Resident Evil 3 (r3make)

Man of Honour
So I completed it this evening. Wow that was very short indeed. You could easily speed run this in a couple of hours without much effort.

I’m rather disappointed - the end just felt rushed. I couldn’t believe it when the final showdown occurred... this was much better in the original game.

Wow Nemmy gets utterly obliterated! I quite like how you have the option in the original to leave him or finish the job.... and even if you finish him he’s still there pulsating.

I really didn’t like how a certain enemy type shows up completely unexplained. I also don’t like that the game is essentially 5 very short chapters... of which the first of which is the longest by far.

Honestly, I think I got to the police station in about ~60 mins if that second time around, if that, scooping up everything.

I DID enjoy it but I think the Revelations games are longer than this...

Not as good as the previous remake, by a long way.

Soldato
Well, I'm about 95% of the way through the Hardcore run now, and I'm pretty burnt out and bored.
I can feel my slow mind and lack of focus while fighting the 2nd to last Nemesis and keep making stupid mistakes.

MUST... PUSH... THROUGH... AND... COMPLETE.... !!!

Soldato
So I finished it on Hardcore.
Bought the electric gun to see what it was like, then discovered it was great fun.
Thought I'd have a crack at Nightmare difficulty.

I'm now at the bit I feared the most. Hospital Siege.
I might have reached my limit. :D

Man of Honour
So here’s a good indication of how short this game is.

Today I complete the RE1 HD remake (having completed it several times several years ago and having a pretty good understanding of what I was doing, albeit playing leisurely) in just over 7 hours - more time than my first play through of the RE3 remake.

Having the ink ribbon is such a crap mechanic in hindsight.... you always have enough saves (I played on hard and saved very regularly with loads spare) and it just creates this annoying - put something away, take out the ink, save the game, put any the ink, take out something else... every save. **** off!! Obviously exacerbated by my excess saving.

That save, no quicksave was a bit annoying too. Had to redo 10 minutes because Lisa Trevor bopped me off the side of cliff, something which I’ve never seen happen before.

I think I also finished the game with well over 100 handgun ammo and maybe 40 shotgun shells? Not as hard as I remember but that’s because I had an awareness of what to do.

My partner literally lol-ed at how easy the Tyrant is at the end. I killed him first time around by just aiming aim giving him 4/5 shots (no moving) and I pretty much did the same (albeit with one dodge) on the final version. She gave it a 1/10 for difficulty :p

Soldato
Is it just my joypad going duff or are there a lot of times in this game where the controls just don't respond? particularly when pressing L2 to target.

There's definitely something weird for me too, on the PS4 Pro.

For example:
When you've grabbed the first fuse in the warehouse and head down the ladder, there's a piece of the environment that crashes down and Jill sorta gets startled and you can't control her for a few seconds. Then some dogs approach and hitting L2 when you regain control just doesn't do anything and the dog gets you. Now, I could try using R1 and L analogue foreward to dodge but I've watched PC based speed runs on YouTube and they don't have any issues

Mind you, I think some of the PC speedruns have been done on pre-release software as there's loads of differences I've found in the PS4 game. For example, running through the gate near the fire hydrant after coming back from the power station, the PC speed runners bear slightly left and Nemesis jumps down near the fuel barrell (which they shoot to down him), this way you can clear the zombies too. However, I have to go much further before he spawns and I'm then surrounded by the zombies I left because I wanted to keep said barrel.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Having the ink ribbon is such a crap mechanic in hindsight.... you always have enough saves (I played on hard and saved very regularly with loads spare) and it just creates this annoying - put something away, take out the ink, save the game, put any the ink, take out something else... every save. **** off!! Obviously exacerbated by my excess saving.
Lol. Reading posts like this makes me realise how they arrived at Resident Evil 4, then 5 and finally 6 :p

Such system added a lot of intensity to the original imo. I would even push to the next save point many times and crap myself in situations where I was scared to die. I love item management, more it gets relaxed the more gets taken away, for me anyway. I also love starting wth very little slots and then finding the expansion slots.

