Aorus elite x570 m.2 slot question

Soldato
I'm thinking of ditching my mechanical 1tb drive for a m.2 1tb drive. I've currently got the sabrent pcie gen 4 nvne drive in the top slot (with the heat shield) the other slot, if I use it, will it affect the performance of the sabrent drive? Not too sure about all the m.2 lanes stuff

Soldato
I'm thinking of ditching my mechanical 1tb drive for a m.2 1tb drive. I've currently got the sabrent pcie gen 4 nvne drive in the top slot (with the heat shield) the other slot, if I use it, will it affect the performance of the sabrent drive? Not too sure about all the m.2 lanes stuff
Don't think it does mate I'm about to find out soon myself but what I've heard it shouldn't effect the other m2 mate

Associate
I have the same board and are using both M.2 slots, though I'm not using a Gen4 drive. I have not noticed any performance drop with any of my M.2 drive or my graphics card.

My system spec is in my sig.

Soldato
all M.2 slots on X570 boards have their own lanes, they dont share with anything else, so you dont loose any other slots or SATA ports, and they all run at full speed PCI-e 4.0 X4, this is possible because the X570 chipset also provides a further 16 full speed PCI-e 4.0 lanes to other devices south of the 2 x16 GPU slots and the first nvme slot, which get their lanes direct from the CPU.

B550 (depending on which board you go for) has a very very strange PCI-e lane layout, the B550 Master has a completely different layout to the B550 Pro for instance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do they? On a board with only two M.2 slots and not much else going on that's true, but start adding additional M.2 slots and other onboard peripherals and those 16 lanes are soon going to be used up.

well ive got an MSI X570 ace, and all 3 M.2 slots on that board are populated and all run at full speed, SATA doesnt use any of the lanes as the CPU and chipset comes with controllers built in as additions, same with the USB and LAN, they have their own controllers so really you are only talking about slots that need the lanes, the only restriction with my ACE is you can only use 1 or the other PCI-e x 1 slots not both.

EDIT: Sorry only the chipset comes with a dedicated sata controller of 4 sata ports, which would explain why my ACE only has 4 any more SATA ports and you are sharing lanes, unless like you stated, it only has 2 M.2 slots.

On my ace though, im using all 3 nvme slots, 1 x 16 gpu slot and 1 x PCI x 1 slot for my sound card, finishing with 2 sata ports, im not sure if anything has been disabled as im not using anything else, but the manual doesnt say anything about loosing anything except 1 or the other x1 slot.

o9M5L2X.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom