• Digital Only Version

Votes: 170 16.1%
  • UHD Optical Version

Votes: 659 62.3%
  • Unlikely to buy either

Votes: 228 21.6%

• Total voters
Soldato
Actually, the XSX has quite an ingenious and clever design to separate the heat-generating components so that they're not heating each other, and then maximise airflow across each of them in a similar way to a wind tunnel.......it's ugly as sin (though I'd argue far less conspicuous than the PS5 design), but quite ingenious (assuming it actually works).

I'm left trying to figure out how I can deal with two huge boxes in my lounge that differ so substantially from each other........and both going to be hard to hide from the wife!

I would say the XSX is just bland, not ugly. Designed to blend in like a sonos component.

The PS5 is very much a centrepiece.

Still importantly it has people talking about it, like the old ps welcome to third place adverts. Can't say the same cross media energy was generated from the XSX design when revealed.

Soldato
That's the kicker isn't. For the £500 these consoles are likely to cost you can barely buy a half decent video card never mind a nicely spec'd PC to go along with that GPU. A high end video card now costs DOUBLE what these consoles cost!

not true 5700XT's are £400 to £500 and are more than "barely half decent". I think you will annoy a lot of 5700 owners there. Consoles have always been cheaper that a "decent gaming PC" because they are heavily discounted by MS and Sony. Widely known they make no to little profit even selling them at a loss in the past to increase consumer base. Game sales are where the money is.

You could get two decent PC games for the price of a half decent PS game thats £40-£60. ;)

Soldato
The more i look at it the more hideous it becomes :) i'm not mad though and applaud the creativity.

Xbox One X is where it is at though when it comes to design for my personal tastes. The series X isnt the best as a games console but is inoffensive and you can see why they went with that design (cooling)

PS on the other hand, jeesus. Will reserve full judgement until its in my hands but you can tell its just gonna look weird in TV cabinet. The horizontal stand looks like the console we be hovering mid air on either side which again will probably be a nightmare.

Soldato
The more i look at it the more hideous it becomes :) i'm not mad though and applaud the creativity.

Xbox One X is where it is at though when it comes to design for my personal tastes. The series X isnt the best as a games console but is inoffensive and you can see why they went with that design (cooling)

PS on the other hand, jeesus. Will reserve full judgement until its in my hands but you can tell its just gonna look weird in TV cabinet. The horizontal stand looks like the console we be hovering mid air on either side which again will probably be a nightmare.

There will be load of alternatives on Thingiverse once someone can scan the console into a model.

Associate
I would say the XSX is just bland, not ugly. Designed to blend in like a sonos component.

The PS5 is very much a centrepiece.

Still importantly it has people talking about it, like the old ps welcome to third place adverts. Can't say the same cross media energy was generated from the XSX design when revealed.
Ok, ugly may be a bit harsh around the XSX.......perhaps "Industrial" is a better descriptor, and assuming they use the right materials then it may well come out looking quite premium.

The PS5 may well be designed as a centrepiece.........but that's not what I want under my TV! I want anything that'll be sat in view to be as inconspicuous as possible and preferably out of sight.

They have both got alternative solutions to thermal problems associated with high end consoles, though both seem to rely on heat rising out of the top.......which leads me to think laying them flat and putting them in a cabinet would be a recipe for disaster - this may end up particularly true of the PS5 as it is bulbous at both ends, which may lead to heat being trapped in what would otherwise be the base end if laid flat.........can I also mention that I find all those vents trigger my OCD around dust and fluff accumulation!

Soldato
I've been thinking all day and just looking at my PS VR headset.

With them stating that the VR will still work on PS4, anyone else noticed the headset actually matches the colour scheme and aesthetics of the new console?

Coincidence? Maybe not.

I also highly doubt we will get a price or list of launch titles till at least September.

Soldato
DBrand to the rescue, i think i fixed it

https://dbrand.com/shop/sony-ps5-skins

dbrabnd.jpg

Soldato
I've been thinking all day and just looking at my PS VR headset.

With them stating that the VR will still work on PS4, anyone else noticed the headset actually matches the colour scheme and aesthetics of the new console?

Coincidence? Maybe not.

Agree, I Was thinking exactly the same thing. The new console looks like a cross between the PlaystationVR Headset and Astrobot.

Does make you think they have some major plans for a new VR headset and a move to tout Astrobot as their company mascot to rival Mario, Sonic, etc!

Associate
Spider-Man Miles Morales confirmed as a new stand-alone game. Will probably be shorter like Lost Legacy, but still better than what was reported earlier.

Soldato
Agree, I Was thinking exactly the same thing. The new console looks like a cross between the PlaystationVR Headset and Astrobot.

Does make you think they have some major plans for a new VR headset and a move to tout Astrobot as their company mascot to rival Mario, Sonic, etc!
I don't even think they need a new headset just yet. This one works fine and also the controllers will not be changing as the controller still has the led colour strip.

Sit the vr headset next to that new set of headphones and tell me they don't compliment each other.

Soldato
I still think going above £499 and having a price starting with a 5 will be a big problem for a lot of people, £529 over say £499 just seems a big step even if it is only £30. £499 digi and £549 full fat?

Caporegime
It's an 8 core Ryzen, 9TF GPU, 4k UHD with a custom 1TBish super fast SSD box, no way its gonna be sub £500

£500 & £550-£600 (Drive version)

And i think its worth it.

Sony are buying in bulk with a pre-negotiated long term contract though so their bill of materials won't be comparable to today's retail prices, AMD will have given them a pretty good discount just to secure a guaranteed source of income over the next 6-7 years and it's good publicity for them to be powering consoles.

Caporegime
I’m feeling for parents with this one. Gonna be an expensive Christmas.

I remember when I was a kid, I always got the latest console at Christmas, but they was like £150 odd back then. I can see the PS4 having a few years left yet. So many parents are simply going to be unable to afford it.

Soldato
People moaning over a 5 - 600 piece of tech that's gonna last 5 years plus but think nothing of spending 1000 on the latest smartphone

makes me laugh

Back
Top Bottom