Man of Honour
Lol. Reading posts like this makes me realise how they arrived at Resident Evil 4, then 5 and finally 6 :p

Such system added a lot of intensity to the original imo. I would even push to the next save point many times and crap myself in situations where I was scared to die. I love item management, more it gets relaxed the more gets taken away, for me anyway. I also love starting wth very little slots and then finding the expansion slots.
Thing is, there was so much ink ribbon, even on hard, that there was never any reason to ‘not save’. So practically all the ink ribbon mechanic did (taking it out... putting it back...) was waste my time.

I like the ink ribbon on paper but guess I’m more of fan of auto saves and not really a fan of games that ‘put you back’ considerably. If it takes two attempts to complete something, I’d rather do those attempts back to back than suffer mindlessly repeating part of a game just to ‘try again’. At that point it becomes an act of ‘time commitment’ rather than any else. I do appreciate that it does heighten tension though. I much prefer a hard as nails challenge that puts you right back at it (Celeste ftw).

I hadn’t saved my game since the caves and Lisa Trevor just opting to run at me and bop me off (?! didn’t know that was a thing) and having to mindlessly trudge back to the mansion was annoying.

RE5 was disappointing to me and RE6 was.... yeah, that was a thing :o

Soldato
Trying to get S rank on Hardcore, just got to the save point prior to Nemesis boss fight #2, got about an hour left to reach 1hr 45. Going to be tight I think?

The hospital section is the bit I dislike the most!

I haz 4090!
Don
I finally got around to playing this over the weekend. It was decent. Not mind-blowingly awesome or anything but enjoyable enough. I managed 7 hours for my first playthrough and that was me basically walking everywhere and checking every nook and cranny because I'd seen in the reviews how short it was.

Man of Honour
Since my play through of this remake I've played through a few of the series... didn't feel worthy of making a new thread so I'll put my thoughts in here!

REmake

This is still surprisingly good and the best of the 'old school / tank control' games. Knowing what I was doing, I was able to polish it off in a long play through. I did enjoy it. Not much to say that hasn't been said.

RE: Code Veronica

This was better than I remembered but it's still merely OK for the fact that it loses all momentum after it gets to Antartica, at which point I gave up (as I usually do). As a young-un, I think I got stuck because I omitted to explore properly with the lift floors in the training facility. The most memorable things about the game, from my most recent play through, are as follows.

First, is that the dialogue and voice acting is SO BAD. WOW. It's like they farted it out. Really, really awful.

Secondly, the likelihood of a remake seems about 'nil' due to the fact that it made a big deal of the villain cross-dressing, which is definitely outdated by modern standards. To be fair, he is clearly nuts and is not merely a cross-dresser, but one line did seem particularly outdated... when Claire insults him by declaring "Cross-dressing freak!!!" :o

Finally, that ****ing tyrant fight on the plane!!! That mother ****er!!! My controller was thrown across the floor several times. What an absolute chore of a fight. It's funny because you can beat him easy peasy if you decide to fight him like a video game enemy and exploit his turning circle. But if you decide to fight him like any other enemy of the game... damnnnn. No amount of health items or ammo will save you as he insta-bops you off the edge of the plane, or stun-locks you in a corner. Hugggghn! Probably one of the most annoying boss fights of all time.

Resident Evil Zero

This is definitely one of if not THE worst game in the series (that I have played, at least). Far worse than I remembered. The lack of save boxes and the ultra-slow method in which items are picked up (with unskippable slow fade ins and fade outs of the menu) is HORRIBLE. Soooo much time is spent lugging your items around. It's an abomination I tell thee! Similarly, whoever decided that you are not entitled to see what other items you are carrying when you decide to take an item, which as far as I recall is unlike any other game in the series, should be locked up in a police department and fed to a licker. This game genuinely felt like a chore. It was like the 'work' after work!!

The game is also unnecessarily cruel. There are two sections where the characters get split up and if you just so happened to have all of your weapons / ammo with one character, the game becomes insanely hard.

The plot and voice acting is once again in the realms of ultra-cheese and the game just sort of 'ends' with no ramp-up in tension. Very anticlimactic. I will say that the game does look nice in HD.

