• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK Comet Lake S review thread

Man of Honour
Actually fairly surprised that they are getting the mediocre reviews they are getting and aren't just getting slammed by the tech press for the same old thing again. I think better than expected is what I would describe them as. Still relative junk in terms of pricing mind.

Soldato
Actually fairly surprised that they are getting the mediocre reviews they are getting and aren't just getting slammed by the tech press for the same old thing again. I think better than expected is what I would describe them as. Still relative junk in terms of pricing mind.
Its basically 9th gen with HT enabled throughout the stack and a new flagship with 2 more cores.

Soldato
Intel are stupid. Re release the 8700k and 9900k at much cheaper price points (8700k @£160 etc) . Sit and wait till they have something worth an upgrade too. Spitting out this 10th gen is stupid imo.

Soldato
No, it'll probably be closer to £150, just like top end B450 boards such as the Strix are. Top end in terms of pricing anyway - I'd take the £110 Tomahawk MAX over the Strix any day, and I'm sure there'll be "bargain" B550 boards further down the range too. I still don't see where people are getting £200+ from or believing that they'll start at £120. Not a chance in my opinion.

Soldato
No, it'll probably be closer to £150, just like top end B450 boards such as the Strix are. Top end in terms of pricing anyway - I'd take the £110 Tomahawk MAX over the Strix any day, and I'm sure there'll be "bargain" B550 boards further down the range too. I still don't see where people are getting £200+ from or believing that they'll start at £120. Not a chance in my opinion.
Don't forget we are living in a post covid world now where supply chains have gone up in price and the pound has come down.

Soldato
It's revealing how lackluster this launch is and the ryzen competition in how everywhere still has stock, past Intel launches were sell outs on day one.

Steve at HU said that seems 10900K is just paper launch for a limited run CPU like the 9900KS. Just to keep numbers up in charts.

Also except guru3d haven't seen anyone else mentioning this

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/intel-core-i9-10900k-processor-review,31.html

Life span

One thing I do like to address is the life-span of this platform. Comet Lake-S and Rocket-Lake-S will be the only two generations processors that will work on the LGA1200 series motherboards. That means you will not be able to upgrade fast based on your motherboard. Next year in 2021 architectures like Alder Lake-S already have been scheduled, it's mentioned that the pin count once again will change to 1700, a socket LGA1700. So while LGA1200 has just been introduced it will last roughly one year before becoming obsolete as an upgrade path.

So 11 series is indeed out before the end of the year with Z590 boards, and going also to be replaced by LGA1700 next year. (around May time).

Clearly Intel pulls another Z270 x 2 this year, like did in 2017 due to panic.

Caporegime
Steve at HU said that seems 10900K is just paper launch for a limited run CPU like the 9900KS. Just to keep numbers up in charts.

Also except guru3d haven't seen anyone else mentioning this

So 11 series is indeed out before the end of the year with Z590 boards, and going also to be replaced by LGA1700 next year. (around May time).

Clearly Intel pulls another Z270 x 2 this year, like did in 2017 due to panic.

Lol, another dead end platform. Pathetic.

Soldato
I actually think Intel dropped the ball on pricing here as if they could gone with £200 10600k 300 10700k and 450 10900k then these would have sold very well and been very competitive in price performance to AMD.

Soldato
The 3600, but it probably makes sense to wait for B550 at this point. They look like a hefty upgrade over B450, no chipset fan and no complications when upgrading to Zen 3 later.

Cheers, appreciate the suggestion as it was my plan to wait until next month for the B550 and buy something then! The Ryzen 3600 looks to be the sweet spot in terms of price / performance at the moment and there's little chance of Intel changing that from what I've seen so far :)

Hopefully I can pick up a mini-ITX B550 motherboard and a Ryzen 3600 for about £250.

Back
Top Bottom