon and Gasly around again midseason. It doesn't help.
3. Max punches another driver and actually gets penalised this time.
4. Vettel leaves at the end of the season after getting spanked by Leclerc.
5. Ocon beats Ricciardo.

Soldato
OP I'd agree with your drivers and constructors, that would certainly seem to be the order following testing.

I don't think Red Bull will swap drivers again though, Albon did well at Red Bull. RBR has previously had the Alpha Tauri drivers in the team so they're somewhat of a known quantity. So I think RBR will keep Albon as long as he generally continues to finish in the top 6 (depending on the top 3's true performance).

I could see Vettel leaving at the end of year but I'd lean to not, I think he will do one year in the new regs and if Ferrari still aren't winning he will leave.

Can I predict the Haas drivers will crash in to each other? Though that may be more a certainty than a prediction on probability.

I'll also predict Williams to score some genuine points this season (rather than being on luck of a manic race like Germany). I accept this may be based solely on hopes and dreams but I'd love to see it.

Caporegime
OP
I don't think Red Bull will swap drivers again though, Albon did well at Red Bull. RBR has previously had the Alpha Tauri drivers in the team so they're somewhat of a known quantity. So I think RBR will keep Albon as long as he generally continues to finish in the top 6 (depending on the top 3's true performance).

Did Albon do well? Perhaps compared to Gasly, but he was still trotting round well behind the Mercedes and Ferraris whilst his teammate was competing for the front. Only at a chaotic Brazil did he come close to a podium until a tangle with Hamilton wrecked it for him, but there Gasly did even better. I dunno, I think Red Bull lack patience, and given how well Gasly performed after he got back to Toro Rosso I think he'll impress so much that they'll put him back in the top seat.

The driver who should be in that seat is Kvyat, IMO, but there seems no chance of that and he seems to let his head drop every time he gets badly treated by Red Bull which will count against him.

Can I predict the Haas drivers will crash in to each other? Though that may be more a certainty than a prediction on probability.

That's like predicting that the cars will have tyres. Come on!

I'll also predict Williams to score some genuine points this season (rather than being on luck of a manic race like Germany). I accept this may be based solely on hopes and dreams but I'd love to see it.

I hope you're right. They seemed closer in testing so *fingers crossed*.

Soldato
My predicted top 3 drivers:

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Charles Leclerc
3. Max Verstappen

Top 3 constructors:

1. Mercedes
2. Ferrari
3. Red Bull

Other predictions:

1. Vettel to announce retirement at Monza
2. McLaren will have a dismal year, fighting for top 10s at best and finish 7th in championship overall
3. Kimi will retire at end of the season and be replaced with Mick Schumacher
4. Grosjean will get a race ban
5. Stroll will get on the podium

Soldato
Did Albon do well? Perhaps compared to Gasly, but he was still trotting round well behind the Mercedes and Ferraris whilst his teammate was competing for the front. Only at a chaotic Brazil did he come close to a podium until a tangle with Hamilton wrecked it for him, but there Gasly did even better. I dunno, I think Red Bull lack patience, and given how well Gasly performed after he got back to Toro Rosso I think he'll impress so much that they'll put him back in the top seat.

The driver who should be in that seat is Kvyat, IMO, but there seems no chance of that and he seems to let his head drop every time he gets badly treated by Red Bull which will count against him.

Ok, maybe not well but wel enough. RBR are obviously focussing the team around Verstappen so they need a solid number 2 driver. With the teams as they are that means at minimum finishing top 6 which Gasly failed to do. Albon didn't set the field alight but at least he did that and if he continues to do so I can see RBR keeping him for the year. If Gasly performs well then maybe they will switch for 2021 but I don't see them doing it mid-season again unless Albon is dire.

Caporegime
OP
Ok, maybe not well but wel enough. RBR are obviously focussing the team around Verstappen so they need a solid number 2 driver. With the teams as they are that means at minimum finishing top 6 which Gasly failed to do. Albon didn't set the field alight but at least he did that and if he continues to do so I can see RBR keeping him for the year. If Gasly performs well then maybe they will switch for 2021 but I don't see them doing it mid-season again unless Albon is dire.

Yeah, Max is their boy alright. It probably depends how close the fight with Ferrari is, I think. If they don't need the extra points they may be content to have Albon reliably picking up 6th rather than challenging for podiums, but if he's costing them second place in the constructors then I think their patience will wear thin quickly.

Soldato
i predict that most of the season is cancelled or postponed due to corona :(

I'd say at least 50% of the races will either be cancelled completely, or postponed.

It may well end up being a season over 2 full years. If they choose to run it as is, the smaller teams may end up with no funding otherwise.

Not sure how much say the the teams will have in it, if any for some of the locations.

Soldato
My predicted top 4 drivers:

1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Max Verstappen
3. Valtteri Bottas
4. Carlos Sainz

Top 4 constructors:

1. Mercedes
2. Red Bull
3. Mclaren
4. Ferrari(switch focus to 2021 early)

Soldato
Interesting choice there Hominid, putting Ferrari that far down and picking McLaren to be the team to beat them over TRacing point. Though Sainz did have a good 2019 season so I think he will do well again this year.

Back
Top Bottom