The BEST thing about the game is the leech zombies, which are pretty scary. That music :eek: !!! There is one section in the main mansion on the first floor where it throws a couple of them at you back to back which was a little nerve-racking. Pulse definitely got racing there.

Resident Evil 7

I finally put on the adult diapers and completed this game having previously wussed out. Holy crap this is one scary game, by FAR away the most terrifying of the series and the most frightening game I've ever played. I found the first few hours are borderline unbearable due to the stress. I had to take lots of breaks to make it through. Having survived the trauma of the initial hours, that horror somewhat sustains the rest of the game, because it's actually nowhere near as stingy with items and ammo as you might expect and by the end it feels almost like FPS style game.

There was also a completely unexpected 'penultimate section' which I won't spoil that I thought was brilliant.

This game really impressed me. It true that the opening hours are the most memorable but definitely worth a play through.

One minor gripe is that I disliked the way health way displayed with distracting blood on the screen. Maybe I could have turned that off.

The Evil Within

OK obviously this is not a Resident Evil game at all!! Playing through it at the moment and would definitely recommend to fans of the Resident Evil series. I would say it's very much a spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4 albeit set in a disjointed, non-sensical, and literally nightmarish world. It feels all over the place and disorientating, which I gather is a bit marmite but I personally think it is really neat and different. Some of the mechanics are a bit loose; stealth never really seems to be very effective and the enemies are prone to sprinting with weird movements for long distances making it far more difficult than RE4 to dispatch of enemies, so it takes some getting used to. There are a few insta-deth moments too which causes frustration. Stylistically though I think it's a great achievement. I definitely think it's worth checking out - @TNA have you played this one??

Just thought I'd share :)

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Since my play through of this remake I've played through a few of the series... didn't feel worthy of making a new thread so I'll put my thoughts in here!

REmake

This is still surprisingly good and the best of the 'old school / tank control' games. Knowing what I was doing, I was able to polish it off in a long play through. I did enjoy it. Not much to say that hasn't been said.

RE: Code Veronica

This was better than I remembered but it's still merely OK for the fact that it loses all momentum after it gets to Antartica, at which point I gave up (as I usually do). As a young-un, I think I got stuck because I omitted to explore properly with the lift floors in the training facility. The most memorable things about the game, from my most recent play through, are as follows.

First, is that the dialogue and voice acting is SO BAD. WOW. It's like they farted it out. Really, really awful.

Secondly, the likelihood of a remake seems about 'nil' due to the fact that it made a big deal of the villain cross-dressing, which is definitely outdated by modern standards. To be fair, he is clearly nuts and is not merely a cross-dresser, but one line did seem particularly outdated... when Claire insults him by declaring "Cross-dressing freak!!!" :o

Finally, that ****ing tyrant fight on the plane!!! That mother ****er!!! My controller was thrown across the floor several times. What an absolute chore of a fight. It's funny because you can beat him easy peasy if you decide to fight him like a video game enemy and exploit his turning circle. But if you decide to fight him like any other enemy of the game... damnnnn. No amount of health items or ammo will save you as he insta-bops you off the edge of the plane, or stun-locks you in a corner. Hugggghn! Probably one of the most annoying boss fights of all time.

Resident Evil Zero

This is definitely one of if not THE worst game in the series (that I have played, at least). Far worse than I remembered. The lack of save boxes and the ultra-slow method in which items are picked up (with unskippable slow fade ins and fade outs of the menu) is HORRIBLE. Soooo much time is spent lugging your items around. It's an abomination I tell thee! Similarly, whoever decided that you are not entitled to see what other items you are carrying when you decide to take an item, which as far as I recall is unlike any other game in the series, should be locked up in a police department and fed to a licker. This game genuinely felt like a chore. It was like the 'work' after work!!

The game is also unnecessarily cruel. There are two sections where the characters get split up and if you just so happened to have all of your weapons / ammo with one character, the game becomes insanely hard.

The plot and voice acting is once again in the realms of ultra-cheese and the game just sort of 'ends' with no ramp-up in tension. Very anticlimactic. I will say that the game does look nice in HD.

