21:9 monitor ultra wide 144Hz and FreeSync

Associate
It's time to upgrade my TN 1920x1080@60Hz monitor that I have been using for the past 10 years, and while I think I would like to have a 4K144Hz monitor, in reality I would like the have a bit more real estate than a 16:9 monitor, but without having the space desk taken by a second monitor. A 21:9 monitor seems to be the compromise that I'm looking for, because if I need/want a small window to the side, or PIP, I can still have a game running in 16:9 on borderless fullscreen.

I live in London so I'm likely to buy from OCUK, but that's not necessarily mandatory. ;)

I want the monitor to play all sorts of games (but more Fallout than Quake), and watch films and shows on Amazon Prime Video and Blu-Ray rips.
I'm sitting 56 cm (22") away from my screen, so I'm considering a 34" panel.
My CPU is a Ryzen 7 3800X, and my GPU is a Sapphire 5700 XT.

Must-haves:
21:9
144 Hz
without overshoot or ghosting or colour problems (common sense applies here)
FreeSync (monitors with the new G-Sync module that came out in 2020 and work with FS are also eligible)
1440p (1080p is too 2010) :D

Like-to-have:
Height adjustment
Smart reduction of blue light at night
HDR10

Candidates that I'm considering:
LG 34GK950F
IPS
£1000
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-curved-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-14w-lg.html
Review: https://youtu.be/vtHxh-yVzXc

MSI Optix MPG341CQR
VA
£869
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...klit-widescreen-gaming-monitor-mo-00q-ms.html
Review: https://youtu.be/OzGC8EHqXi8

Nixeus EDG34S
VA
£545

Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVqfuvUGPZU

Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1
IPS (flat screen)
£400

Review: I can't find any!!!

There's also an AOC that doesn't inspire me with quality (unlike many AOCs that are really good for the price), and for that price I prefer the Nixeus. And there's a BenQ that also has problems with colour consistency if you're sitting too close, as mentioned in another thread in this forum.

So, opinions? Does anyone have personal experience with any of these monitors? Should I consider any other monitor?
Thank you.

**No competitors **

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
Can't offer much input but why is that iiyama so cheap?!

- 144hz
- ips
- flat
- 34" 1440
- freesync 44-144HZ range

Or is it just simply cause they aren't gouging like every other monitor manufacturer...........

Out of them, I would go for that or the Nixeus EDG34S, the £1000 screens don't offer much, if anything worthwhile, certainly, nothing worth paying that much for especially when you are in 55" OLED TV territory.

Although I would say stick to IPS over VA.

Last edited:
Associate
Can't offer much input but why is that iiyama so cheap?!

Up until recently LG had a monopoly on ultrawide IPS technology screens, which naturally leads to those beings expensive. The panel in that iiyama is of Chinese make (BOE) and it looks like they are keen to undercut the market.

I want the monitor to play all sorts of games (but more Fallout than Quake), and watch films and shows on Amazon Prime Video and Blu-Ray rips.

Must-haves:
21:9
144 Hz
without overshoot or ghosting or colour problems (common sense applies here)
FreeSync (monitors with the new G-Sync module that came out in 2020 and work with FS are also eligible)
1440p (1080p is too 2010) :D

Like-to-have:
Height adjustment
Smart reduction of blue light at night
HDR10

Some of your preferences are at odds with others - VA panels are best for films but they have dark level ghosting, whereas IPS options have faster pixel response but bad contrast which makes blacks look grey-ish - not great for multimedia in a dark room.

I've personally tested the CU34G2X (same panel as the nixeus you're considering) and MPG341CQR. The nixeus doesn't have a height adjustable stand. If you want to go for the EDG34S, also consider the lenovo G34W-10 (same panel, better build and stand).
The MPG341CQR has the best pixel response among current VA ultrawides. If you're serious about watching films and minimising dark level ghosting this is your pick. Keep in mind all VA displays will exhibit a level of brightness flickering while gaming with adaptive sync, under certain situations. How much this bothers you is impossible to say.

The iiyama is likely to look better in motion and is a flat screen, which looks better if you want to sit far away. I am planning to test drive one of these when they come in stock. The 34GK950F is the best for pure gaming on your list, but subpar contrast (800:1) and well documented QC/reliability issues. Consider waiting for the 34GN850 to start shipping, it's a refresh of the former with a slightly higher refresh rate and, allegedly, better build quality as LG are offering 3 year warranty for it in the States rather than the 1 year on the 34GK950F.

Caporegime
Up until recently LG had a monopoly on ultrawide IPS technology screens, which naturally leads to those beings expensive. The panel in that iiyama is of Chinese make (BOE) and it looks like they are keen to undercut the market.

Are there any other models with the same panels, which have reviews yet?

Associate
Are there any other models with the same panels, which have reviews yet?

No professional reviews yet, AFAIK, but if you cannot wait the acer XV340CK can be bought right now with the same panel.

