Which monitor to buy?

Associate
Hi all, I would like some help/opinions on a new monitor which will get the best results on screen with my current spec.

PC Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz 2x8GB
240GB Corsair MP510 NVMe & 2TB BarraCuda
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Corsair 750W TX
ASUS PRIME X570-P
CoolerMaster CM 212 Black

My budget is £300, ideally I would like a minimum of 27" but theres a lot of options and I would like some opinions of those in the know, thank you!

Associate
check out aoc Q27G2U 144Hz 27 inch monitor.
It’s 1440p and I don’t know what resolution you want, I purchased this monitor a few months ago and I totally love it, I’m a competitive gamer on call of duty warzone so I play at 1080p, bf5 bf1 visuals at 1440p is brilliant.
Viotek just released a new monitor GFV27DAB 1440p is another good monitor judging by reviews so it’s worth googling these and having a read up. Both of these monitors are va panels but it don’t bother me as I see it it’s the best of both worlds

Soldato
I only game at 1440p but judging from those specs I'd imagine you will be able to feed 4K display?

The downside of course is budget so I'd echo @Tray 's thoughts above that you'd want a 1440p running at 144Hz+

The thing you need to establish is what are you going to be using it for and what type of panel best suits your needs - IPS or VA (or even TN but my understanding is that they are the worst of the bunch?)

Personally I've got a VA panel and love it for general gaming but I've got friends who swear by IPS!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I will mainly be gaming, I play quite a lot of Warzone like Tray so I was looking at 144Hz and 1440p however I am struggling with size. I have read that 32" is too big for PC gaming, right now I have a 24" 75Hz monitor, however I do not know much regarding IPS/VA and TN and which combination would be ideal. I was hoping to get a monitor over this weekend or Monday latest.

I have been looking at the:

ViewSonic VX3258-2KPC-MHD 32" Curved Gaming Monitor
  • 2560 x 1440 resolution
  • 1ms MPRT response time
  • HDMI, DisplayPort
  • 144Hz refresh rate
  • AMD FreeSync technology
    • Display Size (in.): 32
    • Viewable Area (in.): 31.5
    • Panel Type: VA Technology
    • Resolution: 2560 x 1440
    • Resolution Type: QHD

Soldato
Specs don't look bad at all but I'd watch some reviews on YouTube before going for any monitor!

Size-wise mine is 32" but I do have the luxury of being able to sit quite a way back - I love it for gaming but it would be uncomfortable if I had to sit closer!

27" seems to be the "sweet spot" for 1440p gaming so I'd stick there if you don't have an abundance of space!

The other thing to consider is that your GPU is Nvidia and so ideally you'd want Gsync rather than Freesync (although that will increase the cost and I seem to remember reading that Freesync works with Nvidia cards these days?)

Have a read up regards the differences between IPS and VA - but budget-wise I'd imagine VA will be the way to go!

Associate
OP
Honestly I thought I had my mind made up until you made a great point StevieP, I had no idea about needing Gsync instead of Freesync. I've decided on 27". I have a few Freesync monitors in mind but if they're not compatible does that mean I won't get the refresh rates displayed?

Associate
OP
I'm no expert as I have an ATI GPU but as far as I'm aware Freesync monitors are now compatible with Nvidia graphics cards!

Yeah I have either read that they are officially compatible or unofficially compatible, which I guess must mean they've been tested by users and work fine but Nvidia refuse to release it as official. My budget is now £500 after reading a lot more into it. I'm leaning towards:

Aorus CV27Q-EK 27" Curved Gaming Monitor
  • 2560 x 1440 QHD
  • HDMI & DisplayPort
  • 165Hz / 1ms Response Time
  • Panel Type: VA

Soldato
Upping your budget opens up a lot more possibilities - especially if you want to consider monitors with IPS panels!

The LG 27GL850 is pretty well regarded and now in budget - finding stock will probably be an issue though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom