Upgrade time

Associate
Well it will be in May.
Currently rocking the S9, great phone, not bad camera. Battery life absolutely abysmal. Needs a charge halfway through the day.

Now I would like another Samsung but thinking do I go for a S10+ or the S20.
Both roughly the same price on EE.

Camera is mainly used for snapshots so not too fussed, but I'd prefer something with better battery life than my S9.

Associate
If you can afford the £900 outlay I would get the one plus one pro 8 only negative point on that phone is camera.
If you want Samsung I would get sim only with EE £20 for 100gb data as it’s the best value for money and get the Samsung plus 20 from Samsung type the code SAMSUNG15 you get 15% off so phone costs £850 you pay 10% £85 then you pay £25 a month so that’s a total of £45 for phone and 100gb data and option to upgrade every 12 months but you have to send your phone back with no damage and they send you the new model but you can’t upgrade to the note it has to be the same series if that makes sense

Caporegime
You could get your battery replaced as the cheapest option?

Might I suggest you going for a SnapDragon powered phone rather than an Exynos as this is likely better for performance and battery.

As Tony says, the OP8 Pro is an excellent choice. The S20 would be a decent upgrade also, providing you get a good deal.

Soldato
they send you the new model but you can’t upgrade to the note it has to be the same series if that makes sense

I'm pretty sure you can upgrade to whatever you want as long as you've made the minimum number of payments on the plan.

Not sure where you got that the 8 Pro camera is bad.

Associate
Regarding the one plus one pro 8 the display is the best there is especially when outdoors under the sunshine but I have heard the display has burn in problems etc. Have to remember thousands of devices are sold and people are more likely to post faults they find rather than how great something is and can always receive a faulty product.
Also some people rather do all they can to try find faults rather than enjoy the products. I would have preferred snapdragon chip as it’s slightly faster and when gaming won’t get as hot after an hours play but I don’t play games on mobile phones

Associate
I'm pretty sure you can upgrade to whatever you want as long as you've made the minimum number of payments on the plan.

Not sure where you got that the 8 Pro camera is bad.

not saying the camera is bad just saying it’s not as good as the Samsung or iPhone 11 Pro but I prefer android so iPhone not an option for me. When I took out the note 9 I was told in store I could only upgrade to the s series not the note and if I went for the note I could upgrade to the note not the s series this is after 12 months because after 12 months you send the phone back and go onto another 2 year contract that’s if you chose to upgrade

Soldato
I just checked the Samsung website and there're no mentions of limitations. It just says "upgrade to the latest galaxy." Obviously the release pattern of the phones makes it more likely that if you get an S series on release you'll be more likely to buy the next S series. Staff in the Samsung stores are, in my experience, no more than pressure salesmen.

Associate
I just checked the Samsung website and there're no mentions of limitations. It just says "upgrade to the latest galaxy." Obviously the release pattern of the phones makes it more likely that if you get an S series on release you'll be more likely to buy the next S series. Staff in the Samsung stores are, in my experience, no more than pressure salesmen.

ah ok I only went on what I was told in store. I think £850 for the phone £45 a month for phone and 100gb of data is good deal what do you think? I hope to see some difference to my note 9.
I discovered today that you can have the screen at 90hz and full resolution rather than 60hz and 1080p

back to helping the original two posters if you go with Samsung you have 28 days to send the phone back so thought I would take up the £150 offer and give it a try. S20 and one plus one 8 pro are the best on the market at the moment I think

Associate
ah ok I only went on what I was told in store. I think £850 for the phone £45 a month for phone and 100gb of data is good deal what do you think? I hope to see some difference to my note 9.
I discovered today that you can have the screen at 90hz and full resolution rather than 60hz and 1080p

back to helping the original two posters if you go with Samsung you have 28 days to send the phone back so thought I would take up the £150 offer and give it a try. S20 and one plus one 8 pro are the best on the market at the moment I think
How do you set the screen to 90hz?

Associate
How do you set the screen to 90hz?

access the secret menu

go to settings

Scroll down to about phone tap that

Find build model number and tap it 5 times it then asks your password or whatever your security is

go to settings you now have extra settings in there under about phone you will see developer options and in there you can chose 90hz full resolution and change the animation etc

Associate
access the secret menu

go to settings

Scroll down to about phone tap that

Find build model number and tap it 5 times it then asks your password or whatever your security is

go to settings you now have extra settings in there under about phone you will see developer options and in there you can chose 90hz full resolution and change the animation etc
Thank you. Have you noticed any positive impact on the battery and does this work with QHD enabled?

Associate
Thank you. Have you noticed any positive impact on the battery and does this work with QHD enabled?

works with and enabled. I have only just received my phone so will let you know a bit later as I need to mess around with it and set it up but that hidden menu is an old trick you can change animation etc as well within the menu

Associate
OP
You could get your battery replaced as the cheapest option?

Might I suggest you going for a SnapDragon powered phone rather than an Exynos as this is likely better for performance and battery.

As Tony says, the OP8 Pro is an excellent choice. The S20 would be a decent upgrade also, providing you get a good deal.
I’d consider a battery replacement. As it’s a cracking phone. Just battery life is dreadful, from 97% to 87% taken 1 hr 45 minutes and 24 minutes of SOT.

Soldato
I’d consider a battery replacement. As it’s a cracking phone. Just battery life is dreadful, from 97% to 87% taken 1 hr 45 minutes and 24 minutes of SOT.

Depending on your usage and whether or not you have AOD turned on (which drains about 1pc per hour) I wouldn't say your described battery drain is massively below expectations for the S9's 3000mAh battery.

I used to have an S8 which has the same size battery and it didn't last very long at all, even when new.

Back
Top Bottom