Japanes Knotweed

Permabanned
The people who think Japanese knotweed is some sort of unstoppable zombie plant also probably think that the Japanese katana is a mythical and magical sword that can slice through plate armour and cut people in two with an effortless swing!

Permabanned
Had a conversation with the next door neighbour last night who informed me he potentially has JNW growing in his garden :eek:.
He told me that he has a management plan in place if it is indeed determined to be JNW (House is owned by housing association).

I don’t want to be to alarmist or have it cause any issues but obviously I need to make sure my back is covered. What I should I do? Is their any legal avenues I can possible explore, again just to cover my back. I’m going to ask him if he had informed the previous homeowner, if he has then obviously it’s an offence not to declare that to me, the purchaser, but I imagine it would be hard to prove if they were to deny any knowledge.

Any advice would be welcome.

Associate
Had a conversation with the next door neighbour last night who informed me he potentially has JNW growing in his garden :eek:.
He told me that he has a management plan in place if it is indeed determined to be JNW (House is owned by housing association).

I don’t want to be to alarmist or have it cause any issues but obviously I need to make sure my back is covered. What I should I do? Is their any legal avenues I can possible explore, again just to cover my back. I’m going to ask him if he had informed the previous homeowner, if he has then obviously it’s an offence not to declare that to me, the purchaser, but I imagine it would be hard to prove if they were to deny any knowledge.

Any advice would be welcome.

Put a picture up. Its jKw. Not N. LOL.

Knotweed is easily controllable by weedkillers (see my previous post). Most of the information out there is scaremongering, so I wouldn't worry too much about it...

Permabanned
Put a picture up. Its jKw. Not N. LOL.

Knotweed is easily controllable by weedkillers (see my previous post). Most of the information out there is scaremongering, so I wouldn't worry too much about it...
It’s the potential impact on the value of my house that is the main concern.

I’ve had another chat with the neighbour today and contacted a few people so we’ll have to wait and see what happens. Just a bit of a shock really.
5-E89-D5-F7-FCF6-4744-9-F35-4960-EB7-BD09-A.jpg

Not sure if you can make it out the neighbour is supposed to be sending me a better picture later. It may not even be jkw but like i said he dropped the bombshell last night and I’m not taking any chances.

Last edited:
Associate
It's hard to tell as it's quite pixelated but nothing there looks like Japanese knotweed to me.

It's a really fast grower when the conditions are right (which they have been for a while now) so I'd expect there to be a fair amount if it's present. All I can see there are weeds :D

The leaves don't look very heart shaped either which is the usual give away.

It's about £100 to get a professional out to scan the whole garden for it and if they find any they don't charge you. Now is the time to get one out as it dies back in winter and can be hard to spot.

Soldato
A friend of mine had a bit of this in her garden about ten years ago.

We did the research. Getting rid of it is pretty straightforward but you do have to be committed for the long run.

All Knotweed has to be cut back.

Everything that you cut has to be burned or otherwise disposed of in an un-survivable manner. Knotweed is like "The Thing" every part of it is capable of becoming a new plant so it really does have to be destroyed by Fire or something similar!

The cut stems need to be painted with roundup.

Rinse and repeat for 18 months or so and it never came back.

Permabanned
Ok so the neighbour has sent me a better picture.

F3-D3-A596-8796-43-ED-A6-FC-980-AB3811-F9-D.jpg

The more I’m looking into it reading your comments etc the more I’m starting to think it’s not. Like you say it should have grown quite a bit over the last few weeks but it doesn’t look like their is much there. Unless he’s been chopping it down on the sly.

Associate
Not Knotweed. I see bindweed and Ivy in that second pic. The first pic are some nice dandelions. Lol.

Also the above about "all Knotweed has to be cut back" is not right. AFTER treatment, yes, before, absolutely not. The stuff you see above ground isn't the problem, it's the rhizomes below that you want to get the poison into.

Caporegime
Nope, that doesn't look like Japanese Knotweed to me.
doesnt look like it to me either, the leaves don't look anything alike imo

the city park near my house has loads of the stuff growing around an old abandoned house in the corner of the park.

its all been fenced off around it for years and years with warnings at one point about the risks of japanese knotweed being spread by your shoes etc

Associate
doesnt look like it to me either, the leaves don't look anything alike imo

the city park near my house has loads of the stuff growing around an old abandoned house in the corner of the park.

its all been fenced off around it for years and years with warnings at one point about the risks of japanese knotweed being spread by your shoes etc

LOL - only if somehow your shoes dug down into the ground and got to the rhizomes. As I mentioned above, a lot of misinformation going around. If the site was being dug (to remove it) then yes you'd want to make sure bits of rhizome weren't on your shoes, but simply walking around healthy growing plants is zero risk of spreading it...

Associate
I had a garden with knotweed.
I dug all the earth up to a depth of 3 feet, then lined the garden with a weed stopping liner.
I did have one or 2 return over 3 years, but found injecting them direct with parazone bleach utterly killed them off and I had no returns.
Did you know the young plants are very tender and you can eat them, they taste like a mild rhubarb.

Associate
I had a garden with knotweed.
I dug all the earth up to a depth of 3 feet, then lined the garden with a weed stopping liner.
I did have one or 2 return over 3 years, but found injecting them direct with parazone bleach utterly killed them off and I had no returns.
Did you know the young plants are very tender and you can eat them, they taste like a mild rhubarb.

I don't suppose you did, but JKW is a controlled waste under the 1990 EPA, and needs to go to a licensed tip...

Also...bleach?!

Soldato
Ok so the neighbour has sent me a better picture.

F3-D3-A596-8796-43-ED-A6-FC-980-AB3811-F9-D.jpg

The more I’m looking into it reading your comments etc the more I’m starting to think it’s not. Like you say it should have grown quite a bit over the last few weeks but it doesn’t look like their is much there. Unless he’s been chopping it down on the sly.
Looks like the same stuff that keeps popping up in a few different spots in my garden coming from a neighbour who doesn't keep the garden under control and the alleyway behind. Grows hilariously quick which might be why the neighbour suspected knotweed? I believe it can so reproduce easily from cuttings so it can multiply if cut/dug up and not removed in full.

Back
Top Bottom