Faulty Motherboard Twice?

Associate
Anybody able to help me? So I'm building a new PC. I got the B450 Tomahawk Max with the Radeon 3700x CPU. I have the essentials plugged in. ATX, CPU Pwr etc and have double checked that the Power switch is plugged in the right way, but I just can not get any power at all. Nothing lights up and I have a new Power supply, which I have tested, so it's not that. The strange thing is that initially I did get PWR. Things were lighting up but then nothing and have no idea why. I thought that the motherboard had failed, so I got a replacement, but that doesn't work either. I have no idea what could be preventing me from getting any power at all. No signs of light at all. Is it possible the motherboard failed twice? I have no idea what to try next.

Soldato
what happens if no cpu is installed? do you get the same symptoms or do things happen or light up?

just plug in the psu and mobo only and see what happens, there should be a red led indicating no cpu installed, if this happens power down and install the cpu, again power up and if noting happens it could be a bad cpu

Associate
OP
Have you tried shorting the power header with screwdriver to make sure switch is not faulty?
yeah switch isn't faulty. I got a new case and same thing.
Have you tried just placing the motherboard on the box it came in and boot from there, rather than installed inside your case?
Yeah I tried that. Still nothing.
what happens if no cpu is installed? do you get the same symptoms or do things happen or light up?
just plug in the psu and mobo only and see what happens, there should be a red led indicating no cpu installed, if this happens power down and install the cpu, again power up and if noting happens it could be a bad cpu
I'll try that but say it is a bad CPU, shouldn't the case fans still spin and things light up, like the RAM Led's?

Soldato
hmm i had a similar issue with a freinds board, the only other option is attempt a usb bios flash, not familiar with msi stuff but it should be there in the manual on how to do it, or look up on youtube if stuck

failing the above i'd say the board is a dud again, you could try a third but if it was me i'd opt for a dffrent model perhaps x570, gigabyte are pretty good value, i'm an asus man personally, yes expensve but they always work in my experience

Soldato
Have you tested the PSU for voltage via multimeter? Or a spare PSU? If this isn't within spec it won't boot properly or at all.

Have you tried powering the board just by itself. No other external devices?

Chances are its the PSU as even with no components (cpu/memory/gpu etc) the board will still turn on all be it throw a wobbler.

Associate
OP
He didn't mention second psu just said it was new and he'd tested it but didn't say how he'd tested it
Sorry I should have said. I bought an 850w PSU. I plugged the ATX into my current PC to test and there was power, so presuming the PSU is fine. I am thinking trying a third mobo, but a different model.

Soldato
need to get a cheap X570 then Gigabytes Gaming X - can be had for same price as Gigabyte UD - slightly behind theiir Aorus Elite board but enough to handle 16 cores if needs be

Back
Top Bottom