Elite Dangerous Or Star Citizen

Associate
Hey all,

I bought both these games a long time ago and never really got into them, I think mainly due to the control schemes and other games to play, but I just bought myself a Thrustmaster Stick and Throttle combo to hopefully put some extra fun into it.

The main Question to be then .. Which one to play

What are the communities like, how easy is it to get started. What's the perks and let down of each one, what to be wary of.

Basically which do you prefer and why.

PS, was a great fan of Eve Online, but that's dead in the water I believe :(

Cheers

Associate
I've put more than 2000 hours into Elite Dangerous and had a lot of fun with it, but it's a game that really requires a strong community and friends to play with. Sadly the game has had a lot of bad/broken updates and a massive lack of new content which has driven a lot of players away. There are new Fleet Carriers due to be released but really they are a small plug for a big whole.

Never played Star Citizen, but I have doubts it will ever be a finished game so I won't be wasting my time getting into it.

Associate
OP
At least with Eve online when I started playing there was enough fuel for the fire, the concurrent player base was at 60k, it's now at 20k, the game is still good but now it's just a lot of people with big ships looking for a fight.

I just want something with a lively community and good entertainment.

Soldato
Given star citizen isn't out yet, and maybe never be at the rate they're going, Elite Dangerous is the best space sim option just now!

Associate
If you find a group you like then the Elite community is really nice, it is due to get a massive upgrade at the end of the year, but I have my doubts it will be delivered anywhere near on time.

Never played Eve, but I figure anything that has been running that long is unlikely to be friendly to new players.

Man of Honour
At least with Eve online when I started playing there was enough fuel for the fire, the concurrent player base was at 60k, it's now at 20k, the game is still good but now it's just a lot of people with big ships looking for a fight.

I just want something with a lively community and good entertainment.

You can still find almost any thing you want in Eve - but it is a game where you get out what you put in so to speak and some stuff takes quite a bit of effort to find and take part in.

The development approach has kind of ruined a lot of what made Eve so great though.

Never played Eve, but I figure anything that has been running that long is unlikely to be friendly to new players.

There is a broad spread of things in Eve and plenty of areas a new player can get into - but some areas are heavily dominated by long standing players - but such is the scope of Eve it isn't beyond the impossible to challenge even the most long standing entities if you are prepared to put the work in - most aren't.

Soldato
Well, you're welcome to come and see how you like Star Citizen with my lot if you want.
We have events 3 times a week and they're a good bunch that are happy to show people the ropes.

We're slightly quiet at the moment, since there's a major update imminent, and people tend to drop off in the leadup to a new patch. Me included.

Anyway: https://discord.gg/V7U2zh

Either way, play both and make your own mind up :)

Soldato
it is due to get a massive upgrade at the end of the year, but I have my doubts it will be delivered anywhere near on time.

The slow pace of development is biggest the problem with elite dangerous. In the 5 years since release whilst they've been continuously tweaking parts of the game we've point really had the one major planetary landing expansion. Even now you still can't land on every planet.

As much as I love the game they desperately need to ramp up the frequency of content releases.

Soldato
Elite is a released game, while it has its issues it does have content and the majority of people who bemoan a lack of it more often than not have hundreds if not thousands of hours in it. Not even sure that Star Citizen has any persistence in it as yet? I've not looked for a while so it may have been added, sure somebody will inform :)

I'll echo what others have said, play both and decide.

Permabanned
Well, you're welcome to come and see how you like Star Citizen with my lot if you want.
We have events 3 times a week and they're a good bunch that are happy to show people the ropes.

What does the entry level (£35 ?) get you ?
I have been watching many videos of SC, some look amazing - the world where it's super cold and blizzards raging, looks amazing. Little things like where a player is stood inside a building and the snow hits the windows and melts, to someone out in the blizzard and the low visibility, and ice building up on the visor. These little attention to detail things look amazing. Also love that tech world, that looks great from space, as well as on the planet.

Associate
OP

We're slightly quiet at the moment, since there's a major update imminent, and people tend to drop off in the leadup to a new patch. Me included.

