Nvme or just regular m.2 ???

Associate
Hi all, almost finished my first build and I’m just wondering if I should get an NVME ssd as I can a 256gb at a good price. But my mobo is a micro atx and has only 1 pci-e 3.0 x16. So does this mean my gpu will run at x8 ? also if I use just a sata m.2 will my gpu still run at x8? Not sure if this is relevant but it my mobo has 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3

asrock b450m r4.0
rx580 8gb
Ryzen 5 2600x

thanks

Soldato
M.2 slot has its own wiring from CPU.
But no sense to waste only M.2 slot for SATA drive which isn't any faster than one in end of cable.
(where it's lot easier to keep for future uses)
Though if choise is between paying lot more per GB for NVMe than SATA, just forget M.2.
Difference making thing is any SSD vs HDD:

Associate
OP
M.2 slot has its own wiring from CPU.
But no sense to waste only M.2 slot for SATA drive which isn't any faster than one in end of cable.
(where it's lot easier to keep for future uses)
Though if choise is between paying lot more per GB for NVMe than SATA, just forget M.2.
Difference making thing is any SSD vs HDD:

Yeah I’ve already seen that video thanks. What I’m asking is if an m.2 ssd will affect gpu performance as I only have 1 pci x16 slot?

thanks

Soldato
Running a nvme may disable 2 Sata ports but then you will still have 4 and the Gpu will still run at x16.

Since you only can use 1 m.2 nvme on that board then getting a 1tb something like a sabrent rocket would be more worth worthwhile or not bothering at all and just going with a 1tb 2.5 Sata drive.

Associate
If you're going to use the M.2 put an NVME in it, otherwise it's not really any faster than normal SATA. If you's going for a SATA SSD don't waste the X16 slot.

Soldato
Go nvme or go home. :)
Though you won't notice much difference
M2 x4 pci~e vs 2.5ssd anyway
Access times on both are just so fast
It's when the M2 has something else as fast as it is to copy to/from that they slaughter 2.5 ssds

Caporegime
I tend to think why wouldn't you choose M.2 NVME over SSD, when prices for 1TB are broadly the same now.

The drives are smaller and therefore it helps keep your case tidier with no SATA / power cables, and they're faster in case it ever matters.

It would only be if using the M.2 slot affected performance in another more important area of the system.

Associate
if your going nvme route make sure you get an nvme with onboard dram cache as dramless sucks once you get to a certain capacity (usually 50% sometimes less) the write speed drops lower than an ssd.

Associate
unless the manufacturer lists it as dramless not really. a quick google search will tell you as others likely have the drive and have asked the same question but that's not a guarantee

Associate
OP
Sorry I forgot to mention it’s the Ultra M.2 drive apparently it’s different to a normal m.2 slot?

This m.2 stuff is a bit confusing for a newbie.

I just want to know what would work best for my mobo and take advantage of it.

Soldato
if your going nvme route make sure you get an nvme with onboard dram cache as dramless sucks once you get to a certain capacity (usually 50% sometimes less) the write speed drops lower than an ssd.
It's QLC Flash which makes write speed crash below even HDDs in sequential drive fuller filling writes, not lack of DRAM.
(which is never big enough to buffer more than very small part of drive's capacity)

Samsung 860 QVO is one of the QLC Flash drives.
In NVMes Intel 660p is QLC drive along with Crucial P1.
Also Sabrent Rocket Q is QLC and hence no doubt suffers from that feature of QLC.

TLC drives maintain good proper SSD level write speeds just fine without any buffers.
Where lack of buffer would likely show is high IOPS mixed read/write situations.
As ion something not relevant for almost all home users.

That's interesting
And 100% erroneous... ^

Back
Top Bottom