The Stranglers keyboard player dies

Associate
Like a lot of UK deaths, he didn't die of covid, he died with it.

Sick of the government and media treating us like kids, we know about the nhs, stop scaring people.

Soldato
And you know this because you were involved in his care at the end of his life? It’s pretty likely in current situation that his +ve covid test was what killed him

Damn, the idea that the tests might actually be dangerous is a new one! :p

Having said that, the problem is in the reporting.

It is a bit like DUI, just because a driver has alcohol in their system does not mean that this is what caused the accident.

And yet, statistically this is how it will always be recorded as a "Alcohol related incident". Covid seems to be being treated the same way.

Associate
Semantics really. If you pushed someone off a cliff you can't say it wasn't me who killed them, it was the sudden stop. Well, you could, you just wouldn't get very far.
Sure there will be people who have passed away in care homes with Covid who may have passed away regardless in these few months. They can figure that out later by looking at normal death rates vs what they are seeing now.

Pretty clear covid is killing huge numbers who'd otherwise still be alive for many years to come.

RIP

Soldato
The prolonged stay in hospital due to heart problems may have had an impact on his death.

More importantly , I saw him play with the Stranglers many times over the years, it was his keyboard playing that made them different to the rest.

Permabanned
Damn, the idea that the tests might actually be dangerous is a new one! :p

Having said that, the problem is in the reporting.

It is a bit like DUI, just because a driver has alcohol in their system does not mean that this is what caused the accident.

And yet, statistically this is how it will always be recorded as a "Alcohol related incident". Covid seems to be being treated the same way.

I like that analogy, very good.

Associate
Covid seems to be being treated the same way.

you may think that, but as someone who is filling in death certificates I can tell you covid is only being put on when the clinical case is fitting and it was felt either the primary cause or contributing. It is a high probability it was contributing in many deaths that have recently tested positive currently and denying this is ridiculous, but unless you were involved his care then you don’t know.

Caporegime
What was the actual cause of death? all I keep seeing is "after testing positive for...", it's becoming clear that lots of people have the virus but show no symptoms so testing positive is largely meaningless.

Soldato
it was felt either the primary cause or contributing. It is a high probability it was contributing in many deaths that have recently tested positive currently

Again, the devil is in the detail. I am not intending to try to be commenting on this specific case, rather in how this is being reported generally.

Of course it is likely that it was contributing.

But contributing covers a very wide range of possibilities.

All the way from Cytokine storm in a 20 year old rugby player to somebody in their 80's in a nursing home is was basically going to die as a consequence of the next bug that came along anyway, even if it was just a gyppy tummy, and this time Covid was it.

Assigning the significance of the level of contribution is going to be very subjective Different people filling in the forms will have different opinions depending on their own agenda.

Unless everybody making these assessments are using the same criteria and those criteria are published. statements regarding fatalities involving the presence of Covid are pretty meaningless.

Soldato
statements regarding fatalities involving the presence of Covid are pretty meaningless.

And yet, here we are.

Much like your meaningless analogy about DUI. How do you know if the alcohol played a part in an accident? How do you know it didn't? In specific cases it's impossible to really know.

However, we do know that people who are alcohol impaired are statistically more likely to involved in accidents. So in all likelihood any alcohol present had an influence. And certainly in aggregate, it does.

Similarly, statisically, people who have died with Covid as a contributory or major factor in their deaths would have lived significantly longer without it.

https://www.economist.com/graphic-d...d-19-victims-have-died-soon-without-the-virus

That doesn't mean everyone. Doesn't mean every single case. That's not what recorded deaths and causes is supposed to be about. It's only really useful when looked at combined with all other causes.

And what's all this about the "people filling in the forms"? and their different agendas? They're doctors FFS. They're trained to fill in forms recording deaths. Sure, it's their opinion, but it's an educated one. And any subjectivity is eroded by the multiple sources of data. Outliers aren't supported by the others.

They're not just making it up, or bending the information en masse to further some imagined conspiracy. They're recording what they think killed someone and contributed to their death. They're doing that to help medical statisticians help reduce future deaths from the same causes.

Last edited:
Soldato
What was the actual cause of death? all I keep seeing is "after testing positive for...", it's becoming clear that lots of people have the virus but show no symptoms so testing positive is largely meaningless.
Its not like people are dying after being hit by cars or in other tragic accidents and then the papers reporting they died after testing positive is it?

People are dying due to complictaions with being infected by the Coronavirus. Many of those people would not despite many idiots saying it, have died at that time and most probably would have had many, many good years ahead of them before dying of their underlying health conditions.
Exactly
childlike, disrespectful, thread title, obviously op was not a fan

(double take that this hasn't been fixed already)
In what way? He was a Strangler and he did die after testing positive for Covid. I dont see the controversy. Oh no wait I do its because its Stockhausen. Christ people grow up.
RIP Golden Brownie :(
That says to me that not only could he have been a fan but is also a bit sad about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Like a lot of UK deaths, he didn't die of covid, he died with it.

Sick of the government and media treating us like kids, we know about the nhs, stop scaring people.

Aye stop scaring people...

TK5UeoF.jpg

That's all you need, a massive spike in deaths, doesn't matter if they died of it, or died with it, COVID has lead to a massive increase in UK deaths.
The fright is real.

Soldato
Exactly
childlike, disrespectful, thread title, obviously op was not a fan

(double take that this hasn't been fixed already)

In what way? He was a Strangler and he did die after testing positive for Covid. I dont see the controversy. Oh no wait I do its because its Stockhausen. Christ people grow up.That says to me that not only could he have been a fan but is also a bit sad about it.
Sorry @jpaul that wasnt necessarily directed at you as Im not aware of any history of you mocking Stockhausen just because Stockhausen.

Back
Top Bottom