Anyway: https://discord.gg/V7U2zh

Either way, play both and make your own mind up :)

Hey thanks for the invite, I need to make some room on the hard drive first, I will take you up on that offer of Star Citizen, but it may be a week or 2, and please don't be put off by that, i'm in it for the long haul.

As for the Starter edition, that's what I bought, I think it gives you a ship or 2 to get used to, also not sure about how in game currency is earnt, missions or somewhat.

Soldato
What does the entry level (£35 ?) get you ?
I have been watching many videos of SC, some look amazing - the world where it's super cold and blizzards raging, looks amazing. Little things like where a player is stood inside a building and the snow hits the windows and melts, to someone out in the blizzard and the low visibility, and ice building up on the visor. These little attention to detail things look amazing. Also love that tech world, that looks great from space, as well as on the planet.

Yeah, it can be very pretty. Soon to be prettier with some of those things you mentioned.

£43 is your entry point afaik, with a choice of two packages that each get you the game and a ship.
This is enough to get you going, see the verse and maybe make a little cash etc. If you like it, you'll then start lusting after new ships and RIP wallet...
Good news is you can upgrade to better ships by simply paying the difference in value. Bad news is this isn't cheap after a step or so.

Play with a group and you'll get to try plenty of ships, as well as help crew them for missions.

Here's a referal code if you want it STAR-QTWK-DL2N
Should get you 5k starting cash, which you'll soon find isn't much, but should buy you some armour and a gun.

Hey thanks for the invite, I need to make some room on the hard drive first, I will take you up on that offer of Star Citizen, but it may be a week or 2, and please don't be put off by that, i'm in it for the long haul.

As for the Starter edition, that's what I bought, I think it gives you a ship or 2 to get used to, also not sure about how in game currency is earnt, missions or somewhat.

Sure, just give me a shout when you're ready. I'll give you another link, as that'll expire by then.
Btw, I hope you meant SSD, as this won't run well on a HDD at all :)

In game currency is earned by doing various kinds of missions + package delivery, trading items from planet to planet and mining rocks on planets or in space.
You'll spend it on FPS weapons/armour/clothes, ships, ship weapons/upgrades/repairs/fuel and soon, food.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Yeah, it can be very pretty. Soon to be prettier with some of those things you mentioned.

£43 is your entry point afaik, with a choice of two packages that each get you the game and a ship.
This is enough to get you going, see the verse and maybe make a little cash etc. If you like it, you'll then start lusting after new ships and RIP wallet...
Good news is you can upgrade to better ships by simply paying the difference in value. Bad news is this isn't cheap after a step or so.

Play with a group and you'll get to try plenty of ships, as well as help crew them for missions.

Here's a referal code if you want it STAR-QTWK-DL2N
Should get you 5k starting cash, which you'll soon find isn't much, but should buy you some armour and a gun.

Thanks. Appreciate it.

Soldato
Elite, despite its issues is actually a released game. And if you can get into it, has a lot to offer. I have probably spent several hundred hours playing it. It's been a while since I picked it up though.

I have strong doubts star citizen will ever be a finished product.

Last edited:
Associate
I've put more than 2000 hours into Elite Dangerous and had a lot of fun with it, but it's a game that really requires a strong community and friends to play with. Sadly the game has had a lot of bad/broken updates and a massive lack of new content which has driven a lot of players away. There are new Fleet Carriers due to be released but really they are a small plug for a big whole.

Never played Star Citizen, but I have doubts it will ever be a finished game so I won't be wasting my time getting into it.
I've got a 250 hours myself. And just came back for that 5 billion credit fleet carrier. But I end up treating the game like euro truck simulator and causally fly around (when I'm not mining borann A2 of course). Great fun all around with the different available mechanics

Soldato
Hey all,

I bought both these games a long time ago and never really got into them, I think mainly due to the control schemes and other games to play, but I just bought myself a Thrustmaster Stick and Throttle combo to hopefully put some extra fun into it.

The main Question to be then .. Which one to play

What are the communities like, how easy is it to get started. What's the perks and let down of each one, what to be wary of.

Basically which do you prefer and why.

PS, was a great fan of Eve Online, but that's dead in the water I believe :(

Cheers

If you want something offline that is more than just flying around on a fully trully simulated universe, get X4 Foundations and Split DLC.

Back
Top Bottom