I do think the European pricing on that product is a bit ridiculous, however. It's being sold for $400-$500 in the US and here etailers are charging us £650.

Caporegime
No professional reviews yet, AFAIK, but if you cannot wait the acer XV340CK can be bought right now with the same panel.

I do think the European pricing on that product is a bit ridiculous, however. It's being sold for $400-$500 in the US and here etailers are charging us £650.

Aye, good old rip off UK for you!

I haven't really been looking for a new monitor because of the ridiculous pricing but £400 for that kind of spec if the panel is good is pretty damn good value....

@PCM2 @badass

might be a good monitor/panel to review if you guys can get your hands on them.

Associate
OP
What the difference (except the cost) between the 34GK950F amd 34GN850?? One has Freesync and GSync, the other Freesync 2

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-led-curved-backlit-gaming-mon-mo-15l-lg.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/lg-3...-curved-widescreen-led-monitor-mo-14w-lg.html
Thanks for that, I actually only found out about it yesterday night when I stumbled on a comment mentioning it on reddit. I had no idea it was arriving so soon in 10 days.
However it does seem to be a rebrand just like we have seen with graphics cards, but without the substantial price reduction that rebranded graphics cards usually bring (the 34GK950F was £850 late 2019 here on OC, that's £100 less than the 34GN850's launch price). I guess that LG is confident that an overclock to 160 Hz over 144 Hz is actually worth paying. :rolleyes:
I'll have to wait and see if there's a clearance of stock sale with a matching price reduction.

Associate
Isn't the Iiyama the same panel as in their 75hz IPS, but overclocked?
All the other specs are the same (brightness, contrast etc) so I'd assumed it was the same panel. If it is, there are reviews out there of that one.

Associate
OP
Isn't the Iiyama the same panel as in their 75hz IPS, but overclocked?
All the other specs are the same (brightness, contrast etc) so I'd assumed it was the same panel. If it is, there are reviews out there of that one.
I very much doubt that, we have never seen a staggering overclock of 44% on any panel before.

Soldato
I have my eyes on the Iiyama myself. I'm just waiting for proper reviews of it and perhaps a GPU upgrade first as well. The Acer is a little disappointing in the brightness department.

Soldato
Nixeus EDG34S seems like the no-brainer to me. I have an IPS UW and wouldn't buy one again, the contrast is too much of a deal breaker, and while the MSI has better PRT than the Nixeus, I wouldn't pay extra for it, and you get better contrast ratios anyway with the Nixeus.

Associate
OP
Nixeus EDG34S seems like the no-brainer to me. I have an IPS UW and wouldn't buy one again, the contrast is too much of a deal breaker, and while the MSI has better PRT than the Nixeus, I wouldn't pay extra for it, and you get better contrast ratios anyway with the Nixeus.

Hi Poneros, which IPS UW do you have, why is contrast so important to you, and what do you mean by "better PRT" please?

Soldato
Hi Poneros, which IPS UW do you have, why is contrast so important to you, and what do you mean by "better PRT" please?

LG 29" UMP68-P? Something like that, forgot exact name, it's serving as my surveillance monitor now lol. PRT is the pixel response times, you can see it in the review you posted. The issue with too low contrast is that once you see a proper display with good contrast you can tell how hazy low-contrast is, like there's a grey fog preventing you from seeing the picture properly. Not to mention, with better contrast the image gets a greater sense of depth & 3 dimensionality. For me it just makes a world of difference and I'd always choose VA over IPS for those reasons. Ideally if you had the space you'd buy a TV with FALD (or OLED) and get the best PQ but I understand having lived in London space is at a premium :p

Associate
OP
LG 29" UMP68-P? Something like that, forgot exact name, it's serving as my surveillance monitor now lol. PRT is the pixel response times, you can see it in the review you posted. The issue with too low contrast is that once you see a proper display with good contrast you can tell how hazy low-contrast is, like there's a grey fog preventing you from seeing the picture properly. Not to mention, with better contrast the image gets a greater sense of depth & 3 dimensionality. For me it just makes a world of difference and I'd always choose VA over IPS for those reasons. Ideally if you had the space you'd buy a TV with FALD (or OLED) and get the best PQ but I understand having lived in London space is at a premium :p
Yeah, no, I already have a Panasonic 55FZ802 OLED from 2018 for that. :p And my wife already thinks my desk is huge at 140x80 cm, wait until I put a 34" monitor on top of this baby. :D
My saving grace is that the bezels are so large on this 24" TN monitor that the height will be the same.

I appreciate your opinion on contrast, of course it is important, it's just that it seems that it's not that important any more thanks to how IPS panels have evolved, especially the LG with Nanocell technology that keeps getting rave reviews.
One thing that greatly concerns me though is how LG has a solid 1 star out of 5 on Trustpilot UK, seems that they couldn't care less about their customers, and that is a big no no to me.

Back
Top Bottom