The BEST thing about the game is the leech zombies, which are pretty scary. That music :eek: !!! There is one section in the main mansion on the first floor where it throws a couple of them at you back to back which was a little nerve-racking. Pulse definitely got racing there.

Resident Evil 7

I finally put on the adult diapers and completed this game having previously wussed out. Holy crap this is one scary game, by FAR away the most terrifying of the series and the most frightening game I've ever played. I found the first few hours are borderline unbearable due to the stress. I had to take lots of breaks to make it through. Having survived the trauma of the initial hours, that horror somewhat sustains the rest of the game, because it's actually nowhere near as stingy with items and ammo as you might expect and by the end it feels almost like FPS style game.

There was also a completely unexpected 'penultimate section' which I won't spoil that I thought was brilliant.

This game really impressed me. It true that the opening hours are the most memorable but definitely worth a play through.

One minor gripe is that I disliked the way health way displayed with distracting blood on the screen. Maybe I could have turned that off.

The Evil Within

OK obviously this is not a Resident Evil game at all!! Playing through it at the moment and would definitely recommend to fans of the Resident Evil series. I would say it's very much a spiritual successor to Resident Evil 4 albeit set in a disjointed, non-sensical, and literally nightmarish world. It feels all over the place and disorientating, which I gather is a bit marmite but I personally think it is really neat and different. Some of the mechanics are a bit loose; stealth never really seems to be very effective and the enemies are prone to sprinting with weird movements for long distances making it far more difficult than RE4 to dispatch of enemies, so it takes some getting used to. There are a few insta-deth moments too which causes frustration. Stylistically though I think it's a great achievement. I definitely think it's worth checking out - @TNA have you played this one??

Just thought I'd share :)
Nice post. I agree with about less than half of it :p

Resident Evil Remake as you say is an awesome game. I used to put it behind Resident Evil 2, but I now have it in my top spot. Regarding Code Veronica, how dare you!! I love that game. They need to make a remake!! Was very disappointed to hear they have skipped it and gone to RE4 which to me is noway near as good as it feels like a completely different game, like it belongs to a different IP. RE0 is not the best, but still prefer it to RE4.

Resident Evil 7 was good, but goes downhill big time after leaving the house. Also has no memorable characters or story. Not a game I am drawn to replaying, but enjoyed it the first time.

I did play Evil Within. Did not like the story or the characters. Made it a bit of a chore to complete as a result. As you said it was very nonsensical :p:D

Lets see what they do with RE8. I hope they have worked out by now what makes a good RE game and stick with those elements but on a bigger scale over a village, kind of like Silent Hill did as I recall. They need to understand Resident Evil is not an action game, that is why Resident Evil 6 sucked so much as is the worst Resident Evil game ever made as far as I am concerned.

Here is my list, how would you rank yours?

1- Resident Evil Remake
2- Resident Evil 2
3- Resident Evil: Code Veronica
4- Resident Evil
5- Resident Evil 3
6- Resident Evil 2 Remake
7- Resident Evil 0
8- Resident Evil 3 Remake
9- Resident Evil 4
10- Resident Evil 7
11- Resident Evil 5
12- Resident Evil: Revelations
13- Resident Evil: Revelations 2
14- Resident Evil 6

Soldato
Resident Evil 4 is probably my favourite. Yes, its not perfect and playing it recently after playing RE2 Remake the controls are terrible. It was a step away from the T-Virus, Survival horror (In a few ways) but was such a good game to progress through with a great blend of action and survival, at the time the over the shoulder control was a massive step up over the tank controls. The first time in a RE game we were introduced to huge virus infected enemies that required strategy to defeat. I have completed it easily 20+ times and is fun every time (Especially with the Chicago typewriter).

As previous poster stated, The Evil Within is very close to being the spiritual successor to RE4 being headed by Shinji Mikami. I was so happy when it was announced and then I bought it and hated it after dying about 20 times on the first part. But as I progressed and got better weapons and upgrades it turned into a great game that again bought the enemies that required strategy to kill. Although the story was out there it was a great horror game inspired by survival horror.

Man of Honour
@TNA cheers for the response!

You can play Code Veronica on PSNow. If you haven’t played it recently it’d be interesting to hear how much it holds up from your perspective. It is better than I remembered as I said, unfortunately it just runs out of steam in Antarctica. I faired a lot better by fully ‘looting’ the training facility so far less backtracking than my initial play through. Also, Steve is such a terrible character :o :D

Playing REmake and Zero ‘back to back’ I’m amazed that Zero feels so much clunkier and chore like. It should feel like more of the same but it just doesn’t. Shame because I was quite excited to play through it again. Oh yeah; that bat boss is hilarious! The way it picks you up and drops you is soooo annoying. We’ve had a little meme going in our house where if anything ****s you off (toothbrush not charged, washing up to sort) it’s caused by “the bat”.

I did also try playing silent hill 2 but it seemed really archaic by modern standards, unfortunately. It was the HD port which I’ve heard is plagued with problems but I only got a couple of hours into it before I moved on to something else.

I’m not sure how well RE7 could be repeated so RE8 is just a complete ‘guess’ at the moment. I would really rather stay away from ‘zombies’ as I find that sort of tired and overly-done - REmake2 hit the spot for me on that and I don’t think the zombie experience is ever going to get better. Really looking forward to seeing what they put out there.

I view the Evil Within as being more... abstract with its presentation and theme than ‘nonsensical’ in a negative sense. @ZXSpectrum I’m not sure if you agree but I find that the game encourages stealth but then stealth is just a rubbish strategy because the enemies are ultra aware of your presence. So that’s a shame. I think the aesthetic probably carries the les notable pets of game (I.e it is not as ‘mechanically tight’) but I do find it enjoyably different to the RE series whilst having some comparisons to the RE4 style gameplay.

Ranking the RE games as a whole package I’d go with the following, but many of the are very different. Really I lump entries 2, 3 and 4 Below together as all being worthwhile and good.

1. RE4 (simply the best ‘game’ with a spooky theme, large scale, balanced weapons / combat system a rewarding sense of upgrading and exploration).
2. REmake
3. RE7 (notable for being so terrifying)
4. RE2make (excellent core gameplay even if elements from RE2 were lacking)
5. RE2
***quite a gap***
6. R3make (core game is good but feels aggressively short)
7. Code Veronica
8. RE3 (not really a fan of the whole ‘enemy chasing you the whole time’ thing)
9. Revalations - the bonus ‘chapters’ off the boat are terrible.
9. RE0

Years since I played either so I haven’t ranked them..... but I have RE5 and RE6 purchased for a re-play through so I’ll say my thoughts on those in due course. I recall them being in the lower end of the table.

Soldato

Resident Evil 7

Try it VR!! I couldn't finish it and went back to controller - a guy in an orange boiler suit, hurtling down a corridor with an axe raised towards you is genuinely terrifying in VR.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
@TNA cheers for the response!

You can play Code Veronica on PSNow. If you haven’t played it recently it’d be interesting to hear how much it holds up from your perspective. It is better than I remembered as I said, unfortunately it just runs out of steam in Antarctica. I faired a lot better by fully ‘looting’ the training facility so far less backtracking than my initial play through. Also, Steve is such a terrible character :o :D

Playing REmake and Zero ‘back to back’ I’m amazed that Zero feels so much clunkier and chore like. It should feel like more of the same but it just doesn’t. Shame because I was quite excited to play through it again. Oh yeah; that bat boss is hilarious! The way it picks you up and drops you is soooo annoying. We’ve had a little meme going in our house where if anything ****s you off (toothbrush not charged, washing up to sort) it’s caused by “the bat”.

I did also try playing silent hill 2 but it seemed really archaic by modern standards, unfortunately. It was the HD port which I’ve heard is plagued with problems but I only got a couple of hours into it before I moved on to something else.

I’m not sure how well RE7 could be repeated so RE8 is just a complete ‘guess’ at the moment. I would really rather stay away from ‘zombies’ as I find that sort of tired and overly-done - REmake2 hit the spot for me on that and I don’t think the zombie experience is ever going to get better. Really looking forward to seeing what they put out there.

I view the Evil Within as being more... abstract with its presentation and theme than ‘nonsensical’ in a negative sense. @ZXSpectrum I’m not sure if you agree but I find that the game encourages stealth but then stealth is just a rubbish strategy because the enemies are ultra aware of your presence. So that’s a shame. I think the aesthetic probably carries the les notable pets of game (I.e it is not as ‘mechanically tight’) but I do find it enjoyably different to the RE series whilst having some comparisons to the RE4 style gameplay.

Ranking the RE games as a whole package I’d go with the following, but many of the are very different. Really I lump entries 2, 3 and 4 Below together as all being worthwhile and good.

1. RE4 (simply the best ‘game’ with a spooky theme, large scale, balanced weapons / combat system a rewarding sense of upgrading and exploration).
2. REmake
3. RE7 (notable for being so terrifying)
4. RE2make (excellent core gameplay even if elements from RE2 were lacking)
5. RE2
***quite a gap***
6. R3make (core game is good but feels aggressively short)
7. Code Veronica
8. RE3 (not really a fan of the whole ‘enemy chasing you the whole time’ thing)
9. Revalations - the bonus ‘chapters’ off the boat are terrible.
9. RE0

Years since I played either so I haven’t ranked them..... but I have RE5 and RE6 purchased for a re-play through so I’ll say my thoughts on those in due course. I recall them being in the lower end of the table.
Yeah Steve was a little annoying, but I prefer him to say Ethan which I heard we will get to play again in RE8 :(

I played CV a couple of years ago. Still enjoyed it. None of the cross dress stuff bothered me to be honest. Sure they would need to change things up a little in a remake, but no big deal for me. The Antarctica part is not that long as I recall. Never had an issue with it. I would rather that than say the ship in RE7.

As I recall we both enjoy resident evil games for different reasons. To me Resident Evil Remake is what a Resident Evil game is. I like locked doors, backtracking, puzzles etc. Oh and an awesome sound track. The latest RE games do not have memorable sound tracks imo.

Man of Honour
@TNA

Ethan was a bit of a ‘blank canvas’ for sure. I suppose the idea was that you were supposed to feel like you WERE Ethan rather than playing as him.

Yes, I like the spooky aesthetic and enduring through difficulty but I’m now less tolerant of mechanics that slow down the progress of a game although these can be argued (as I think you would suggest) to add to the atmosphere (such as ‘item management’ - when to use an item or ammo is strategic and enjoyable to me, but time spent away from the game with ‘file management’ I can leave).

I do also like ‘upgrading’ and feeling that you are overcoming the odds (by dynamically reacting - like you would in a non-horror game), so that appeals to me in the more ‘action based’ games.
Try it VR!! I couldn't finish it and went back to controller - a guy in an orange boiler suit, hurtling down a corridor with an axe raised towards you is genuinely terrifying in VR.
Yup that’s a hard pass from me :D

Man of Honour
The remake music is awesome. I like the music where a zombie bops through a door and it sounds like a train :cool: doo dodo, doo dodo....

This is the music from Zero that I think is really awesome:

I particularly like how it switches to the ‘jaws’-esque section around about the time you are going “gerrroooofff of meee!!! Gerofffff!!! :(:D

Soldato
Yes, I would agree, especially in the first few chapters of The Evil Within that it promotes stealth but doesn't do it that well and is pretty inconsistent in places. I would have thought that's to conserve ammo in the earlier stages. Iirc there is a few upgrades that help with stealth but by the time you have saved enough to upgrade to them you are normally stacked with Weapons and Ammo.

Soldato
I love the REmake.

I also enjoyed 7 and felt the initial game was brutal. But it kind of tailed off after around 2/3 of the way through where the intensity vanished, primarily because I spent time back tracking and arming myself to the teeth. A large part of the suspense is being outnumbered and out gunned. When that dynamic tips in your favour the game loses its grip in my opinion.

RE2 remake was good also, but wow the colour palette was shocking. Tried every which way with settings but it just looked permanently washed out. Really did reduce my enjoyment because I was constantly aware of it.

Does anyone remember silent hill? Now that was a creepy game! Always wondered why there has not been any modern release of that. I'm not aware of one anyway, but I suppose I could have missed it.

Back
Top Bottom